Gear for Feb trip

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by Roger, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I was thinking about what lenses to bring in Feb and this is my quandary:

I'm bringing my 70-200/2.8 IS and the 1.4TC just in case we go to DAK for a period of time, and the 85/1.2L I'm renting.

Maybe the 35/1.4 as well. Not sure if it will get used since I'll keep the 85 on for low light things.

But I'm thinking about just bringing the 17-40 and leaving the 24-105 at home. I'm finding that if I want shots of the kids, I'll either need a wide lens or use the 70-200 by itself. While I'll miss out on the 40-70 focal lengths, I'm not sure that I'll miss them that much.

(Prob not bringing the macro either on this trip)

Comments? (other than to rent the street sweeper) Note that most 3rd party catchall zoom lenses are not designed for the APS-H sensor.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Scott

Scott Member

How set are you about bringing the 85/1.2L? Its a big, heavy lens - you'll probably need a Sherpa or two to help you carry it around with your MkIII. If you're getting it just for indoor low-light rides, you might want to bring the 35mm instead (with the conversion factor of the 85mm, it might be too much of a telephoto).

I think you could easily get along with the 17-40 vs. the 24-105. You would just have to tell yourself that you're not "missing" focal lengths, you're "gaining" them (the wide angle part).

3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i always bring all of my lenses... i just leave the ones i am no planning on using in the hotel room that day, this way i have no "shoulda woulda coulda's"

4. Roger

The 300/4 IS weighs more than the 85/1.2; I think the weight of the MkIII helps even those things out, so I'm not worried. Besides, I want to play with the "lens that makes pros cry when they have to return it", and would love the extra reach it may give me more than a 50 x 1.6 (what I was used to with my D30 all the time) vs 35/50 x 1.3.

5. Tim

based on what scott says in that other thread, my 70-200 f/4 L might be going bye bye in favor of the 70-300 DO is/usm...

6. Roger

You should rent it first, but I'm not giving up the 2.8 - too useful at certain times. But I've been intrigued by the DO line. Kind of surprised Canon hasn't released more yet.

7. Tim

the f/2.8 is too expensive for me right now without being longer on focal legth... i found 200 to be too short at times due to FF and using a TC defeats the purpose. i am not actively looking for a lens right now, just mulling ideas.