Do you collect/trade Pins?

Discussion in 'Disney Theme Park Discussion' started by CameraGirl, Jul 25, 2006.

1. CameraGirl

CameraGirl Member

Do you collect Disney pins? ; I never thought I would because I always thought it was expensive. ; But this past trip, I started with a bang. ; First we got our honeymoon pins. ; Then I only wanted a Mickey wedding pin. ; So I got that. ; Then I wanted one of each theme park. Got those. ; Then I managed to get one of Expedition Everest, then one of Tower of Terror since it was my first time onand then I got a couple of limited addition pins. ; I also got a free pin from Port Orleans French quarter. ; I really enjoyed collecting, but I am nervous that if I ever go back, what pins I will get next and spend my money one.

This is our honeymoon one
    [​IMG]

The wedding one I picked out
    [​IMG]

The 4 theme parks (I love my epcot one)
    [​IMG]

The limited editions
    [​IMG]

The two rides that I loved
    [​IMG]

The one I got from our hotel
    [​IMG]

2. Treelo

Treelo Member

We spent FAR too much money on pins when we were there... both times, actually *laugh*

we've got about 40 between the two of us... plus 3 medallions... plus 2 buttons from the animal kingdom charity donations.... and SO many more I wanted to get, but the line had to be drawn somewhere. ; Mostly character pins... a wedding one from the honeymoon... mickey-shaped flags (Canada for DH and Ireland for me)... stitch, Herbie ('cuz we've got a classic bug), mickey and minnie bride and groom pins, some Happiest Celebration on Earth ones, Tigger, chip & dale... the list goes on and on *laugh*

I'm not sure I could trade them, though... we spent so much time picking the ones we did for various very specific reasons, it'd be a shame to trade them away.

If we get any more, we need new lanyards for them!

3. highland3

highland3 Member

I collect pins in general... pretty much everywhere I go. ;

I started picking up Disney pins last year, but am looking forward to spending (too much) money on WDW pins on my next trip.

4. weemcp

weemcp Global Moderator Staff Member

The only one we got was the honeymoon pin. I did pick up 3 pins as souvenirs for my nephew and 2 nieces.

5. misslissa

misslissa Member

Our first trip, I didn't get any.

On our second trip, we bought a few... and then when I got home... I went a little crazy on Ebay.

On our most recent trip, I bought several... So, I guess it has started.

6. Northernmouse

Northernmouse Member

I started collecting pins my last trip. I'm still not sure if that was a mistake or not because the whole family is collecting. So we decided to each pic a theme for our pins so we don't go overboard. I am concentrating on attraction pins, my DW is collecting fab five pins, DD is collecting Princess pins, DS is collecting pirate, pooh and stitch pins. I have the pins on the www.pinpics.com site userid is steamboatwillie1 if you interested in seeing what we have so far.

7. CameraGirl

CameraGirl Member

NorthernMouse, I am wondering what those pins are? ; I can't even think what theme that might be. ; But good idea to have each family member collect something different. ; As you can see from mine I went with every park and a couple of the cool rides and some special editions. ; Not sure if I will make my collection grow or not, but it is truly hard not to get sucked in.

8. Northernmouse

Northernmouse Member

When I said theme I meant that I would only collect pins that had something to do with an attraction at a park such as a Space Mountain Related Pin or like the Test track Pin that I have I will not collect character pins or resort related pins. This is just to keep the pin collecting in check.

9. Treelo

Treelo Member

I'm sure I'll kick myself when I read the answer but... who are the 'fab five'?

First thing that springs to mind is Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Pluto?

10. Northernmouse

Northernmouse Member

You are absolutely correct! There is also the Sensational six which includes Daisy.

11. CameraGirl

CameraGirl Member

That makes way more sense now. ; I haven't heard of them refered to as the fab five/six.

12. Treelo

Treelo Member

Hey cool! ; I guessed right! :)

I've never heard of them referred to that way before... it's nice to learn something new :)

13. digskat

digskat Member

No I don't but my kids do and I'm jealous! :D

14. dvcbelle

dvcbelle Member

My two children love to pin trade, they have about 35 each now, we got them each a pintrading book to keep them in. ; A little tip though, we do not buy them new at the parks (except ones that they really like but then they can't trade those), we buy a "lot" of official pins off ebay and have them mailed directly to our resort for our arrival (you can have packages mailed to your resort up to a week prior to arrival). ; Then they each get pins that they can trade for ones they really want and they love it. ; We end up paying about $2-3 per pin vs. $7-12 per pin in the parks. ; My ds pins are primarily Stitch and my dd are all princesses. ; They have a ball trading!!!

15. Pin trading is way cool but very expensive. My DD8 got into it a few trips ago, and we said we'd get her a pin a day as her treat - course she never wanted to trade them then. ; I went on ebay and bought 100 alike, had them shipped to our hotel room, and gave her and DD1 a number to trade on this last trip (saving rest for next trip) - worked like a blast. ; Cost me much less per unit, and she got into the whole trading experience big time. ;

16. tinkerbell

tinkerbell Member

We bought a few on ebay before our trip and then a select few in the parks. The boys really like trading the pins, and even I like to as well.

17. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

I like Sheila' strategy of buying pins on line and trading with the CM's once at Disney Parks, Cruise Line or resorts. Do you still have your sellers info?
    If so PM me with it. Buying from someone who completes transactions is alway helpful.

My kids love the "pin thing" when we're at the parks.
    No ; interest in trading when we were on our cruise.They just pick some pins they liked in the shops on board.

[​IMG]

18. mini-canadian

mini-canadian Member

I too have a lot of pins, never thought of buying from Ebay in bulk and then trading them. ; Hmmmm....might have to try!

19. Northernmouse

Northernmouse Member

I have bought pins from ebay once you find out who the reputable sellers are its a great way to get traders inexpensively. Stay away from Sedesma pins they are very cheaply made and don't look very good, Some sellers say you can trade them in the parks but don't trust them you will only be able to trade them if the cast member doesn't know any better. I have a bid on some pins right now for my December Trip.

20. Northernmouse

Northernmouse Member

Yeah I won 20 pins on Ebay less than $2 each (US$ so even better). I'll have some traders for the trip.