Fantasmic!

Discussion in 'Disney's Hollywood Studios Photos' started by Mark Barbieri, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Mark Barbieri

Mark Barbieri Member

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

very nice exposures, mark, under difficult conditions. fantasmic is a very tough show to photograph.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. Dan

Dan Member

I'll second that opinion. I'm having difficulty picking one picture to focus my attention on.. they're all excellent. I always like light beam shots, so I like the snake one.. the shot of the boy is excellent, so dramatic.. I love the sharpness of the Mickey with a sword shooting sparks and the fine detail of the water fountains.. the finger sparks are also nicely detailed, I love all the little sparklies..

I want a smiley icon that's giving the thumbs up sign.. but since I don't have one.. I can only offer this instead:

[​IMG]

"niiiiice"

4. mSummers

mSummers Member

Awesome shots! I've always been a fan of Sorcerer Mickey so I think that's my favorite out of the group. They're all great images, especially the ones with pyrotechnics.

5. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Great shots Mark!

6. goofy101

goofy101 Member

What great photos I think Mickey with the sword is my favorite

7. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Amazing shots! I love the detail in all of them. My son (3) has been listening to Fantasmic's music lately and he went crazy when he saw the pics because it triggered his memory. Thanks!

8. Roger

I take it you were sitting down close to the water. Can't wait to give my toy a whirl there, hopefully in Feb.

9. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

fantastic!
    I love your Sorcerer Mickey against the black background!

10. Mark Barbieri

Mark Barbieri Member

I think that we were about 40% of the way back from the front. I used a 200mm lens on a 1.3x body and many of the pictures were extensively cropped (digital zoom, if you will).

11. Roger

It seemed closer based on the AOV. But also I wouldn't expect you'd have too much room to crop from 8MP. I shot the Studios Fantasmic! (almost typed MGM) near the back, 70-200 x 1.6 and it seemed farther.

12. gary

gary Member

here's one from the terrace, taken during the private vip dessert party, 200mm f/2.8 L on 5d, on tripod, at iso 1250
    imagineomics noiseware pro, full noise reduction, and a little levels and a special velvia curve action i have

it was well worth dragging the 200 to mousefest, this was the only time it left the hotel, but it allowed me to get a pretty reasonable set of fantasmic images

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]

13. Roger

Dragging?

The best little L in Canon?

The 200/2.8 is one of the gems in the Canon line, and sometimes I wish I never got rid of mine. Maybe someday it'll come back.

14. gary

gary Member

actually it's not that heavy, it just usually doesn't make the flying trips , always along in the huge multilens pack that goes in the 5th wheel
    and it is one of canon's best, no doubt, although i'm pretty certain my next lens purchase will be it's closest competitor for canon top marks, and that's the equally renowned, claimed by some to be even better, the one, the only, the 135mm f/2.0 L
    i really want that lens for the music festival stuff this summer, so i'm squirelling away the extra day of employment each week just for that

and i have to add this, i bought mine used from keh, rated excellent, and i will never part with it unless the canon mount changes and eos goes the way of fd mounts

15. Wow! Do you use a tripod for these or telephoto lens?

16. Roger

Welcome to the boards mainstreet1997.

At DL I use a monopod and a telephoto lens most of the time. At WDW I handheld with a telephoto lens that had IS to help with any shake, but I still needed flash-photography speeds to prevent motion blur (1/60 or faster).

17. Roger,

Just checked out your pics. Wow! When youre ready to get a new camera let me know and Ill take that one :p I love my Canon A630 but I know it could never take pics like that!

18. Roger

hahaha a little late. Actually it's getting easier and easier for a p&s to match the results of film 10 years ago. Plus with post-processing....

I'm getting shots now that I could only dream of 10 years ago.

19. meyernl

meyernl Member

I am still a Nikon D40 newbie and I can't get ANYTHING to come out from Fantasmic. Anyone out there who can help me with the right camera settings to get something from this show? I have tried several of the modes and a couple lenses and still can't get anything even remotely good. I am usually using the 18-200 mm VR lens on it. Thanks for any guidance from you pros!

20. Roger

I use manual mode, ISO 800-1600 at 1/80 sec with f/2.8, so with ISO 1600 and the 18-200, you would need about 1/20 sec, which isn't that great for Fantasmic!. I would try f/5.6 in manual, 1/30 sec to get a few acceptable ones, but you really do need a faster lens, like the 70-200/2.8 or maybe the 180/2.8.