MagicMeets 2009 Recap

Discussion in 'PIXELMANIA!' started by Tim, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Paul

Paul Member

I'm sure there is an App(iPhone) for that!

Royal Caribbean, that is a surprise, thought for sure it would be Disney Cruise. ; But no doubt about it, RCL is more affordable based on my past experinces.

2. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

looks like a great presentation Tim!
    Pixelmania will be awesome!

3. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Nancy and I are still scratching our heads on this choice. ; Even though it's cheaper, everything we've heard from my mother-in-law (Nancy's mom) who is a big cruiser, is that RC and the other non-DCL cruise lines are not very "kid friendly" or "family friendly". ; From what we gathered from her, she wouldn't be surprised if the group wouldn't be very welcome by the other passengers with all their Disney-infused family fun

4. Deniz

Deniz Member

The pics looks like it really was a great success! ; Congrats, Tim (with a shout-out to Gary!), on continuing to expand the TMIP community.

5. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Thanks for correcting my name, Scott. ; ;)

Here's one of Tim and Billy:

[​IMG]

More shots on my flickr page: ; http://www.flickr.com/photos/ddindy

6. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I wouldn't worry. ; I'm a REAL big cruiser, and my mother and father are...well they should just own a ship...they cruise that often. ; I've been on 27 cruises, including Royal Caribbean 9 times. ; In order of kid and family friendliness, I'd put them 3rd behind Disney and Carnival...well ahead of all other competitors (and nearly tied with Carnival). There are kid zones, teen clubs, tons of families, lots of action games and things to do all the time on board. ; In fact, my mother and stepfather don't prefer to go on RCCL for that reason...they rank it with Carnival as just being TOO populated with kids and families...they cruise most of the time on Holland America, Celebrity, Crystal, Princess, or Costa.

The primary difference with Carnival and RCCL is that RCCL tends to have more elegantly designed ships in the majority of the space, with the louder designs reserved for the kid-only places. ; With Carnival, the whole ship is a mass of neon and color and shapes - bold or tacky depending on your personal style. ; Disney sits somewhere in between, with some classic nautical designs and lovely expensive looking lounges here and there, and more fun-centered kid areas, but with more of the common areas of the ship slightly more Disney themed.

Anything you want to know about cruising, ask - I've been on Grandeur of the Seas years ago, and as always with RCCL, it was a lovely ship.

My 27 cruises pale in comparison to my parents' 140+ cruises - especially since most of mine are 7-10 days, while most of theirs are 20-50 days. ; They are gone probably half the year on cruises...8-10 a year nowadays. ; They introduced me to cruising when I was a kid, and I've loved it ever since...but since they hit retirement, they practically live around the world ("Hi ma...where are you now? ; Oh...you're in Ushuaia, huh? ; How is it?". ; "Oh hey ma...what's up? ; Oh, you're calling from Dubrovnik...well, how's the weather?").

7. zackiedawg

OH and by the way...nice pics, and WOWEE Tim, what a crowd!! ; You're becoming a star...might need to pick up your autograph on my Pixelmania pass so I can hit Antiques Roadshow in 20 years and become a millionaire!

8. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice photos Scott! ; Thanks for sharing them with all of us who weren't there.

9. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

flattery gets you everywhere, my friend. ; thanks for the props though.

10. Tim

first time i have ever been drawn into a cartoon...
    "MagicMeets" by Chris Eliopolis
    Fetched a pretty penny for the Dream Team Auction...

11. zackiedawg

Now that's a pretty nifty honor!

12. Tim

i was amazed, humbled, and grateful the whole day through. ; it was a wonderful experience. ;

13. goofmick

goofmick Member

Very Cool!!

14. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I bid on that item a couple of times, but the price just got too high. ; If I had taken a closer look and saw that you were in it, Tim, I probably would have bid more.

I chatted with Chris briefly at the end of the day. ; He seems like a nice guy.

15. Tim

i am sure you did your part to help toward the total, dennis. ; it was great seeing you and thanks for the show of TMIP support!

16. Tim

tim and gary rocking it at magicmeets...
    [​IMG]

photo by marc lorenzo, posted to facebook.

17. mSummers

mSummers Member

Very Cool! ; Congrats Tim

18. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

It was a fun day to cover and I'm happy to share the TMIP adventures there with you all. ; Here's the announced Dream Team Auction tally that day (it has since been rounded up to an even $27,000).

[​IMG]

Proud to say, Tim's and mine framed prints helped some in that auction total.

19. Tim

another great one, scott. ; keep them coming!

20. zackiedawg

Well done both of you for helping out for charity!