Nikon Announcement this week (2/18-2/20)

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by Scottwdw, Feb 18, 2013.

1. ELinder

ELinder Member

Or I could sell you a lightly used D7000. :D

Erich

2. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Thanks for the offer but I regretfully decline. ; :D

3. ELinder

ELinder Member

I've been thinking about the extra 1.3x crop. I've decided that other than the extra 1 frame per sec it's basically advertising doodoo. It is not giving you any kind of extra reach over the standard field of view the sensor already has. Cropping the frame or only using part of the sensor is no different that the crop tool in Photoshop. Now, if they figured out a way to use the whole sensor in the crop area, that'd be different and revolutionary.

Having said that, if the D300s derived autofocus really delivers over the D7000, that alone will probably get me to upgrade. The increased 3 to 5 frame bracket function is a bonus too.

Erich

4. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

This is interesting.

So Nikon USA has called the D7100 the flagship of Nikon's DX line.

Nikon Europe is just calling it an enthusiast camera, and has publicly answered emails that the D7100 is not replacing the D300s. ; So someone didn't get the memo OR doesn't want to crater the sales of cameras they still have in inventory.

Heck Sony's announcement last week isn't even official for the U.S. yet. ; That happens tomorrow.

5. ELinder

ELinder Member

Yeah, way to inspire faith in your customers. Either way they just lost or significantly postponed a lot of sales.

Erich

6. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

As Thom Hogan has pointed out (and myself, too), Nikon has left plenty of room in the specs and pricing for a Pro DX class body. ; Now, when that will happen is anyone's guess. ; One Japan source said June of this year. ; Maybe Nikon will wait for Canon's rumored 7D Mk II to be announced.

One could get the D7100 and if Nikon announces a D400 or whatever, sell it and get the new one.

7. ELinder

ELinder Member

Scott, STOP THAT! I'm trying to talk myself out of doing exactly that. :D