Google Earth 3d WDW "Photo Gallery"

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Photos / Lost Attractions/ Cast Mem' started by Tim, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Let's post some cool screen grabs of WDW in Google Earth 3d...
    Here's one to get us started...
    If you need to know how to do a screen grab, just ask! There are many different ways.

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Tim

Haunted Mansion

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]

3. Tim

One more for fun...
    The House that the Mouse Built.

4. Tim

2 more just for kicks...

5. jcvalenti

jcvalenti Member

Has anyone checked to see whether you go into the Cool Zone and grab a 3D Beverly ?

6. Tim

3d up-chuck.

7. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

8. PolynesianMedic

ok, I'm asking, how do you do a screen grab? I know, I'll say it, reach out in front of me and grab my screen. . . groan. ;D

9. goofy101

goofy101 Member

(edited by tim to remove double posted image)

10. Tim

jeff, i use photoshop to do my screen grabs.
    if using an image program, you hit ctrl+prt scr which copies the screen to the clipboard. you open a new image in photoshop and paste (ctrl+V) the clipboard into the new image. crop, resize, and post.

there is a firefox add-on called screengrab! that might work as well. i have it but don't use it much. you just click the little icon in the lower right corner and it saves your screen to an image file. you'll need to crop and resize before you post however.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1146

11. jcvalenti

jcvalenti Member

I use the best freeware program in the world - irfanview - to do my screen grabs. Very simple and self explanatory.

You can download it at http://www.irfanview.com

It's my default image viewer on my pcs - simple, no memory footprint and very powerful.

12. Tim

here's the world famous benele towers...

13. Tim

and one for the good medic...

14. PolynesianMedic

AWESOME thanks Tim!

15. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

COOL! thanks Tim.
    Is there a way to tilt the viewer? I keep feeling like I'm staring straight down when I zoom in.

16. Tim

there are 3 controls... the top one with the eye controls your point of view, the middle one is your movements (front, back, left, right), and the vertical bottom slider is your altitude (+ makes you go lower then it takes you horizontal at ground level, - raises your elevation).

17. Dan

Dan Member

Just one image for now.. once I get my replacement memory I should be able to handle the extra load that the 3d structures impose, more to the point I should be able to run Photoshop at the same time without having to wait for the whole ding darn thing to be paged from the hard drive when I switch between apps.

I wanted to point out a feature of Google Earth that allows for some extra dramatic impact. You can click the little sun icon (if you have the newest Google Earth version) and you get a slider that lets you change the time of day. I admit this picture isn't great.. the light rendering engine isn't great, it's kind of a crude system. I'll try to do better ones once I get my memory.

I also want to point out that this feature could also be used for planning shots. I read an article in a photography magazine about using topographic maps to figure out what time of day you would want to take a picture of a certain geographical feature, like a mountain or a waterfall. The story got into some extreme fine detail, like picking a particular day of the year to get the shot so that the light has just the right angle, and then working out what time of day that angle happens.

I think Google Earth should be at least slightly usable for this. For example, the simple use is to figure out where the sun will be rising or setting. Not just when, but where, what specific angle, and you can figure out how to get a good angle on a certain subject. For instance, for my DC trip I've found out where the sun will be setting and what that will look like if I try to do a sunset shot of the Lincoln Memorial from across the reflecting pool.

If the rendering engine of Google Earth was more sophisticated you could play more with shadows, at the moment the full potential of this tool is unrealized. It seems to do a better job on terrain, like mountains, it may be a bit more useful there.

18. PolynesianMedic

Very cool Dan!

19. Tim

mi casa on old turtle pond road at old key west...

20. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

neat, that is a lot of detail!
    Now, quit playing on your computer and go enjoy Florida!! :)