Location to photograph Illuminations

Discussion in 'Epcot Photos' started by Sonny Eclipse (Colin C), Jan 25, 2011.

1. So I'm heading down in a few weeks and want to try and get some unique shots of Illuminations (unique to me that is). I typically pull up to a rail and take your shots across the lagoon but I'm looking for a recommendation on a different location.

I have heard that some people set up in Canada or Japan but I'm not entirely sure where.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a different perspective of the show beaides lagoon side?

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

mexico and norway offer clear, unobstructed views right on the rail. ; italy is another good place as long as there are no dessert parties.

3. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

The 2nd floor of the Japan pavilion's main building can be an interesting perspective, because you get the high-up over-the-crowd look, a wider scope, and can shoot more of the foreground scenery with the show, including the Japan gate. ; I'd imagine the 2nd floor of Canada might be similar, though I haven't tried that one.

I also like the bridge between France & UK, especially closer to the UK side - because you can get the Rose & Crown's wall and seating area in the shot for some perspective and interest - the people watching from down there and the courtyard lights.

If you can stake out a seat in the new Mexico waterside restaurant area, they have nice outdoor seating out over the water with a great view...it fills early though. ; Make reservations inside and you can get lucky with a window seat of the show from indoors, behind floor-to-ceiling windows and an unobstructed view of the lake.

4. I like the Japan idea. I suppose you have to get there early to nab a spot?

5. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Yeah, if it's crowded you'd probably need to stake it out a few hours before to get the primo corner, or at least an hour before if you don't mind squeezing in just behind someone else. ; If you have a tall enough tripod and let the people in front of you know you'll be shooting between their shoulders, you should still do OK. ; Try coming last-minute though, and you likely aren't getting up on that 2nd deck!

6. mSummers

mSummers Member

Maybe I got lucky in December, but I was the 2nd person on the balcony at Japan and I only got there about 20 min before showtime after shooting Wishes from the TTC and taking the monorail over to EPCOT.

Here's one of my shots from that night:

[​IMG]

The Torii Gate and the pine tree create a nice anchor for the shot.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  7. RocketTom

RocketTom Member

I agree - looks good! Adds just enough mix into the picture.

8. That's a great perspective. I especially like the silhouettes of the guests against the bright reflections on the water. (The little head with Mouse Ears is great!)

9. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Awesome shot Mike.

Yet another Incredible poster.

10. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

I agree with everyones thoughts, that is a great shot Michael!

11. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks guys!