I rented a Nikon 200-500mm AF-S f/5.6E VR Lens

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by Scottwdw, May 4, 2020.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Will share my results here. Used it for backyard wildlife and a trip to a nearby National Wildlife Refuge.

While I still needed to crop, the images with this lens are much larger then from the 80-400VR lens I own. The birds like the trees on the edge of my lawn. I was photographing from an open window in my house which is the perfect blind.

[​IMG]
    Northern Cardinal
    by Scott Thomas, on Flickr

jbwolffiv, Chernabog1940 and Nancy AK like this.
  2. Nancy AK

Nancy AK Member

Great photo. How do you like the lens? I just bought this lens, I haven’t used it much, hoping to get our this week or next. I bought mine used off Adorama.

3. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Another backyard bird. I seem to have the classics hanging out this year. This shows off the lens' bokeh capability.

[​IMG]
    Blue Jay
    by Scott Thomas, on Flickr

4. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I like it. The woods behind my house can be tough with a lot of tree branches which get between me and the birds. I also took it to the Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge and it was great there. Keep in mind at f/5.6, it is a fair weather lens for moving wildlife. I tried to get some birds in flight with some success. I think I need to adjust the D500's focus settings for best results for flying birds. I wish I could take it to the zoo as I think it would create amazing close up portraits there.

Nancy AK likes this.
  5. Nancy AK

Nancy AK Member

6. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I have the 80-400VR AF-S version and have taken that to AK with lots of success including on the Safari. The 80-400 is not at long at the 200-500. I really wanted to try out the 200-500 on field sports but the high school seasons have been cancelled. If the baseball team I work for does get on the field, I may rent this again. For day games, I thing the reach would be fantastic coupled with the 1.5x crop of the D500.

Nancy AK likes this.
  7. Nancy AK

Nancy AK Member

Aren’t there 2 versions of the 80-400mm? I think what I saw was an AF and the AF-S 80-400mm. I looked at the Sigma Contemporary 150-600mm and there were mixed reviews, that it wasn’t the sharpest at 600mm.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  8. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Yes, there are two versions of the 80-400VR. The original one had VR and AF. The latest version has AF-S and VRII technology. I have both as I could not find a buyer for the original one. Both are variable aperture from f/3.5 to 5.6. You can search for 80-400 on my flickr account see photos taken with those lenses.

9. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

jbwolffiv and Chernabog1940 like this.
  10. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

11. I have this lens. I use it for shooting regattas. I really like it.
    ~J

Scottwdw and Nancy AK like this.
  12. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Chernabog1940, jbwolffiv and Nancy AK like this.