gary's great american pastime trips thread

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by gary, May 6, 2012.

1. gary

gary Member

erich: thanks for the tip, i was scouring urbanspoon anyways, looking for a possible lunch spot as my flight from ny lands 11:25 and gametime is 1910. i am staying at the hilton garden hotel, on carnegie, just a block from progressive field and looks like maybe 4 from the winking lizard, may very well be time for lunch and a craft beer or two before power nap and game

2. ELinder

ELinder Member

Not sure how well you tolerate hot, but the 911 and Magma wings are painfully insane to me. My brother in law loves them, but I think by this point his taste buds are burnt out. :)

Erich

3. gary

gary Member

I'm not fond of too hot, if your tastebuds are nuclear waste, what's the sense of spending the money on food, somehow a sauce named "flaming a*****e of death" doesn't seem right for me

4. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

but if that was on a t-shirt......

5. gary

gary Member

what can i say in my defense, my first wife did buy me a t reading "instant a*****e, just add beer"

6. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

I think many of us would like that one as a badge of honor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. gary

gary Member

More baseball soon about to board flight to cleveland
    same bat channel

8. mSummers

mSummers Member

Have fun, Gary. ; Can't wait to see the pictures.

9. gary

gary Member

BALLGAME TONIGHT!!!

progressive field from the 10th floor elevator lobby of my hotel,the hilton garden inn, talk about a short walk to the ballpark, shaping up as a great trip, not a cloud predicted for either city, high 70's to 82 tomorrow, went out for lunch and walked around the field doing my 360 sizeup photos. will have game photos tomorrow.

[​IMG]

some of the starters getting in some off day work, a little light throwing, taken from the sidewalk outside progressive field

[​IMG]

corner of E NINTH and carnegie streets

[​IMG]

and 180 spin towards my hotel

[​IMG]

so i'm looking out my hotel window and i see what i think is a hot air balloon, then i realize, that's moving towards me, and moving pretty fast for a ballon, wait a minute, i think it's a blimp, so i put on the 100-300, and it is a blimp, a goodyear blimp, apparently flown here to make an appearance at tonights game, first shot is from my 10th floor room

[​IMG]

2nd shot from the windows by the elevators, as it makes a left turn over to the stadium, now that's not something you look out your hotel window and see everyday

[​IMG]

10. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Awesome! ; So Cleveland today? ; Side note, when did the name change from Jacobs Field?

11. gary

gary Member

cleveland tonight, midday flight to detroit tomorrow, tigers vs pirates 4:05 pm, i'm not sure when the name change, sometime after 2003 as i was here that year and it was still jacobs. cleveland and pittsburgh are going to be do-overs simply because i did not have the skills or the gear for good photos. besides the albums for each trip on my phanfare site, over on my flickr stream i have a collection of just ballparks

12. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Gary - That first shot of Progressive field might make a good tilt / shift pic.

Coo1eo
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

13. gary

gary Member

that's what i was thinking, i'll have to see if i can find the tutorial or the free software for that, i have my road mac with me and never downloaded that.

14. ELinder

ELinder Member

Hey, another reason to visit Cleveland again is always a good thing. :D
    That first pic probably wouldn't work as a tilt shift too well. You need to simulate shallow depth of field, so that being mainly vertical wouldn't allow you to change the near and far distances to be out of focus.

Erich

15. gary

gary Member

marlins vs indians

so i couldn't get the right angle on the light for this, but this statue honors a great ballplayer, bob feller

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and mustard caught me in the act

[​IMG]

i always walk around the food level mezzanine at the new style ballparks, that's how you see these unique happenings, i don't know if they have a name, but these guys were just playing away for the cleveland faithful.

[​IMG]

tonights starter for the marlins, carlos zambrano, i've seen his stuff before when he was with the cubs, 's the kind of pitcher that gives managers ulcers, when he's on he's great, but he sure likes to keep it in doubt all game long

[​IMG]

and here's why, cleveland jumps out to an early lead, alas it does not hold

[​IMG]

16. gary

gary Member

gotta have a scoreboard photo

[​IMG]

trying to leg one out, i always respect the ballplayers that run it out, all the time, every time, and when they don't, well if i was the manager they would be benched right on the spot, there is a right way to play this game, and to show it the proper respect.
    crash davis wouldn't accept anything less

[​IMG]

base hit, marlins

[​IMG]

out at second

[​IMG]

17. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

More nice shots Gary, keep em coming.

18. gary

gary Member

carlos santana the cleveland catcher has a rifle for an arm, threw out 3 runners trying to steal, of the marlins, one of baseballs faster teams, built around speed. infante, bonifacio, and petersen. only jose reyes was successful and he's probably the fastest man in baseball right now.

infante gunned down

[​IMG]

apparently chief wahoo is no longer politically correct, so they have this thing, this purple dinosaur, named slider, but the chief still stands tall on the souvenir items

[​IMG]

the tag

[​IMG]

and he's out

[​IMG]

and sometimes your'e out, but still have to be careful, zambrano is a big man, would not want to run into him at speed

[​IMG]

shades of major league, another great baseball movie

[​IMG]

and bell closes it out for the marlins

[​IMG]

i did not know until i got to the field that there would be a post game fireworks show, it was pretty decent, and i could have lugged a tripod along and shot from the hotel elevator lobby on the 10th floor, couple of handheld, not up to pixelmania standards, but not bad for handheld

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

marlins 3, indians 2

next up will be the game from detroit

19. gary

gary Member

5/19/12, comerica park, detroit, pirates vs tigers

so the day dawned nice and sunny, took the 20 minute flight to detroit, grabbed the rental car and off to comerica park, nice new replacement for old tiger stadium. couldn't help the first shot, had to ride the people mover to see the sights as it wre, so here's the strong presence of gm in downtown detroit

[​IMG]

and comerica park from the main entrance

[​IMG]

and i was not aware mickey was a tigers fan

[​IMG]

i have a couple of ballpark traditions i observe, and one of those is to stop right where i first see the field for the first time and take a photo

[​IMG]

detroit has their own rich and proud baseball history, told in statues and plaques

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and they have a specialty food court, big cat court, complete with carousel

[​IMG]

and let's go to our seat and watch some ball, today's game honors the negro leagues, with replica uniforms and scoreboard factoids

[​IMG]

and pittsburgh in uniforms honoring the pittsburgh grays

[​IMG]

more to follow over the next couple of days

20. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Loving this Gary, very cool series.