Funky Disney Moons

Discussion in 'WDW Resorts / Downtown / Rest of WDW' started by zackiedawg, Jun 11, 2012.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Last month's trip yielded a couple of interesting moon shots - neither time particularly prepared to shoot the moon, but both still worth taking.

The first was after a lovely dinner at Whispering Canyon in Wilderness Lodge (sat in the back area by the fireplace, which is less 'actiony' than the kid-centric front of the house)...we went out to the pool area to sit by the pool bar and catch the Electric Boat parade, and afterwards I happened to notice the unique looking moon hanging over the lodge. ; It was a crescent moon, but the unilluminated portion of the disk was still clearly visible...it made for a very cool looking moon. ; I only had my mirrorless camera and kit lens with me, no tripod, and nothing to steady on, so I had to crank up to ISO6400 and shoot handheld at 55mm, but I figured trying to frame in a little bit of the lodge with the moon might make it interesting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second cool moon was while walking through Magic Kingdom around dusk - the sun had just set, the sky was still light dusky blue, and we were headed from Tomorrowland to Frontierland, cutting up the castle pathway, when I noticed the sliver of crescent moon sitting just over the castle spires. ; Again, only armed with mirrorless camera and 18-55mm kit lens, I couldn't do any closeups of spires and moon...so I had to do some wider castle shots and hope the little sliver of moon still showed up above:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Both shots are very cool. ; I especially like the second shot of the Wilderness Lodge and the second Castle shot. ; I like the little space at the top of the frame over the large amount of sky the first one gives.

3. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Nice shots Justin. I love what you able to get with the high ISO.

Coo1eo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Ive got some of those!

Remember the big "mega moon" from a couple of months ago? I was in EPCOT that night! ; Didn't get anything spectacular but you get the idea ;

[​IMG]

Then I was back a few months later - same moon different shape, different country

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Justin, your handheld photos are making me anxious for my Nex to arrive next week. ; Great shots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. zackiedawg

Thanks all. ; Katie - nice comp on the big moon - that would have been awesome to have seen up at Disney. ; And your crescent moon looks pretty close to the one I saw over the castle - might have been close to the time I was there (week of May before Memorial day) and took the shots above.
    Red - I think you'll really enjoy it. ; I am still loving my NEX, and it really gets a lot of use on trips like that one where I was up there for business with some pleasure on the side...I wasn't really willing to cart the whole DSLR kit and tripods and stuff up there - so I brought the DSLR and the NEX, and split time between them fairly evenly. ; And I love bringing the NEX along when I'm out birding too - it's a surprisingly capable second body for wildlife!

7. ELinder

ELinder Member

That last castle shot is something special. It could be the opening shot for a story about the princess who sits in her room in the castle while...

Erich

8. zackiedawg

Thanks Erich. ; Sounds like the beginning of a cool story too...sounds familiar!

9. According to iPhoto the crescent moon pics were taken May 24th. Guess that was a few weeks later - not a few months later (the mega moon was Cinco de Mayo -- interesting night to be in World Showcase!)

10. zackiedawg

See - I told you it looked familiar! ; The smallish crescent, hanging open towards the top, in the dusk sky looked very similar to my castle crescent moon shots. ; And no wonder - my castle shots were taken on...May 24! ; At 8:15pm. ; So we were indeed shooting the very same moon on the very same night, from two different parks.

11. Why do I feel like singing Somewhere Out There?

12. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

That is funny!!!

13. zackiedawg

Wow - good reference hop there...I wouldn't have thought that one up. ; I was thinking more like 'it's a small world'...but yours works too. ; ;)

14. Small World might have been better since this board is about DISNEY but I couldn't get the line "under the same big sky" out of my head!

15. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

IMHO An American Tail fits better in my opinion, especially since the talk was more about the moon. ; Great shots both of you. ; Too bad you dont have Bruce Almighty's powers and could have pulled the moon closer just for these shots. (since you are referencing movies).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

cool shots! I love being able to incorporate the moon into shots.

17. Craig

18. zackiedawg

Hmmm - I wonder why that's your favorite? ; ;) ; Nice moon shots...it is always great to get the moon into the Disney scenery...I do try to whenever possible - these were mostly spontaneous or cool sightings without much preparation, but I've also tried to 'plan' some moon shots at Disney too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Very cool shots Justin, for not planning them, they look great!

20. Craig

Those are fantastic Justin!