Astrophotography

Discussion in 'Photography 101' started by Stryker412, Nov 25, 2007.

1. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I just got my 130EQ this week. Set it up this evening, it works....the moon happened to be ideal tonight. Now if only I had a camera for the built-in piggyback socket...... (that and I'm waiting for the motor drive for the EQ mount)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. Stryker412

Stryker412 Member

I plan on doing more photos once the weather warms up a little. I got tired of being outside in 10-20 degree weather for hours. :)

4. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

Ten degrees is way to cold. But to show how hot it is here I played sand volleyball the other day and got really sunburned.

5. Stryker412

Stryker412 Member

Well unfortunately I never made it back outside with the camera for more photos, however I'm going to be doing it again soon in the Winter weather so the air is crisp. The max my camera can do is a 15sec exposure so unfortunately I'm not sure what results I'm going to get.

6. Stryker412

Stryker412 Member

I went out tonight and froze my butt off but was able to capture a good image of Orion.

[​IMG]

7. PolynesianMedic

That is a good shot of Orion! Nice work!

8. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice work Stryker!

9. gary

gary Member

nice airplane reference
    over, over
    no i'm under dunn

10. PolynesianMedic

Not the best I could have done, but I need a bigger lens to get more moon detail, I think.

[​IMG]

11. mSummers

mSummers Member

Jeff, you should be able to get a decent amount of detail with the lens you used. Try setting the camera on full manual and adjust the shutter speed until the moon isn't overexposed. I took this one with a 70-200 on a D2Xs (1.5 crop sensor) 1/125s at f8, 100ISO:.

[​IMG]

I cropped it a lot, but it still shows plenty of detail. Yours should be even better since you have a longer lens.

12. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

What do mean by more detail? In this shot the moon is overexposed, which is too easy to do, since you have to follow the sunny f/16 rule.

13. PolynesianMedic

Thanks for the info, I will definitely have to go out and try this again with these settings and see what I can get. Guess I should go see when the next full moon is.

14. Stryker412

Stryker412 Member

15. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Easiest way I've found, Jeff, is to choose spot metering, and meter directly off the moon in P, A, or S mode. It's bright enough to get you normal, daylight-type shutter speeds and low ISO, so detail should be no problem at all. And don't necessarily wait for a full moon - the partially shadowed moon actually gives you better detail than the full moon!

I managed this with my 500mm lens:

[​IMG]

This one was only at 230mm (plus 1.5x crop factor) - crescent moon, Venus, and Jupiter. Cool thing is you can even see Jupiter's moons (those tiny dots next to the right-most planet) at only 345mm equivalent:

[​IMG]

Looked at closer at 500mm (750 equiv), you can more clearly see 4 of the moons:

[​IMG]

Here's a close crop of a 50% moon...you can still get pretty good detail in a partially shadowed moon even with alot of cropping:

[​IMG]

16. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

yes, while shooting the moon you should follow the "sunny-16" rule... 1/ISO at f/16.
    this is appropriate because the moon is illuminated with reflected sunlight.

17. Tim

first and last ones are great, justin.

18. Stryker412

Stryker412 Member

I have to get back out there.

BTW, Tim never knew you were in Jersey too. You should come out to the field with us.

19. Tim

where are you in NJ? there are a few of us from my immediate area in south jersey.

20. Stryker412

Stryker412 Member

I live near Long Beach Island.