Dream Lights, 2008

Discussion in 'The Magic Kingdom Photos' started by Tim, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

He shoots RAW so he adjusts everything in Adobe Camera RAW/PS, unless he's using Lightroom and I don't know about it. But I don't think he shoots JPG anymore. (Me too, except when the missus wants pics to upload right away from something, so that's what RAW+JPG is for...)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Yeah...im still on the JPG side of the fence. At the moment my biggest card is 2 GB -- but guess whats on my Christmas list! I might try a shot or two in RAW (or maybe RAW + JPG) just to play with in a couple of weeks. I am taking my computer so I can dump my memory card each night if I have to.

3. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Okay...all you Dream Light wizards, I'll be at MK in two weeks and want to get a nice photo of the Dream Lights for my 2009 Christmas card (how's that for planning?). So, what's exposures do you use? I'll be using a tripod with a shutter remote.

4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

ev +1 for starters.

5. dawholagn

dawholagn Member

Woohoo! I get my first looksie tomorrow night! Thanks for the great welcome back, Tim! LOL!

6. JoePenniston

JoePenniston Member

Scott, this was shot at 2.5 seconds, f/11, ISO200, +2/3 EV. Although I'm happy with the picture, I found later in the trip that night shots were more to my liking when the ISO was raised between 400 and 800. If you have the capability to deal with the extra noise (on the D300 it's basically a non issue) post processing it's worth it IMO. Same for fireworks. My Illuminations pictures shot at ISO400 turned out much better than Wishes shot at ISO200. I wish I knew why but I don't...?

[​IMG]

7. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice shot Joe!

8. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Joe, were your exposures the same length of time at ISO 400 or were they longer?

9. JoePenniston

JoePenniston Member

Probably shorter Roger... I was shooting in A priority set at f/11. Don't ask why f/11 :-[ but it seemed like a good idea at the time. So certainly the camera would have compensated for the higher ISO by shortening the exposure time, right? I don't know for sure, but I will say that during the fireworks I was using the bulb shutter mode so the exposure times were all over the place. Anywhere from 5 seconds to 25 seconds or so. In general the higher ISO ones seemed brighter all around.

10. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Nice one Joe!

11. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Beautiful shot, Joe! Thank you for your tips and suggestions. I know Craig in another thread talked about using apertures like f/22 and f/32 to increase the shutter speed for firework shots. If I have time, I'll try to do a series of exposures and see which ones come out. I use an older Nikon D70 while I don't mind going to ISO 1600, the lower the better since I know I'm going for a printed finished product.

12. ghostrider455

ghostrider455 Member

Here is my dream lights photo.
    [​IMG]

13. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

nice job, ghostrider. keep them coming. i like that angle.

14. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Here's a quickie before I head out for the last few hours before flying home...

[​IMG]

15. goofy101

goofy101 Member

Nice job Scott

16. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

VERY nice Scott!

17. mSummers

mSummers Member

Excellent work Scott!

18. gary

gary Member

great work scott, as you can see i went for the classic, this is the rough workup of what may become my large wall hanger, i feel very strongly about including the partners statue in the shot, and thus a good lesson in don't get bogged down in the obvious, i got so concentrated in getting the shot i wanted that i did not think outside the box,so it never crossed my mind to go for the reflection shot, and it's from a spot i've probably walked by a hundred times, and did at least twice that night with my tripod in hand
    [attachment=1]

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]

19. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice work Gary!

20. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Nice work everyone! I am really enjoying the different perspectives that you are all posting. It is nice to see them.