I was asked to stop taking photos at Pleasure Island

Discussion in 'WDW Resorts / Downtown / Rest of WDW' started by Grumpwurst, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gary

gary Member

"Excuse me sir, we have plenty of PhotoPassâ„¢ photographers using the ultimate in Nikonâ„¢ lenses with Kodakâ„¢ digital cards for the highest quality pictures that will take better pictures than you can"

oh yeah, the photopass cm's are all highly trained, educated and experienced photo professionals, ever walk up to one and ask a couple tech questions about their nikons, my sample size was small, only 2, but i wasn't impressed in the least, nice people, but somewhat akin to me being assigned to do neurosurgery tommorrow morning, yeah i've got some clues, but no expertise
    and i was just interested in how they were synching the flash, and a couple iso/aperture tips, maybe poach the spot a little

actually i have to modify this, i have stayed in a few holiday inns, although was before the smart rays being beamed into you during your sleep,
    come to think of it i do feel smarter, anybody need or want a little surgery, free to forum members

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

From DisneyWorld.com (link: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/co ... meParkPage)

Q. Are there any personal items I should not bring with me into the Theme Parks?
    A. Items that you may not bring into the Theme Parks include, but are not limited to:

* Items with wheels, such as wagons, skateboards, scooters, inline skates, shoes with built-in wheels, two-wheeled or three-wheeled conveyances, strollers larger than 36" x 52", suitcases, coolers, or backpacks with or without wheels larger than 24" long x 15" wide x 18" high (coolers required for medication may be stored in a locker or at Guest Relations), and any trailer-like object that is pushed or towed by an ECV wheelchair or stroller
    * Alcoholic beverages
    * Weapons of any kind
    * Folding chairs
    * Glass containers (excluding baby food jars and perfume bottles)
    * Pets (unless they are service animals)
    * In Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park (for the safety of the wildlife), balloons, straws and drink lids are not permitted.

No mention of tripods or specific camera equipment.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. Scott

Scott Member

Phew! At least perfume bottles are still OK!!

4. nrose101

nrose101 Member

The more and more I look into this the more I agree with everyone else here. It was an overzealous security guard.

5. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Well, I can say that if the Security Guard was over zealous, he was very nice compared to other over zealous cops/rent-a-cops I've dealt with in the past.

As I was telling someone else, he was someone else's messenger boy because he had to yank out his headset because the amount of chatter was hurting his ears and it seemed to directed toward my activities. So, it could be that the over zealous security guard was really the one behind the scenes viewing the video monitors.

I'll be taking my tripod to the parks again on Friday when I go to Mickey's Not-So-Scary. Let's see if something is said to me.

You also have to note that yesterday security was heightened all over the Disney theme parks because the NASA astronauts were in the parks and Secret Service was all over the parks everywhere (this was told to me and my wife by several cast members).

6. modemmike

modemmike Member

I have heard it before but it is only enforced when the camera operator is causing an obstruction of some sort... they were just bored that night because the place dead as usual... you know it is bad when they have to advertise free parking. I already posted my feelings about it on my site but basically it is just another nail in Pleasure Island coffin. I guess I will be taking my unipod from now as well (kind of hard to argue about a stick!).

7. Dan

Dan Member

This is very interesting. I've only heard of one other instance where a security guard hassled a photographer at Disney World, and it was also at Pleasure Island.

This was a different instance, but the fact that the only two times I've heard of this happening have both been at PI makes me wonder. In this instance it was daytime (I think), and the guard explained that the photographer in question had been taking a lot of pictures of the buildings at PI and that, for some vague reason, that was cause for suspicion. Yeah, like it's a shock that someone might want to take pictures of the buildings at Disney World, right?

To be fair, I think the story was told that the guard had that "just doing my job" thing going, he wasn't being overzealous or nasty, he had apparently been told to intercept this guy and talk to him, so he did. I don't think the photographer was ever told he shouldn't be doing what he was doing, I think it ended okay, he just had to explain that he liked the buildings in the area and wanted to take pictures of them. That he had to do that at all (explain it) is idiotic beyond belief, but I'm just trying to reinforce that, again, the security guard seemed nice enough about it.

