Best time

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by prettypixie, Dec 30, 2007.

1. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

In everyone's opinion, when is the best time of year (weather, crowds etc.) to plan a trip both for DL and WDW?

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

DL? Almost never nowadays. Weekdays, perhaps in late Jan, first week of Feb?

WDW - Now I'm probably wrong, but I would say right around Memorial Day is good (not including the holiday weekend) because most schools are still in session, yet you don't have the severe humidity quite yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

What about Disney cruises? I've been to DL and WDW, but never done the cruise. We've been talking about that possibility as well.

4. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Not between 6/1 and 11/30.

5. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I can say that if you are going to WDW, right around Labor Day, but more just after is a great time. The only down side to it is that the MK closes around 6. I have also gone in April during Jersey Week. Don't go during April, but just after this during the beginning of May and just before Memorial Day I am told is a fantastic time to go. As far as the Disney Cruise is concerned, I am not able to comment at all except to say I am going on the Western Caribbean cruise on April 19th, Jersey Week. I'll let you know what it was like when I get back, but that will probably be too late for you to make a decision.

6. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

I know in September 2007, the Contemporary was bumping every resv. to the tower, because it was so slow, and it was easier for them to shutdown the wing!

We alway like late August. Crowds aren't too bad, parks are still open pretty late, Weather is nice and hot the way we like it!

7. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

I've always heard that the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas are somewhat light. I was there on the 18th of December last year and it wasn't bad. February is when we usually go Kids are back in school from winter break and haven't been there long enough for the them to be taken out of school. I would say any time right after school gets in session. I would check touringplans.com crowd calendar.

8. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

during "jersey week" is the most fun i've ever had at wdw... it was the first full week of november. smaller crowds, not hot.

9. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

Thanks guys...keep 'em coming. Especially if anyone knows about the cruise. I haven't heard anything about it.

10. gary

gary Member

i think early may is a real good time for a cruise, we did the eastern 5/13/06-5/20/06, the ship was not quite sold out, but also bear in mind the dcl boats are somewhat smaller compared to many of the other lines, particularly the voyager class and such
    hurricane season can be a value, but has it's own unique risks, canceled cruise, late arrival back, diversion to a different debarkation, cancelation of any and all ports of cal, etc
    as far as wdw goes, we swear by mousefest time, but it has the 2 main things we want most, the christmas shows/decorations, and lower temps, neither karen or i enjoy anything close to hot, if it never went over 80 i'd be a happy human
    karen and her sister did a girls only trip 2 years ago the last week of january, they had great weather and she was amazed in that every single attraction was a walk-on, not 5 minutes on line anywhere

11. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I have been to Disney World in every month of the year, and other than when a convention or conference is in town, I would say hands-down the best time to go is from the week after MLK day through the middle of February.

The weather is usually very cool - upper 60s to mid 70s is normal for highs, and upper 40s to mid 50s at night...usually sunny with no rain...parks are at their least-crowded all year with 5 minute waits or less even for prime rides...much less children...ducks and rabbits are out in force at all the resorts, walking right up to rooms at GF, Poly, Ft. Wilderness, Beach, Boardwalk, etc...and restaurants can be enjoyed without reservations.

Worst-case scenario is if a conference or convention is in town during that time, in which case the parks are still no more crowded then they would be during the fall or spring school-in-session times. Rain is infrequent that time of year...and the weather is usually gorgeous for walking around all day. And if you happen to get an unusually cold snap while there (it can occasionally dip to the low 50s for a high, and 30s at night), you get to enjoy Disney's coffee, hot chocolate, and hot snack kiosks that pop up everywhere...and the crowds thin even more!

I'll be up there end of Jan this year, and booked that time for exactly this reason. I'm praying for a nice moderate cool front to come through and give me those gorgeous temps...and I'll be staying on the Boardwalk, perfect for walking around and into Epcot!

12. jcvalenti

jcvalenti Member

I'm going to WDW from 6/25 to 7/9 of this year. I can guarantee you that is absolutely NOT the best time to go. I can feel the heat stroke and general anger at the press of humanity building even now.