Help with camera questions...

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by scpergj, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

congrats, kevin.

2. scpergj

scpergj Member

Yeah, that's what I'm looking at - making sure that the rest of my lenses are full frame, not DX.

I can't wait to see the pictures too!

Thanks!

Kevin

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Wow. Kind of surprised to hear that from a Nikon user. That's usually been the #1 comment made for Canon glass, esp. since I believe this was Nikon's first full frame sensor, wasn't it?

Then again, full frame 35mm equiv digital cameras will basically be celebrating their 5th b-day next month. 11.1 MP 5 years ago. ISO maxed at 1250, but still.

4. mSummers

mSummers Member

It is their first full frame. But I knew it would happen eventually, and I assume when I buy glass that unless I break it, I should never have to replace it. So, I like to plan for the future. Plus, the full frame glass tends to be better quality.

The other reason to choose the "full frame" lenses is because the closer you get to the center of the glass, the better the image quality gets. So, if you buy full frame lenses, you are only using the best part of the glass since you aren't using the outside edge. If you use the DX (1.5 crop sensor) lenses, you don't have that advantage.

I will eventually get a full frame Nikon because I do all of the photography at the architecture firm I work for and having the ability to get down to 14mm with the new 14-24mm would be a huge help. But that probably won't happen for a few years... Maybe as a gift to myself after I get my license...

5. mSummers

mSummers Member

In that case, I highly recommend the AF-S Zoom-NIKKOR 28-70mm f/2.8D IF-ED and the AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED. They are both tack sharp and the 28-40 has very low distortion (perfect for architectural work). In my opinion, they are both worth every penny.

6. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

congratulations Kevin. The D80 is a great camera.

7. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Another photographer has joined the Nikonian ranks

8. jcvalenti

jcvalenti Member

When I got my Xti, I shopped only for glass that would work full frame. Now, only 15 months later, I'm glad I did ... since I upgrade to a 5D. Full Frame is just so glorious - I'm glad all my Nikon friends have a chance to experience it soon.