netbook vs notebook vs pc

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by gary, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Parallels is one of the two major virtualization software available for Mac OS X that will allow you to run Windows 7 inside a window, rather than booting straight into it via Apple's Boot Camp.[nb]I'm running Vista Business via BootCamp at work[/nb]

2. gary

gary Member

all right, if macs are superior for graphics/photo work, other than the cost of replacing programs, why would anyone want to run windows inside a mac???
    i ask a lot of questions because as i've stated, i'm clearly techno impaired

3. Roger

For the programs that you can't run on a Mac for whatever reason, such as business software.

4. Dan

Dan Member

I've NEVER accepted the "macs are better for graphics work" line. ; I think it would have been more accurate to say that macs were preferred by graphics professionals. ; The difference is perception (or fashion) over capability.

At the current time I, as a PC user (I'm no MS fanboy, they angered me with Vista and now I'm hyper skeptical about Windows 7, but still I do like my PC), have to at least point out that there is no 64 bit version of the latest adobe products for Macs. ; That means that even if you load up with 8 gigs of memory you won't necessarily be able to use all of it for graphics applications. ; If you start getting into very large files you won't get the benefit of greater memory usage that 64 bit mode would give you. ; You'll still have multitasking, multiple programs could each use a share of the larger capacity, but one application won't be able to use it all if you should need it.

I'm not suggesting this is due to inherent system superiority, I fully admit that Macs have made a much more graceful transition to 64 bit support. ; But I have to guess that for some reason this is harder for Adobe to manage on a Mac than a PC, otherwise they wouldn't withhold such a capability from what was supposed to be the core graphics professional system. ; I think this has been this way at least from CS3, so the limitation has been with us for two generations now.

If you're planning to keep the system for such a long time then perhaps eventually Adobe may start offering such functionality.. but at the moment it isn't there.

5. Roger

Well hopefully Snow Leopard will help fix things :)

6. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

for what it's worth, i am LOVING my netbook!

CLICK HERE!

$30 mail in rebate for another few days!

7. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

I am looking forward to using my new Netbook (Samsung NC-10) mainly for its portability. ; I am also considering purchasing a MyBook World Edition Hard Drive so that I can upload my photos directly to my home server from Disney (as long as I have the DVC free internet access). ; That might be an option for anyone with Broadband service (I think only my parents have dial-up as they live in the boonies). ; I figure that way I don't have to travel with my smaller portable hard drive (one less piece of equipment to get lost).