Heading to Disney World tomorrow (June 8)

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by zackiedawg, Jun 7, 2018.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

The usual summer family trip starts tomorrow. I booked DVC at Wilderness Lodge (Boulder Ridge) as I hadn't stayed there in many many years and thought it would be a bit different for a change - and also somewhat close to the classic feel of the Fort Wilderness Cabins that we used for our family trips for decades before DVC.

Should be hot, as always, and humid, and chance of rain will be high each day...honestly I don't mind that much...as long as I have a waterproof bag to hide my camera if need be, I don't really care if I get wet - no keys or wallets on me to worry about. And since it's just as hot and rainy at home, might as well be hot and wet in Disney.

After checkin tomorrow, just heading over to Disney Springs, dinner res at Art Smith's, then walk around there for the night if it's not pouring. Saturday plan is DHS early, and MK for the rest of the day and evening. Sunday will be AK day, and Monday for Epcot. All based around how the weather holds. Tuesday, check out and drive home.

Bringing light camera gear with me for the trip - I'll bring my A6300 mirrorless with 10-18mm, 16mm F1.4, 18-135mm, 35mm F1.4, and 70-300mm lenses - I don't think I'll bother with others...and each day I may take just the camera and one lens, or up to 3 lenses in a smaller bag. On days where I'm just bringing the camera and one lens attached, I'll bring a ziplok bag in the back pocket for quick rain protection in a downpour.

Looks like I'm just missing the opening of Toy Story land...oh well! I'll be there again in September, and December.

2. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

awesome! have fun! we've had beautiful weather over on this coast this week. Hot, but little rain

3. Have a great trip and good luck with Toy Story Land. Keep us filled in with all the details if you should get the chance to post. Hopefully if it rains you can get some cool puddle reflection shots.

~Joanie

4. zackiedawg

Twas hot - but the rains held off most days. Got some brief showers Friday night while at Disney Springs, not even bad enough to have to hide from and still walked around, getting a little wet...only lasted about an hour. No rain Saturday. Sunday, had one downpour around 4pm at AK, for 30 minutes - got soaked, then nothing the rest of the day...and no rain again on Monday. Temps hit 95 or so, so a tad warm. Toy Story land not open - didn't catch any 'soft' openings or test openings when I was there...but you can see Woody, Tinker Toys, and the Slinky Dog track clearly from where the entrance will be. Star Wars Land is also getting high enough that you can see the frames of the buildings and structures over the walls now.
    Now I need to get the photos off the memory card and sort through. Didn't go too crazy with pics this trip, with the heat and occasional rain - so I've got around 550 total shots to sort through. Spent much of the time with one lens attached to the camera and no bag!

Joanie Eddis-Koch likes this.
  5. Yes Toy Story land is behind schedule. I'm not sure what the problem is. The coaster is taking CM's for rides as they are allowed to preview the land. I'm not hearing anything about the swirling saucers. Maybe that's the problem.

~J

6. zackiedawg

Could be. I was hoping I might get a lucky soft open or test open...I would have normally been able to get access through the CM connection with my aunt and cousins working there for decades - but my aunt passed away a few years ago and both cousins graduated college and moved on...so no more relatives working at Disney to get me those little perks!