Neutral Density Filters...

Discussion in 'Photography 101' started by RedOctober25, Oct 16, 2010.

1. goofmick

goofmick Member

Very cool Scott!!

2. Took the leap and got the Hoya 58mm 8x. Excited to try it out in a little more than 3 weeks!

3. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Well, I finally got to use my new ND filters. ; This was shot with both the 0.6 and 0.9 attached to the lens.

[​IMG]
    Sony DSC-H50, 8s, F2.8, ISO 200, +0, 7.9mm Focal Length

4. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

[​IMG] ; And the long shot with the Astro Orbitor spinning out of control (well, not really)...

5. RocketTom

RocketTom Member

Hopefully I'm not muddying the waters here, but another kind of ND filter to think about your filter arsenal is a graduated neutral density filter. I found that light reflected off of water looses a couple of stops (or more). when getting fireworks on water, the results are colors look more saturated but washed out in the sky.

[​IMG]

With a graduated neutral density filter, part is clear, part is ND with a gradual fall off between the two. By aligning the graduation on or around the horizon, you can "turn down" the f/stops for the pyro but let the reflections come on in.
    [​IMG]

It also works for almost any reflections as well. I would have had a tough(er) time with this one without the grad ND.
    [​IMG]

Now, truth be told, I can also "imitate" a graduated ND filter by putting my hand over the lens roughly in the area I want to dim out, and then move my hand around during the exposure before pulling it out of the way. This works best with an exposure of more than a few seconds, and it's also easy to overdo it, but it works in a pinch.

Oh, I bought Conkin grad ND filters - and wish I had held out for a better set. They are not coated and tend to reflect horribly for bright specular points of light (like fireworks). ; :mad:

6. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Very nice shots Red and Tom!!