Best "off-property" bangs for the buck?

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by Tim, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i have only stayed off-property one time in the past few years and it was at the knight's inn on 192. ; nothing special, but it was functional and clean and only $33 a night (free b/fast, internet, fridge, microwave, etc). ; what are some of the other hidden values in off-property lodging that you would recommend?

unfortunately, the value resorts are a little high for my liking for the trip coming up in 3 weeks, even with discounts applied. ; ($150 rack for a value in march? ; ouch!)

2. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

We were contemplating going off property for our trip last October, and if I recall correctly, we found some pretty good rates at the Downtown Disney Hilton. ; Probably not the best deal possible (I would be really surprised if it was the best deal possible), but the location seemed very good.

You might also try checking out the Swan and Dolphin if you, or your wife, are a teacher, nurse, or (maybe) government employee (if I recall correctly, you're the latter?). ; Sarah is a nurse and she would've been able to get a pretty good rate there. ; It won't be better than one of the Values, but if you're balking at the price of the Value because it isn't worth the price (if you get what I mean), but are willing to spend slightly more for something that actually is nice, the Swan or Dolphin might fit the bill.

I'll be curious to see what other people have to say...

3. ELinder

ELinder Member

If I'm on the road and want a plain roadside motel, I usually check with the AAA auto club. If you have a rental car, I'm sure you can find something cheap and clean. It's not like we don't have enough motels in Orlando. :)

Erich

4. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I haven't done any of the cheapie off properties in a long time, but if I end up off property, I prefer to spend just a bit more and look at the Downtown Disney resort area hotels. ; I've stayed several times in the Wyndam that sits right across from Saratoga, and it is a definite favorite for me if I have to be off-site. ; The 'rack rate' is nothing special - usually around the same as the moderates at Disney at rack rate - $110-140 or so. ; However, they seem to regularly be advertising special discount rates, and I've never paid more than $90 a night, usually less, to stay there. ; That gets me upper-floor tower view of Downtown Disney (awesome!), and due to the location of the hotel right across from the Marketplace bus stop, you can even use Disney transportation (if you don't mind the hop through a resort). ; I never used the Wyndam bus or my car while there...just Marketplace to one of the resorts as needed (Beach/Yacht for Epcot and walk in, Boardwalk/Beach for DHS and take boat, or Contemporary/Wilderness/GF for MK and take boat or monorail. ; AK you can go to any resort...not much different in bus times there!).

I've also stayed at the Grosvenor and Hilton (was just at Hilton last September)...both are decent alternatives and still within walking distance of the Marketplace bus stop. ; Most seem to run specials in the $80-90 or so range.

5. zackiedawg

BTW - I'm not keeping up with name changes - the Wyndham is now just called Buena Vista Palace, and the Grosvenor is now the Best Western Buena Vista Tower or somesuch. ; A quickie glance on the 'Downtown Disney Resorts' site shows Palace starting at $99 now, and Best Western starting at $78.

6. Zeagle

Zeagle Member

How many nights are you staying?

7. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

I forgot to add, the reason we ultimately decided not to do off-property was because of the benefits we'd be losing (which is obviously the reason Disney is "oh so kind" in offering these "free" services). ; No EMH. ; No DME. ; Having to rent a car. ; We thought about doing the "walk to DtD" thing to use the buses, but that takes extra time, and since we're only there twice (or so) per year, we place a high value on our time while we're there. ;

If you're more relaxed, this may not be a big deal to you, but we're park opening until well after end-of-EMH people. ; By my rough math, we'd be losing roughly 3 hours (averaged) per day in the parks by staying off property, and we'd have to pay for the added expense of a car (alternatively, we'd lose 4 hours per day, and would just have to pay for an airport shuttle). ; We ended up determining that it was worth it for us to pay $40/day more (the difference between what we chose and the off property option we would've chosen) to stay on property.

Just another consideration. ; Obviously your mileage may vary.

