Do you collect Pins?

Discussion in 'Disney Vacation Planning & Transportation' started by Sheila Gallant-Halloran, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Hi there - I usually give clients with kids a Disney pin to start them on the collecting trend. ; My girls are BIG into it. ; I'm surprised how many folks don't know about pin trading, though - and I'm talking repeat Disney guests (though, obviously, new to me :)...).

So, I figured I'd ask - do the folks around here collect pins? ; Do you and/or your kids trade pins at the parks?

2. scratch

scratch Member

We used to when DD was younger. ; One of these days we really should go thru them all and see what she's got! ;

I lucked out a few years back when Disney cancelled the "Friendship Festivities" for Winnie the Pooh due to the lawsuit. ; They had already made up the pins and somehow they ended up in a Dollar Store in Pickering! ; Now that year we got a lot of trading in!LOL

Every now and then, either one of us will look just to see what is out there but we don't go out of our way. ;

3. Yes, the kids are really into pin trading. ; It is part of the fun of visiting the Disney parks for them. ; They have each picked a type of pin to collect (ie Chip & Dale, Goofy, Stitch, hidden mickey, etc.). ; When we are packing for a Disney trip, one of the first items into the suitecase are the lanyards. ;

Do you have any suggestions for storing pin collections? ; I am thinking of getting a pin trading book/case at Disney on our next trip. ; Currently we have all of our 'keepers' on a painters canvas purchased from Michael's.

4. highland3

highland3 Member

I am big into collecting pins... mostly law enforcement, some Disney and a mix of others.

DW bought me a cork bulletin board, allowing me to display my collection on the wall. ; I have now had to upgrade to a larger board. ; It makes a nice presentation.

The kids like pins and collecting, but not as much as me.

5. it's an expensive venture, isn't it? ; And what to do with them when you're home is a big question. DD9 likes to keep them all on her lanyards (she has several) so she can take them out and play with them - she doesn't like them on a board, because they're inacessible then (to her mind). ;

We're a member of the Disney movie club (surprise), and the last month they had a very nice book for storing pins - nicer than the ones I'd seen previously, and at a fraction of the cost. ; I think I might check that out.

The law enforcement pins sound cool, Bill - I've never really noticed them before. ; I'll have to pay attention to them next time.

6. DD is apparently starting a 'create your own pin' promo - pick characters, etc. - sounds interesting.

7. CameraGirl

CameraGirl Member

We just got real interesting pins yesterday after our Yuletide Fantasy tour. ; It is of Daisy and Donald decorating a snowman and his buttons are hidden mickeys. ; After the Christmas season, they break the mould and no longer make that pin. ; What a great little gift after the tour. ; I see it is a set of 1500 so maybe one day it will be worth a bit more. ; I am anxious to get some new pins though this trip.

They have some really cute holiday ones and even have pins that you can personalize yourself. ; If you pick out a pin, you can pick out a sticker name tag and stick it on the pin. ; So you can personalize a happy birthday pin or others that they have. ; I haven't had too much of a chance yet to look too closely, but I will be picking up one or two this year ;D

8. wow - that sounds great

9. amw

amw Member

Just saw on another site ... Disney is now offering a free pin certificate for every car that pays for parking at the parks. The certificate can be redeemed on that day only at the pin stores at each park. Passholders and resort guests are excluded since they don't pay. I picked the wrong year to go onsite! ; :p

Disney is definitely hurting!

10. GoofySteve

GoofySteve Member

I can see my pin lanyard hanging on the wall from my computer desk.

I only collect pins for resorts and rides.

Someday I will have them all.

Goofy Steve

11. SandraC

SandraC Member

dd and I started collecting pins a few years ago. ; Originally the collectors were dd and ds, but he was really too young. ; Now he's into it! ; We love it! ; Sandra

12. obo101

obo101 Member

My family loves to collect pins. ; DD13 is into Stitch and DS9 is into Chip & Dale. ; DW is a sucker for the Hidden Mickey's and now the pins associated to Vinylmation. ; Those things broke me last time down! ; ;D

13. Ariel2

Ariel2 Member

Is 15 a good enough amount to start with for a little one?

14. CameraGirl

CameraGirl Member

15 pins? ; Oh definitely enough to start off. ; I find though if you wear a lanyard and have even 3 or 4 pins on them, it gets pretty heavy by the end of the day. ; But it is certainly fun to trade them.

15. Ariel2

Ariel2 Member

Whats the special gift they give to little ones using the green lanyard?

Is 3 too young or dangerous to have the lanyard?

16. scratch

scratch Member

I used to wear DD's landyard for her. ; They will only trade with the children so they usually have some good pins for them.