another example of RAW power

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by Tim, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Which reminds me of the REAL reason behind the power of RAW:

Jpeg is only 8 bit, and it saves the color information per pixel as it is saved. So changing the white balance, etc. has to be done by removing a color cast. What RAW does is allow access to the original RGB three pixels* that created the 8-bit JPEG in the first place, so the white balance is more accurately changed by adjusting the blend ratio of the RGB to produce each individual pixel. Same with exposure recovery, etc. etc.

* applicable to Bayer-sensor CCD and CMOS cameras. Does not apply to Foveon sensors.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

That explains it so I understand it, thanks!

3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

raw is 12 bit

4. Roger

<ahem> The next generation is using 14 bits. Canon and Nikon's cameras released after late Feb 2007 have them, even the 40D.

5. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Is this the same as the video games consoles, that have gone from 8-16-32-64 bit and so on? More bits equal better quality and more realism if you will.

6. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

that should be an accurate assumption.

7. Roger

Similar; What it has done is allow for more graduations between colors; most of which you can't see on a regular monitor, but it helps.

8. jcvalenti

jcvalenti Member

I shoot nothing but RAW. It forces me to be more diligent in my file storage (it, if I take 100 pics at a kid's birthday party, I don't keep them all ... I pick and choose). My rationale is this: I never know when I'm going to take that "perfect" picture that I might want to blow up and frame to some obnoxious size. So I want to make sure I have the most detailed, most flexible version of pic I can.

I agree with Tim though - RAW isn't some magical cure-all for garbage shots. You still have to work at getting the best source you can. The vast majority of my RAW snaps I don't even touch, except for maybe a minor white balance adjustment.