Two stories isn't enough to draw strong conclusions from, but I wonder if it's Pleasure Island. Perhaps they treat it differently because it's more like a mall than a theme park. It's just that you'd think people would be more likely to take a tripod into the parks than to PI, when I think night photography at Disney World I do not think Pleasure Island. So I'd expect more stories of trouble in the parks if this was an official policy that was being enforced.

In any case I sure hope not. I have big night photography plans. This is supposed to be the year I'm freed from having to set up my mini tripod on trash cans. My tripod is a bit bigger than the Velbon that's so favored around here, I'm probably running a greater risk of being denied at the bag checkpoint, but I REALLY hope they'll be cool about it. There are so many shots I want to get.

8. jcvalenti

jcvalenti Member

It sounds like either a Pleasure Island specific rule, or an overzelous security guy. At least I'm hoping that's what it is - I just blew a LOT on a brand new 5D and a Velbon Luxi F tripod because Tim told me to and if I can't bring it to Epcot next year to shoot night shots for my photo series on "drinking throughout the world", I'm going to be very peeved.

9. mSummers

mSummers Member

With the Secret Service there, it could have been a one day ban on tripods as part of their security effort. If you've ever tried to take a picture of the White House at night, you know how picky they about tripods...

10. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Why Secret Service for astronauts? Was Jenna or Barbara there? Maybe Jenna and her fiance? Maybe one of the 148 presidential candidates?

Ron Paul?

11. gary

gary Member

maybe the secret service was protecting us from the diaper wearing psychotic astronauts????

12. Grumpwurst

Because they are still trying to convince the United States that astronauts are national heros

13. Grumpwurst

Michael, from Explore the Magic, spoke with Downtown Disney Security today. He was told that Downtown Disney/Pleasure Island have their own security policies separate from that of the rest of WDW resort property.

The policy, as written, is that Disney Security is supposed to approach the photographer and ask if they are a professional or not. If they state that they are a professional, then they are to be asked to take pictures without a tripod. Otherwise, we are to be left alone.

The person he spoke to was a bit upset that we didn't get the guy's name because he was going to have a talk with him.

14. Dan

Dan Member

Woah.. WEIRD policy.. but I guess I can't complain. Actually I'm thrilled to hear that they give amateurs greater leeway. I've never heard of such a thing before, I'm all too used to anyone with a camera that's not a point and shoot being lumped into the "could be a pro" category and blocked.

15. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I am glad to see that we have gotten this clarified.

16. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

My aunt e-mailed me last night to essentially confirm the same thing. She talked to a few friends in security at MGM (I don't care...I'm still calling it that) and they said they are told to ask a person with alot of kit if they are a professional photographer. If so, they are asked to not use their tripod or take pictures of a Disney character (!). But they have no instructions to ban tripod use in the parks.

I know I've been asked by security if I was a professional - I'm sure many others here have as well. I always took it as friendly small-talk...but since my answer is always 'no', I guess I never realized there was motive behind the question. It doesn't happen if I just walk in with my camera - but the times I've entered the park with my full camera bag AND tripod, I've been asked the question. And always gotten in with no problems.

I feel better now. Though I must admit the evil-twin in me is definately wanting to head over to Pleasure Island with my full bag and tripod and start snapping away, just to see if I get any guff. Especially now armed with the news that amateurs are allowed to have tripods in PI...maybe I can bait that same over-aggressive security person and get that name. ;)

17. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Go get'em, Justin! ;D

At least, now, we all know to answer "NO" to that question. Tim might want to keep his Magic In Pixels credentials back in his room...including his t-shirt in the future. Interesting that they don't bother Tim when he has a herd of photographers with him.

18. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

And to stick the final nail in the coffin of this misunderstanding...I had sent an e-mail to Disney customer service and received this reply this morning:

I blotted out the name as I don't know if the employee wanted their name posted anywhere.

Sounds like all is well in the WDWorld for us photographers!

19. gary

gary Member

if a herd of t-mip beat an overzealous rent a cop to death with tripods, does it make any sound?

does anyone care?

20. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

I think it sounds like a fake/electronic shutter sound with every hit. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.