Mac Users - Fusion, SSD or Harddrive?

Discussion in 'Misc. Posting Board' started by Nancy AK, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Nancy AK

Nancy AK Member

I’ve been using a MacBook Pro and looking to upgrade to a iMac, probably a 21.5 I’m not a big fan of a desktop, but think this is the best option over a MacBook? I just I think the SSD Drive is the best? What about a Fusion Drive? Thank you for any help.

2. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

we have a 2tb fusion drive. it seems fine. our computer is a 2015 iMac. Our next computer though, will have a bigger hard drive. I will probably get at least a 4tb fusion drive.

3. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

SSDs are blindingly fast, but I wouldn't rely on one for long-term storage of things like photos. If a Mac has the equivalent of a Windows C: drive, where the operating system lives, that's where I'd use an SSD.

mSummers likes this.
  4. gary

gary Member

and i would get a multiple bay external storage to keep your photos on, either a drobo or an nas drive, i currently have one of each, an older 4 bay drobo with 3tb drives x 4, set up in raid 1, so basically two 6 tb storage areas, i have a 2 bay nas that has two 8tb drives, that currently is the backup to my 2tb iTunes drive, and will as i get time become yet another repository for some very meaningful family photos such as grandpas 100th birthday, parents 50th anniversary etc. i was considering yet another was enclosure, and set it up at my mothers house giving me yet another backup which would be 16 miles away and theoretically safe from disaster at my home, alas she is probably moving to assisted living in pennsylvania, which leaves me looking for another offsite modem to hook to. i have 4 additional drives with various things on them, although this winter i intend to do a little house cleaning and get some stray photos onto the drobo
    i just got an iMac pro right after pixelmania, i have my LG 25 inch as the second monitor so lightroom module is on the iMac a large photo to really see edits on the LG, 64 gb ram, and this thing is a speed demon, and it can muscle those sony files without any slowdown

Nancy AK and mSummers like this.
  5. gary

gary Member

dennis mac does have the version of a c drive, my new iMac has a 1tb ssd drive where os catalina and other programs/apps all live, i keep nothing for long term storage on it though, everything, including time machine automated backups are on external drives, i am a big proponent of external drives , i currently have 6 , incl the NAS and the drobo

6. Nancy AK

Nancy AK Member

Thank you
    Gary, I’m going have to check out these external Harddrives for storage.

7. gary

gary Member

nancy, external drives are really easy, drobo and the other conventional drives just plug right into the iMac, mine has 8 ports, 4 usb and 4 of the other usb-c i think they are called, and i have a powered usb hub, has its own power adapter to plug in and can take 6 other devices, i run the smaller drives and the cd burner through that, the NAS plugs right into my internet modem, i even named my drobo "photo backup"

Nancy AK likes this.
  8. Nancy AK

Nancy AK Member

Gary, thank you.