Did you know? - Magic Kingdom Prt II

Discussion in 'Disney Theme Park Discussion' started by canadianman30, Feb 24, 2010.

1. canadianman30

canadianman30 Member

* Only one building on Main Street USA is built to full scale, Exposition Hall. This was done to hide the Contemporary Resort. Seeing it would have ruined the illusion that you are walking down the street of a nineteenth century town.

* In "Space Mountain" there are two separate ride tracks. Alpha, the left track, is 3,196 feet long, while the right track, Omega, is 3,186 feet. Alpha is longer because it crosses over Omega at one point.

* "Space Mountain" constructed after the Walt Disney World railroad is the only attraction in the Magic Kingdom to be located outside the perimeter of its track.

* You can find Cinderellas horse on her "Golden Carousel" in Fantasyland. Look for the steed in the second row from the outside with the Golden ribbon on its tail.

* The "Country Bear Jamborees" Big Al was modeled after imagineer Al Bertino whol helped design and write the script for the attraction and numerous others.

* The "Country Bear Jamboree" is affectionately known as 'Walts last laugh' among Imagineers because he reviewed sketches for the attraction at the Imagineering offices prior to his admission into the hospital preceding his death.

* The entire flume system on "Splash Mountain" can be drained in 5 minutes and totally refilled in just over 20 minutes.

* The Imagineers originally wanted to pave Main Street USA entirely with bricks. But the price for the bricks they found was too high so they only used bricks on the side streets and paved Main Street with red cement.

* Cinderella Castle was inspired by the number of European castles including Chenonceau in France. But unlike that Sixteenth century chateau Cinderella Castle was built with 600 tons of steel and not a single stone.

2. highland3

highland3 Member

This is great stuff!!!!

3. obo101

obo101 Member

Keep it coming!

4. Csaks

Csaks Member

Ok call me stupid but isn't Pirate's and Splash not on the other side of the tracks?

I was just there, doing the Keys tour and they are both on the wrong side of the tracks. Saw the water storage tanks and a good chunk of the ride for Splash is out back and the drop in Pirates takes you under the tracks to the show building.

Am I missing something?

5. Edware

Edware Member

Wow I did not know most of these! I find these to be very interesting and informative. I'd definitely love to read more.