Great Movie Ride in manual focus with Voigtlander

Discussion in 'Disney's Hollywood Studios Photos' started by zackiedawg, Jul 15, 2013.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

A fun challenge for my June trip, with bringing only the mirrorless camera, is that I only had manual-focus fast primes and no stabilization to shoot the dark rides. ; Still it was fun playing around with focus peaking and the rangefinder glass! ; Here are a few from the Great Movie Ride with the Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton on my NEX-5N:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. gary

gary Member

i think these are fine, i could even say they are as good as many i have gotten with my dslr. in fact if finances hold true and i pick up some more extra work in the fall, there is a strong likelihood that i will be mirror less for pixelmania. i actually forgot to post up a thread but in early june i upgraded body to the panasonic gh3, just in time for the tampa rays trip. things fall right and by pixelmania i'll be rocking either the voightlander 35mm F0.95 or the 25mm F0.95 as a fast prime, coupled with the 35-100 F2.8 and the 12-35 f2.8 which are 35 equivalents of 24-70 & 70-200 that i already have and i think i have a very lightweight disney worthy setup. at least i'll put it to the test

3. zackiedawg

If you decide to pick up any third-party mounts and adapters, consider Leica M or Konica K/AR mounts - then we can swap and share lenses at Pixelmania!

4. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice work Justin! ; I tried manual focus on a dark ride once... didn't work out well. ; I have a hard time seeing when something is in focus on a matte screen.

5. zackiedawg

I've actually never had much luck with it in the past, but have to admit that doing so with an electronic viewfinder that can gain up, and focus peaking which helps see the fringed highlights that are in focus, especially shooting F1.4 where the DOF is shallow, is much easier. ; I've had pretty good luck on 3 or 4 different rides shooting manual focus with old manual lenses now...the only real downside is the loss of stabilization which means trying to be very steady or keeping the shutter speed a little higher, invariably meaning requiring higher ISO or underexposing the shot!

6. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I think that these came out great Justin!