'Grandma' Mary, Prime Time Cafe, RIP

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Photos / Lost Attractions/ Cast Mem' started by zackiedawg, Apr 23, 2013.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I posted this thread way back in the early history of TMIP:
    http://www.themagicinpixels.com/forum/disney_cruise_photos_lost_attractions_cast_members/grandma_mary_hoppins_50s_prime_time_cafe_my_aunt_782.0.html

And often mentioned 'Grandma' Mary Hoppins, my great aunt who worked for Disney for 15 years at the Prime Time Cafe. ; She was in her eighties and still working hard, finally retiring a little less than 2 years ago at age 87...it was getting to be too much standing on her feet all day and she had cut back her hours to only a few days a month. ; In retirement, she moved to an active adult community in central Florida where she was enjoying the community center, swimming, cards, and visits to nearby family.

Last month she started having some mild pains, shortness of breath, and fatigue, and saw a doctor for it, but there was no particular illness or problem - she was just getting old, and her lungs weren't getting as much oxygen anymore (she was a smoker for 75 years!). ; She worked through it and continued enjoying herself, until yesterday, when her body finally gave out at the ripe old age of 89. ; She lived hard and fast and loved every minute of it, worked from the time she was 13 until she was 87, and went out fairly quickly with little fuss or muss, and little pain.

She'll be missed - Prime Time Cafe will never quite be the same without her. ; But I wanted to celebrate a good life, lived well!

2. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

That's a wonderful story and thank you for sharing it with us. ; My condolences to you and your family.

Sent from my iPhone...

3. ELinder

ELinder Member

Sorry for your loss. That's the kind of life to be celebrated, not mourned.

Erich

4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

From our family to yours, we express our condolences. ; Be strong, my friend.

5. zackiedawg

Thanks to all. ; Still awaiting details as to whether they'll be doing any services down here in Florida - she has one daughter who lives nearby. ; She'll be buried back in New Jersey, where most of the family resides or is buried. ; I think I should get word to Disney as well - even though she retired, she spent a long time there and was well loved by many of the other employees at Prime Time.

6. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Do you plan on coming to NJ, Justin? ; There are a lot of TMIP'ers who would be glad to lend you a shoulder if you do.

7. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Great story and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

sorry Justin for your loss

9. zackiedawg

Many thanks to all.

It sounds like the Florida family (myself, her daughter's family, and a grandson in Coral Springs, along with 10-15 of her friends from down her, will be having a memorial/Irish wake for her this weekend on Saturday. ; She's going to be cremated and buried at the family plot in Totowa, NJ (Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, owned by her sister/my other great aunt, Josephine). ; Most of my NJ family is buried there since that cemetery is in the family. ; It's a lot easier for me to make it up to Orlando area for the Irish wake, which is more fun anyway - the more conservative family up north is probably doing a somber Catholic funeral mass. ; We like the Irish wake - lots more fun, celebrating life, playing music, having some drinks, and just letting go!

10. gary

gary Member

my condolences

11. mSummers

mSummers Member

Sorry for your loss, Justin. ; Thanks for sharing her story with us again. ; I missed it the first time around

12. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Yes, I know her and enjoyed interacting with her at Prime Time. ; Nice to know she lived her life fully until the very end. Wonderful story, Justin.

13. zackiedawg

Thank you both. ; Scott - that's great to know you had interacted with her at Prime Time - she always enjoyed that job, as it let her be a grandma permanently, but for play.