My trip Thanksgiving weekend

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by missjillian, Nov 16, 2007.

1. missjillian

missjillian Member

Hi there! We're taking our kids to Disneyland in Anaheim Thanksgiving weekend. Our last trip in April I took a zillion shots all over park! This time, all of the Christmas decorations will be up and am excited to get some night shots. I tried last time to get some night shots of princess castle, and they just wouldn't turn out right. Now, since my kids are with and the trip is for them, I have enough to carry, so I won't be taking a tripod. I have a canon rebel xti with onboard flash. (I will won't be getting an external flash untill after Christmas unfortunately) I'm sure this subject has been covered by your forum before, but am new to this site and haven't found it yet. If anyone has any advice for me on night shots,especialy the castle), I would much appreciate it! Should I shoot manual or program? Thanks bunches!!
    Nice to meet you all!

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

hi jillian...
    i would recommend neither manual nor program for shooting the castle. manual will just frustrate the bejeezus out of you and program is not much more than advanced auto. personally, i would go Av at f/5.6 to f/8.0. to do this properly, you will need a tripod because it takes TIME to properly get the exposure. sleeping beauty castle is not as bright as cinderella castle in florida. try raising your ISO up higher (you can go up to 1600) to decrease the amount of time needed to get your photo and keep trying.

[​IMG]
    Exposure time 4 s
    F-number f/8
    Exposure program Aperture priority
    ISO speed ratings ISO 100
    Exposure bias value -0.67 eV

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. gary

gary Member

consider a relatively small lightweight and inexpensive table top tripod, check out the b&h site to see the various models and pricing

it'll be worth it if you can find that top of a trash can, also check out something called the gorillapod, it's a flexible leg type holder that could be wrapped around railings, etc, can't hold a heavy zoom, but could do for an xti and 17-55 or so setup

4. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Bring a tripod, trust me....

It will be VERY difficult to get the new effect of the castle without one. And I'm not talking about Tim's castle.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014