Disney's Contemporary Resort new Restaurant - The Wave

Discussion in 'WDW Resorts / Downtown / Rest of WDW' started by Craig, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Disney's Contemporary Resort has a brand new restaurant, The Wave.
    Located on the first Floor where the Food and Fun Center was located.
    The restaurant has not opened yet, and advanced dining reservations
    are not always available, but there have been some soft openings.

[move]I have some special sneak preview photos of the new restaurant here:[/move]

The Wave photos at Contemporaryresort.net

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

When did you get these?

3. Craig

Brand New Today!

4. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

nice shots. Looks like a great place to eat. Can't wait to try it out!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  5. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Ah yes...the Wave! Great to see some shots inside. When I was up there in March, I ate at Concourse Steakhouse for lunch one day on my way over to Magic Kingdom...and was told it was closing soon (a disappointment as I always liked it)...but that the Wave would be opening downstairs around the same time. I had the fantastic Prime Rib Cheese Steak Sandwich on a ciabatta roll with peppers, onions, and Swiss cheese with grilled vegetable pasta salad and an order of onion rings with dip selection and a lovely fresh brewed iced tea...as my 'farewell' meal at Concourse Steakhouse. Too bad too...it was one of the best sandwiches in Disney and Concourse was always a nice uncrowded lunch alternative for a more 'upscale' meal.

Of course...I'll have to try the Wave and see how well it replaces the ol Concourse Steakhouse!

6. Dan

Dan Member

Some clarification on exactly where this new restaurant is located, and what happened to what used to be there, please.

So it's in the basement, I get that much. Has it taken up the space formerly used by the arcade AND the fast food service area? If so, has either of those facilities been relocated?

I'm not going to protest this, I never ate at the Concourse Steakhouse, but I used to be a big fan of that arcade. I have fond memories of the past associated with that place, of several different incarnations of it. I remember a time when they had a great big arcade game that was enclosed, like a theater, or of a time farther in the past when I was young enough that I remember the entire place being a lot bigger than it seemed in later years. I can still list a number of my favorite games from that era. Actually I still play them on an emulator I can run on my PC, in that regard I have an edge of people who miss the Disney rides of the past, and I don't have to have a supply of quarters to do it. But they always had a lot of larger, flashier versions of games that local arcades didn't always have. The full motion simulator versions of Afterburner and Space Harrier in particular, or an old racing game that used multiple screens to give a wide screen effect in an era before widespread widescreen displays.

In a weird way I want to come up with some sort of ritual where I could pay for something in quarters at The Wave as a tribute to that arcade. I don't want to annoy the staff, I'm sure $10 in quarters would be annoying, but there must be something I could do that would at least make sense to me.

I like the look of the new place, though. It looks like it belongs there, it feels like a logical counterpart to the California Grill. I have to admit I haven't been there either, but I've seen pictures, I have at least an idea of what it's like.

7. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Dan,

The arcade was moved to the concourse area where a store was. I think it is now located in the store in the photo below under the monorail. A new counter service restaurant is now being created where the Concourse Steakhouse was. They are also adding more seating to Chef Mickey's which is needed.

[​IMG]

8. Craig

Yes, the arcade has been moved to the fourth floor. It now occupies the entire area that used to be Fantasia Gift Shop. We, too Dan kind of miss the first floor arcade. We always went there to play air hockey and the games for tickets. We have not yet visited the new arcade, We have barely even stuck our head in the door.
    [attachment=1]

There is now a wall seperating Concourse Sundries, which is at the far North end.
    [attachment=2]

Fantasia Gift Shop is now the store that is located in the Middle of the Grand Canyon Concourse.
    Here is a before and an "under construction.
    [attachment=3]
    [attachment=4]

And the Wave is located where the entire Food and Fun Center was. I am also curious to see if they are now using the old movie theatre area again, or if it is still backstage.
    [attachment=5]
    [attachment=6]

I have more photos of the Grand Canyon Concourse
    HERE
    And I have more photos of the old Food and Fun Center HERE

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]

9. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

I need to spend more time shooting inside the contemporary. I haven't really done that before.

10. PolynesianMedic

It's a great place to photograph. I am a bit partial to the Great Ceremonial House over at the Poly though. Sorry Craig

11. Dan

Dan Member

Well, I don't think a former gift shop space will ever be able to match the Basement (that's what it felt like to me) feel of the original location. But I can't fault them for it, it sounds like it was a sensible rearrangement and indeed a masterful shuffling.

I've got to go through all my old camcorder footage to see if I can find the stuff with that big theatrical game unit. That thing was the ultimate. The gameplay wasn't exactly groundbreaking, it was a standard "rail shooter", a style that had been done many times before, but still in many ways it was the highest development of the arcade art form that I have yet to witness. If I could find the name of it I might be able to run it on an emulator, but I have find out what it was called first.

Thanks for the detailed info. I've never once stayed at the Contemporary, but it's always had a special place in my heart.

Oh, and thanks for the pictures of the original Fun Center. I love that round gateway. So whimsical, so 80s.

12. Craig

We went to the Wave for Dinner last month. We had a great time. The food was good and the service was terrific!
    I put up a new gallery at this link Wave Photos

Here are a few shots that are a little different and didn't get included in the gallery.
    [attachment=1]
    [attachment=2]
    [attachment=3]

I also have the dinner menu up here

And the dessert menu here

Look for a full review to appear on ScottWDW's site soon!

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]

13. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Thanks for the updates. Food looks pretty good...and the decor is pretty nicely done too. I wondered how the basement ambiance would be - I suppose it will be a more futuristic Le Cellier!

Still curious to see how the 4th floor concourse area ends up looking - most notably the great little bar with the awesome view!

14. PolynesianMedic

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I am thinking of eating here, and I was wondering if anyone has anymore to say on it. ; Have you been back Craig? ; Compare it to the Concourse Steakhouse (Loved this place and sorry it's gone) if you can please.

15. Craig

We love it! We like it better than the concourse steakhouse because neither one of us eat much steak.
    The hotel has recieved mixed reviews on it though since its opening. It seems to be a love it or hate it kind of restaurant. There was talk at one time of a menu change, though that hasnt happened and hasnt been brought up in a while

Here are the menu's:

http://www.contemporaryresort.net/Wave_Menu_Dinner.html

http://www.contemporaryresort.net/Wave_Menu_Breakfast.html

http://www.contemporaryresort.net/Wave_Menu_Lunch.html

16. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Very nice Craig. Thanks for sharing the info. I like the architecture / motif of the restaurant design & can't wait to try it out. I also agree with the sorely needed additional seating at Chef Mickey's.

17. PolynesianMedic

Thanks Craig, it is definitely a thought for our anniversary dinner.

18. Craig

Poly, I'm not sure if I would consider it an anniversary spot. Its nice, but not very "special".

19. Craig

We got into the Wave last week for drinks and dinner! The Wave is still great and still a favorite! Great food and great service. Sometimes it seems a little pricey, but, its Disney, so what are you gonna do?
    Here's some pics of our dinner.

[attachment deleted by admin]

20. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

That dessert (cheesecake?) looks awesome right now!