Exposure settings for flash photos

Discussion in 'Photography 101' started by ddindy, Feb 5, 2010.

1. BorisMD

BorisMD Member

You know, it's funny. ; The only time I've been in a Hooter's was on spring break when we were in Fort Myers Beach, and my kids and friends wanted to go. ; So, finally, my wife and I agreed, and we had dinner in Hooter's. ; Now, as for the funny part, since this particular Hooter's is located on the beach, the servers were actually more covered up than any of the people I had seen strolling the beach all day long.

Regards,

Boris

2. BorisMD

BorisMD Member

Since this is a photo forum, I figured I better add a shot:

[​IMG]

Regards,

Boris

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

sorry, you have some mottled light in the e-r-s. ; ; ;)

4. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Baltimore Inner Harbor, oh 1994/95ish when the Fire Expo was in Baltimore. ; I'm not sure of the attraction to the wings tho. ; I think Cluck U's wings are better. ; And they have (had) the best chicken sandwiches....yum yum!

5. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

Cluck U? ; Seriously? ; :D ; OMG - I do not get out enough! lol

6. BorisMD

BorisMD Member

Not to bring the thread back to flash or anything, but here's a shot with second curtain sync from my last trip.

I probably would have liked to have had a longer exposure to help blur out the people in the background.

[​IMG]

Regards,

Boris

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  7. Roger

They used to have a location in College Park. ; Now I see that they are mostly in MD and NJ.

8. Roger

Pardon me, but unless I'm incorrect, you can have properly exposed photos at night with first curtain.....

A flash's speed is roughly the same after 1/60 sec or slower.[nb]Faster than sync speed it strobes....[/nb] ; It doesn't matter when it fires unless you are trying to have trailing lights in the photo. ; Example: ; Car at night. ; Moving left to right, you want to have the lights "trail" the car, so you want to use rear curtain to fire the flash at the end of the exposure, not the front, otherwise you'd have the car with the lights going the wrong direction....

Nikon's slow sync lets the camera ; know that you want to expose for the background first....not the flash subject.

9. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

That's why I like to stop at Winghouse in Orlando: ; similar ambience but a more varied menu.

10. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Interesting statement, Dennis! ; Good luck with the Valentine's Day shoot. ; I already know you will enjoy it. ; ;)