New Audio-Animatronics for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Creepy or What?

Discussion in 'Disney News, Rumors and Current Events' started by John Frost, Apr 11, 2014.

?

Are the next-gen audio-animatronic figures creepy or not?

Poll closed Apr 18, 2014.
  1. Very Creepy, deep in the uncanny valley

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. A little weird

11.1%
  3. It's new but I'm okay with it

22.2%
  4. Love it. Makes them come alive

66.7%
  1. John Frost

John Frost Global Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

I just posted video of the new animatronic figures for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train in the Magic Kingdom's new fantasyland and I'm trying to decide if they are creepy or not. What do you think?

Attached Files:

Sean likes this.
  2. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Remember that they are trying to keep the dwarfs looking as they do in the cartoon, and I think that this gives them the ability to do just that. I don't think that something like this would work with an actual person's face, but this I like.

3. Sean

Sean Administrator Staff Member

I think that photo is blown out, if it wasn't so big and a little more shaper then this Dwarf wouldn't creep me out.. The video looks cool.

A second look at the video the faces on the dwarfs look like a projection and not a real face. If that is the case then i don't like them. They need to have real faces

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  4. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I tend to agree with Jeff - it might not be as acceptable with a human-like animatronic, but for this particular application, I think it works great - very good movement, and the face projections are lively and keep the cartoon look authentic.

5. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

I think it looks great!

6. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Video on YouTube looks better than the photo.

7. ayesell

ayesell Member

I will withhold judgement until I take the actual ride. I am hoping that it has a better appeal live than on the video.

8. mSummers

mSummers Member

I'm reserving judgement until I see them as well. However, I expect them to be difficult to photograph

9. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

They will prove to be an interesting photo challenge for sure

10. Looks interesting, but not really sure I like the projection faces. But, who knows. I'll probably love it once I ride it.

11. John Frost

I was thinking about this the other day. What is most creepy is the flatness of the eyes and lips. We expect there to be roundness to them when they're this 'realistic' but they're obviously flat projections. It works on Cars and Lumiere because we expect a car or candle to have a flat surface and no lips. But a face should have detail and curves.

That said, I can't wait to see them in person to see how the effect actually works

12. QueenElsa

QueenElsa Member

I'm a huge audio-animatronic nerd, so I love this video..I agree that the projections make them a little less effective/realistic,I'm not a huge fan of that. That being said, it's hard to tell from a video how it really works...I guess we'll see once we take a ride how it looks in person!

13. Wolfhyrr

Wolfhyrr Member

Thanks, now I'm gonna have nightmares.

I think im better off watching Rammstein's videoclip "Sonne"

14. John Frost