Disney Movies - Sequels: Love Them or Leave Them?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Streak, May 4, 2014.

1. Streak

Streak Member

I have very mixed feelings when it comes to Disney movie sequels. I've seen every Lion King and love them all. But, I really did not care for the sequel to like... Pocahontas and I could not stand the sequel to Mulan.

One of my biggest pet peeves with sequels is when they change the voice actors and there is so much of a difference that you can tell.

I think I would just prefer them not to make a sequel if they cannot use the same voice actors or find people that sound enough alike that you cannot tell the difference.

With all the advancements in technology, you would think that they could just make them sound like the original voice actor...

Might not be a big deal to children. But, even when I was younger it bothered me.

2. Anna Ramsey

Anna Ramsey Member

I have only had two Disney sequels that I have cared for. Toy Story and The Lion King. I could have done without the rest. A lot of times, at least for me, the sequel seems like a forced story, that is there, just for the sake of having a story. That being said, my husband and son love Cars 1 and 2. I guess it just depends on your taste.

3. Streak

Streak Member

The third Toy Story made me cry!! But, yeah.... I totally agree. I can see how some of the stories seemed like they were forced while others do not. Obviously, making a sequel just means more money for the company. Any parent that has a child that loves Lion King is going to want to go see every single sequel that they release. I just wish they'd keep the same voice actors to make it tolerable for me, haha.

4. g2narat

g2narat Member

I have to agree. Toy Story was the only sequel I liked. The rest were just a bit too cheesy and forced for my taste. Especially the sequel to Aladdin. Ugh.

5. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarie Member

You are very right. When Disney make sequels with new voice overs, it totally messes up the movie experience. I usually don't like sequels because the rarely live up to the first movie. They story line is never as good as the first and the humor usually is not the same. There are a few however that do surprise me. I enjoyed both The Lion King and Toy Story sequels.

6. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

I think the difference on sequels I liked to those I did not is that the ones I liked were released in theaters. Whereas those I did not like were direct to video/DVD.

7. isabbbela

isabbbela Member

There has been sequels I liked, like The Lion King 2, but in general they are never as good as the original movie nnmy opinionx even the good ones. Aladdin for example didn't have as good sequels, and Peter Pan's sorry excuse for a sequel was so bad. I almost feel like sequels to Disney movies are kind of amateur... they don't feel original. I am kind of excited for Finding Dori but at the same time I'm not getting my hopes up too much that it's going to be awesome, because I'm pretty sure it's not going to be as good as Finding Nemo.

8. Jeremy Gilkes

Jeremy Gilkes Member

Toy story 2 and the lion king 2 were done well. Then you've got Monster's University which was a prequel. It was a good prequel though not like the prequel trilogy of Star Wars.

9. terryp

terryp Member

As a general rule, sequel = inferior version of the original, meant to further cash in on the success - at the expense of quality and originality. But like all rules, there are a few exceptions. Toy Story 3 and Monster's University are a couple that come to mind. So to answe the original question in the topic ,I would have to say leave them. nothing beats the original!

10. firelily99

firelily99 Member

I have seen so many of the originals as a child its hard for me like the newer ones. The new ones are wonderful but I am sentimental about the older ones.

11. DavitosanX

DavitosanX Member

I think that sequels should only exist when the producers are certain that it will surpass or at least be equal in quality as the original. Toy Story 3 is a fine example of a sequel done right. Cinderella sequels are examples of movies I can do without.

12. Streak

Streak Member

It drives me crazy when they release prequels... Haha. That being said, I thought Monster's University was a pretty cute little movie. My son really likes watching it. We have a copy of it downloaded to our PlayStation and I can get him to watch a small chunk of it which is pretty good for his attention span.

I did not even know there was a Cinderella sequel.... Why even bother? Haha.

I feel like even Little Mermaid was so good.... That the sequel never really stood a chance.

13. DavitosanX

DavitosanX Member

There were two of them. Cinderella 3 involved time travel. Enough said.

14. StaLock

StaLock Member

I agree, besides Lion King and Toy Story there are many sequels I can do without. The Mulan, Pocahontas, Cinderella, and The Little Mermaid sequels were all weak. The Little Mermaid one was probably the best out of the bunch and I still felt like it wasn't necessary. The first one basically closes things out for you. I feel like sequels should only be made if the first movie leaves a need for one, if the first one wraps up everything in the movie why bring on a sequel?

15. malia

malia Member

I don't really mind when they change the voice actors.As long as they can voice act well, it doesn't really bother me. With that being said, I'm usally not interested in sequals, but if I'm completly bored I will watch.

p.s. You didn't like mulan 2? I thought it was pretty good :)

16. dandeliion

dandeliion Member

I don't even bother with Disney sequels and have only seen a few. They for the most part suck!

17. gokoko

gokoko Member

I share your annoyance with most Disney sequels. Many of them are much lower of quality than the previous film. They often have different directors and voice actors which makes them even less original. Not all sequels are bad, as their are a few good ones out there. They really should put in much more effort than they do, otherwise, they are spoiling the story!

18. kdenean

kdenean Member

I think the only sequels I'm happy about in Disney are for the DCOMs on Disney Channel. The animated films are always so good on their own, but the Original Movies always seem to be improved by sequels. Like High School Musical!

19. mauricioq

mauricioq Member

I normally enjoy them too, but the first one is always the best, because of the originality aspect. In my opinion there's no need for sequels unless the story isn't finished.

20. Reeyuru

Reeyuru Member

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. People have to try to understand that it's best to leave certain things alone. I do enjoy all the Lion Kings and I liked the Toy Storys as well though. So like everything it really depends, and it's all about opinion as well. I guess it would be better to make sequels to things because at least some group of people will enjoy it although I'm contradicting my second sentence a little bit. It isn't like a sequel can ruin the greatness of the original.