HDR @ the Contemporary Resort Pool

Discussion in 'WDW Resorts / Downtown / Rest of WDW' started by Craig, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

If the sun is *just* out of your image but in the LOS for the front of the camera, the hood may help by blocking the sun from streaming at an angle into your shot, bouncing around your lens and causing nasty flare on your image. ; Without being in the shot. ; The hood helps reduce the need for using the old-timers lens hood[nb]Your hand[/nb], since lens hoods for anything other than professional lenses didn't exist before digital.[nb]Just kidding, although Canon seems to have a knack for not including hoods with their non-L lenses. ; I think I had to buy one for the 17-55/2.8 IS.[/nb]

2. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

My point exactly, which is why I asked if he was using the flash. ; By itself (as in without using the flash), the hood should not be causing images in the shot. ; I got shadows with the 18-200 without the hood when using the onboard flash.

3. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

If I remember correctly I was getting the shadows with and without the flash on the Sigma 18-200 I rented from Lens Rentals. ; If I took the hood off, I didn't have a problem with shadows at all.

4. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I'm in...I never use a hood. ; I know the reasons to use them including added protection but I don't like them. ; Especially on the bigger lenses which are long enough without adding some 4 more inches.