Canvas size

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by haunteddoc, Jan 13, 2009.

1. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

I am trying to increase the canvas size of a pic to make a gallery print. I start off by duplicating the background layer then use the canvas size to add 1 inch of white around the entire pic. Then the plan would be to add an additional inch to the bottom and then to add an inner stroke. The problem I am having is when I increase the canvas size, it only adds the white to the background copy. The duplicated copy extension is transparent. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. mSummers

mSummers Member

I assume you're working in photoshop. In that case, i don't think photoshop can add a color to the canvas extension to any layer other than the background. If you delete the background, it can only add transparent space to the image.

3. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

Indeed working in Photoshop. After playing with it some more, I think you are correct.

4. mSummers

mSummers Member

I don't think it would make a difference for what you are doing though... Unless you are doing something like a drop shadow, I don't think you'd need the canvas extension on a separate layer.

5. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

I'm trying my hand at making a gallery frame. So far the extra canvas on the background layer has not poised a problem but I am still working on it.

6. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

if you want to change the canvas extension size, you can always use the fill tool with a pre-selected color.
    i have an action that will make a gallery frame. perhaps a new article is in order?

7. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

New article would be nice. Go for it.