Animal Kingdom animals with the new 70-200mm F4 OSS lens

Discussion in 'Photography 101' started by zackiedawg, Jan 31, 2015.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

This is for Gary in particular, who wanted to see samples from the new lens - and for anyone else interested in the animals of AK, the lens, or just enjoys animal photos! Picked up the Sony FE70-200mm G F4 OSS lens to go with my A6000 mirrorless, and this past week's trip to Disney was my first time to get to use it. I'm impressed with this lens - very sharp, very clean, focus is excellent, handles beautifully, solidly built, etc.

I'll post the original shot resized to web-posting size, followed by a '100% crop' from the original to show pixel-peeping detail level. Note all these were handheld, all shot in JPG in camera, and no processing - just taking the shots as they come out of the camera. Some were of course shot on the Kilimanjaro Safari which is a challenge in itself for keeping stable and focusing!
    Resized:
    [​IMG]

100% crop:
    [​IMG]

Resized:
    [​IMG]

100% crop:
    [​IMG]

Resized:
    [​IMG]

100% crop:
    [​IMG]

Resized:
    [​IMG]

100% crop:
    [​IMG]

Resized:
    [​IMG]

100% crop:
    [​IMG]

Resized:
    [​IMG]

100% crop:
    [​IMG]

One more, this one a non-animal shot...taken almost wide open, at 200mm, and from a distance of a Google Earth measured 250 feet:
    [​IMG]

Here's the 100% crop of the original (I took this from my Boardwalk villa patio, across the main pool):
    [​IMG]

2. Very impressive.

3. gary

gary Member

well, i guess that makes up my mind about getting that lens, nice detail

4. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I'm pretty happy with it! I was out birding with it yesterday - decided to just take it to test it and left the big Tamron 150-600 home - though it's not the reach needed for serious birding, it does well enough down here because we can get pretty close to birds in Florida - I shot a lot of birds in flight, and the lens and camera are fast enough for even the difficult stuff like swallows and kingfishers and grackles flying. I think you should have a good experience with the lens, especially on the full frame camera for those more distant landscapes or details, and any wildlife encounters.