8. Stitch

Stitch Member

I stayed at the Radisson Maingate back in September and it was okay. It cost me $6.95 for the one night thanks to reward points (yay MagicMeets!). It had a very Florida in the 80s style to it, sleep number beds, and as I found out the next morning... it had a view for one section of the building. (though fog, rain covered windows) And I they are a Good Neighbor hotel so they have transportation to the parks and an in-room Disney info channel.

[​IMG]

Cropped Image
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  9. zackiedawg

Yeah, it definitely depends on the type of pace and schedule you want to maintain there. ; I'm definitely a close the park person, but very very far from an open the park person...so I have plenty of spare time in the mornings as I'm never in a rush to get up and get in the parks.

The Buena Vista Palace BTW has at least that advantage due to proximity to Marketplace - walking to the bus stop for Marketplace is no longer than the walk to the bus stop inside some of the Disney resorts. ; There's a small path winding to the left of the main entrance, covered, that puts you right to the road across from the Marketplace busses...cross the street and you're in the bus stop. ; I've walked as far in Saratoga Springs and French Quarter to get a bus!

On the other benefits - no arguments there. ; I stay onsite (DVC in fact) 99% of the time. ; The only reasons I end up off site are when I go on such short notice that there's no availability in Disney, or for business/conferences where they are putting me up. ; And even with conferences, I have managed to wiggle my way onto Disney property at the company's expense, by presenting them with an option that is cheaper than the conference rate at the Marriott (which is where my company often holds an annual conference). ; I stay at French Quarter, and it's only a 2 mile drive to the Marriott for the conference. ; And when the conference is ever each night, I can hit Disney busses and boats and enjoy the parks, rather than sitting in a hotel bar with a bunch of suits. ; ;)

10. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

http://www.worldquestorlando.com/

We stayed here last summer- brand new 2 bed / 2 bath condo , full kitchen, screened patio, great pool, free breakfast for like $89 a night- right by Nick hotel- 3 min from main gate. ; No idea what the rates are now though.

11. Tim

we both get the discount but that is still usually 150-170/nite discounted. ; stayed there a few times in the past. ; i don't mind value resorts at all, as i consider rooms as a place to sleep, shower, and the other thing- actually i enjoy some of the kitschy decor. ;

12. Tim

gotta love those 2pm wake up calls!

13. Tim

14. Tim

like i said, the knights inn maingate on 192 is acceptable and serviceable. ; not to mention $33 a night with breakfast and internet, microwave, and fridge. ; nothing super fancy but not a cardboard box either. ; we have been renting cars due to having the kids also so the distance (5 mins off property) is not really an issue.

15. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

How about Len Testa's favorite, the Magic Castle Inn & Suites on 192?

I recommend the hotels on Palm Parkway. ; I've stayed at the Courtyard and Hawthorn Suites in the past. ; The complimentary breakfast buffet at the Hawthorn was excellent!

You also should check out mousesavers.com for special deals.

16. BorisMD

BorisMD Member

Definitely go to quikbook.com and see what they have to offer.

I've used them in the past, and gotten very good prices, but it's a crapshoot whether they will have anything for your dates/location.

Hope that helps,

Boris

17. We normally stay at the Fairfield Marriott on Harbor which is only about 10 minutes from the gates. ; It's clean, friendly staff and overall a good hotel. ; We've stayed onsite before and yes, it was great but thank God someone else was paying for it. ; For me it wasn't worth $200+ a night. ; We only stay at a hotel for sleeping and showering. ; We're at the parks from opening until close. ;

This next trip, we're staying at the Super 8 which is 15 minute walk to the front Gates, and recently booked it for $45 a night. ; Reviews are that it's very clean and sort of a "you get what you pay for" type hotel. ; Perfect for us since we're only there for about 6 hours a night.

18. Tim

i meant for WDW, not DL. ; we had good success with the motel 6 on disney way a few years ago and would use them again.

19. Well that's what I get for not paying close enough attention. :) ;

Thanks for the advice on the Motel 6.

20. Tim

its about a 15-20 minute walk to the esplandae but if i remember correctly, it was about 60-65 bucks a night in july, 2007. ; recommended.