Byron's Photo Gallery

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by AUBandPilot, Jan 20, 2007.

1. AUBandPilot

AUBandPilot Member

I finally "found" an online gallery software package that does what I want one to do. If you take a look at it you will notice that it looks much like Tim's "new" gallery. That's because Tim was the one that found Exhibit Engine and introduced it to me. Over the past 3 weeks or so, Tim and I have spent about 20 hours on Skype discussing the installation and configuration of EE. After much cursing and do-overs, we both have our galleries online. Tim's can be found by clicking on the "PHOTOS" link above. And my lowly gallery can be found by clicking here :-\.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. gary

gary Member

nice layout, i thought it was a little slow loading tonight, but that may be due to the 40mph+ winds we are currently having here, i live on the tundra of riverhead, exposed farmland
    i'm still trying to decide between an online gallery host or my own webpage, now is this a software package you use with your own page?
    i really like the clean look of the index, that's what i'm looking to achieve, of course by the time i get up a page and learn a little html it will be a long long time before i ever have to worry about a cluttered complex page
    gary

3. AUBandPilot

AUBandPilot Member

Exhibit Engine is a PHP based "software" application I installed on one of my personal sites.

4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

and boy is it fun to setup and configure. there is no native installer for the package, rather to get where my galleries are now, i had in install ver. 1.5, the upgrade to 2.0, 2.1, and 2.2, then do a bunch of hard-code modifications. aubandpilot wasn't kidding about the hours of cursing and do-overs. fun fun fun.

5. barrie

barrie Member

That doesn't sound like a glowing recommendation Tim!

6. Tim

well then... point well taken. it WASN'T fun, as evidenced by the hours on skype that byron and i spent trying to get this thing working to the way we want it. there are still things that we are learning about it, little tricks and easter eggs that are hidden in the code, but it took many hours to set up the first time. then, i switched hosting companies and the copy/paste thing didnt work so i had to do it all over again so i got some bonus fun. but, now that things are up and running, the beauty of the gallery can come out... i really think it's nice and has a ton of features so i look forward to seeing some feedback as to what you folks think about it. byron has been a tremendous help and i give him a lot of credit and thanks for his help with this.

7. dawholagn

dawholagn Member

Both galleries look great, guys!

8. idarknight

idarknight Member

Have you guys looking into JAlbum?

9. Tim

i used to use jalbum but upgraded to EE2. it is SO much more powerful that jalbum. there are some jalbum skins that are really sophisticated, but i like the database structure of EE2... MUCH easier to update than jalbum in which i had to upload everything to change one thing.

10. Byron the one good thing I could say about your album (besides your awesome pictures of course) is that it shows the shutter time/aperature. Im a newbie at this so ive been trying to figure out the best settings for fireworks!