iPhone coming to Canada. Anyone interested?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ham Ham, May 27, 2008.

1. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

Rogers anounced in April that the iPone is finally coming to Canada. Sure some first adopters have bought iphones form the states and other places and have hacked them so they work up here.

The grapevine thinks that ; Steve Jobs, Apple Guru, may be be unveiling the new 3G iPhone on June 9th.

Finding an iphone ; for purchase outside of normal retail channels is almost impossible.

Is anyone planning to purchase one once they are released up here?

I for one am very interested to replace the 3 devices I carry around with one
    Here's what I currently use. iPod Nano 2G 2nd generation, Palm TX for my agenda, contacts and when I need it Wifi, and a Siemens M55 unlocked GSm phone.
    I washed my Motorola Razr V3 a few weeks ago, found it after it had gone through the dryer.
    Surprisingly it still worked. Only problems were the navigation & # 9 keys didn't work. It would have been just ; a matter of ime before the phone fialed.
    Didn't want to upgrade my phone via rogers as it would lock me into a 2 year plan.

Being able surf the net when from my phone in no huge priority for me. But I do want one device that doe it all.
    I wonder how much the ipone will cost if I don't want a data plan?
    Here's a look at AT&T monthly plans for the iphones.
    [​IMG]

Is this the a shot of the back of the new iPhone?
    [​IMG]

More images or fun with photoshop?
    [​IMG]

2. Being a self professed geek, I would love a I-Phone, what I have a huge problem with is the data rates that we have to pay for in Canada. The US has much better rates. I think that Rogers and Bell need to rethink the billing structure.

3. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

4. realfam

realfam Member

The iphone looks really cool, but I just got the new blackberry with GPS on it. ; I absolutely love it! ; I use the GPS all the time. ;
    I understand Blackberry is going to come out with something similar to the iphone later this year. ; I love gadgets.

5. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

Look like Rogers has an embargo on vacation for its managers from the end of June to mid-July.

On a side note, an informant from Rogers Wireless contacted me with news regarding vacation blackout dates for managers. From June 23-July 16, all managers at Rogers Wireless locations will be unable to book holidays. Last year the same deal was in effect at AT&T stores in the USA–and we all know what happened after that.

Complete info.
    http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone-new ... u-preview/

Latest images?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Complete info
    http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/06/06/br ... and-check/

6. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

Steve Jobs head of Apple will be addressing the World Wide Developers Conference today at 10:00PST/13:00 EDT.
    The buzz is that he will unviel the latest iphone.

As of 11:57 EDT Apple Canada's store site is down with a message saying they'll be back soon. An iphone tap now appears
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/W ... store.woa/
    [​IMG]

7. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

8. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

Apple is playing IASW music while Steve Jobs talks about how many countries the new iphone is coming to.

9. Csaks

Csaks Member

Cell phones with GPS, music, videos and internet?

Will my 80's brick cell phone be able to do all this with an upgrade??? ;D ;D ;D

I want to see if you can find a picture of that Ham Ham!

Chris.

10. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    WWII Radio

My first cell in 1988
    [​IMG]

11. highland3

highland3 Member

Ah.... there was never a doubt in my mind!

Gee... I still have one of those bag phones in the closet!!!

12. Csaks

Csaks Member

ROTGLMAO

I give up! ; ;D

13. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

Rogers has released their data rates for the iPhone a very data dependent device.
    http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wirel ... a_packages

A lot of Canadians are disappointed with the plans offered by Rogers.

Here's a link to a blogger comparing the plans to what the folks in the US pay with AT&T.
    http://www.quicklybored.com/2008/07/rog ... oh-canada/

I was eagerly awaiting the arrival of the iPhone but now don't know if I'll be picking one up.
    Not being a user of Mobile data I'm not sure how much I need. Don't have any big problems with signing up for a three year plan if it has what I need.

Here's a link to a petition where folks can let Rogers know how they feel.

http://www.ruinediphone.com/
    [​IMG]

14. Northernmouse

Northernmouse Member

Not a friggen chance with those prices what a ripoff But its Rogers I wouldn't have expected any less.

15. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

I've been pretty pleased with Rogers service for our internet, cable and cell service.

Anyone have insights on how much data I need?

Grabbed this info from www.iphoneincanada.com

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone-rog ... 3g-uproar/

Here are a few examples of websites and how much data it takes to load them…keep in mind this is just the FIRST page of your visit:
    iPhoneinCanada.ca - 710KB
    iPhoneinCanada.ca Forums - 178KB
    GlobeandMail.com - 859KB
    Google.ca - 11KB (thank you Google)
    Facebook.com - 174KB
    eBay.ca - 241KB
    CBC.ca News - 409KB
    MySpace.com - 151KB
    FutureShop.ca - 163KB
    CNN.com 666KB
    =========================
    Grand total: 3562KB; 3.5MB x 4 pages from each site = 14MB
    (stats calculated by WebPageAnalyzer)

16. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

Don't know if Rogers felt some heat ; but they announced a new data plan that iPhone clients can sign up for with 6 GB of data per month until Aug 31.

Click on ; headline for complete article

Rogers caves to complains, unveils new data plan
    MATT HARTLEY
    Globe and Mail Update
    July 9, 2008 at 11:52 AM EDT
    Bowing to public pressure, Rogers Wireless Inc. has opted to slash its data fees as the launch of the iPhone draws near.

Customers who purchase an iPhone and sign up for a three-year contract any time between July 11 – when the device goes on sale – and the end of August will be eligible for a $30-per-month data plan giving them access to 6-Gigabytes of data. Rogers previously had charged $100 for a 6-GB plan

Don't know if this will motivate anybody to buy one. I think 6GB will be enough for ; me but I'm still planning to boycott iPhone on launch day July 11.

17. I love the iPhone but refuse to pay. I too will not be getting one.

I like that they have reduced the rates. Lets just hope that they keep this initiative and lower the rest of the rates.....

18. Northernmouse

Northernmouse Member

Give me 1gig for 5 bucks then were talking this is still not worth it in my opinion. You still need a phone plan so
    $30 for the phone plan $30 for the data is still $60 minimum yes you get more data but the issue is the cost not the amount of data so much.

19. realfam

realfam Member

I think there very cool, but I got a new Blackberry Curve in Jan. ; I should look into my data package price though, since I am with Rogers.

20. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

Finally a reason to buy iPhone.

Click on headline for link to original article.

Walt Disney launches cartoon card game for iPhone
    Mickey's going home a pauper tonight...

Product: Disney's All Star Cards
    Publisher: Disney Mobile Studios
    Genre: Card/ board game

by Stuart Dredge
    Who on earth trusts their child with their iPhone? If you're one of those brave/mad people (delete as appropriate), then Disney's All Star Cards is the game to get them playing.

It sees you playing various card games, including Go Fish, Hearts, Crazy 8's and Solitaire, against a parade of Disney characters.

I'm talking Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald and Daisy. The games are presented with a neat first-person viewpoint, so you can stare into the whites of their eyes.

[​IMG]

As you play, you collect Pixie Dust which lets you customise your cards and even tweak the rules.

It sounds like a treat for Disney fans - and come to think of it, there may be a lot of first-generation iPhones being passed on to children tomorrow when mum or dad upgrades to the 3G model. So this could be a hit!

Expect to pay £5.99 for it. The App Store product page is here.