Advice needed: Mac tools, apps, & configuration for efficient photo processing

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by Grumpwurst, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Scott,

In the process of helping me you may have removed a major annoyance of Roger's with A3

2. ELinder

ELinder Member

Re: Advice needed: Mac tools, apps, & configuration for efficient photo process

I've settled on using both Nikon Transfer and Aperture. I create a folder on my internal HD with the name of whatever event the photos are from, then use NT to bring all the images off the SD cards. I have it rename the files on a running counter (DSC_12045.nef and so on), so no matter what the name it was given in the camera, I will never have 2 photos with the same file name anywhere. That folder gets copied to an external HD as backup.

Then in Aperture, I import the shots I want to work on, again into an event/project folder, adding keywords and setting a Location once in (no GPS on my camera). That Aperture library gets automatically backed up by Time Machine during the normal cycle.

Erich

3. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

This is one of the reasons I thought this would make a great topic here. ; This would have taken forever in Twitter! ; Even if people don't use Aperture or even a Mac...this process of taking, ingesting, and organizing photos is relevant to all digital photographers. ; I try to use the most of what Aperture gives me to make it as painless as possible. ; I know I need to make my process better, too. ; Threads like this help me as much as anyone. ; :)

4. Grumpwurst

So ELinder has cast a vote for using Nikon Transfer in conjunction with Aperture 3.

So far no one has chimed in with using anything other than A3 ;)

Scott (or anyone else who knows),

Is there anything that Aperture does during it's process of pulling images off the card that it wouldn't allow you to do if you imported them into a library when pulled off the card using another method (Drag & Drop into Finder, Nikon Transfer, etc)? ; I know the renaming of the file cannot be done, but anything else that you would have to forgo if you used another method to get the pics off the card?

5. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Maybe you should ping Gary. ; He uses Adobe Lightroom which just released Version 3 this week which is a 64-bit version. ; He has a PC but the program is the same on both platforms. ;

As to what can't be done with Aperture when ingesting your photos? ; I say there isn't any advantage to NOT using Aperture to do that task. ; Nikon Transfer is good but I don't see any advantage to using it over Aperture or Lightroom.

6. Grumpwurst

Oops, I think I may have asked my question backwards....

I was wondering what you CAN do with Aperture that you couldn't do if you ingested another method prior to importing into Aperture

7. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I'll try and let Scott answer that one Ray....however A3 seems to act the same if you're importing fresh or importing from a directory on a hard drive...

8. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Well, if you use Finder you are only moving your files from the card to a folder on your hard drive. ; From there you can import it into Aperture but that's adding a step. ; Nikon Transfer (going by memory of when I used it on my PC) just does the same with the added benefits of selecting the location and renaming files. Again, Aperture can do that and a whole lot more. ;

That is correct. ; So if you have archived photos in another location, you can bring them into Aperture.

One thing I failed to mention. ; In his Aperture 3 online classes in May, Scott Bourne strongly recommended using Aperture's library for the location of all photos. ; When you place photos in their own location outside of Aperture's library, they are referenced within Aperture. ; If you move the file, Aperture will loose that reference. ; You can fix that but I am still on the fence about this method.

9. Roger

I do that right now - referenced master files across several external HDs.

After thinking about the library files though, I'm really thinking about using Libraries for when I used to use projects. ; Especially for large trips....I think the biggest disadvantage is that you can't search across the libraries. (more than one at a time)

But if I was a pro, I would use a new library for each client/job. ; Makes perfect sense, esp. now that you can switch on the fly.

10. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Yep, that's how Scott Bourne uses Libraries now, Roger. ; And I had the same thought as you to use libraries like projects but not being able to search over multiple libraries is holding me back right now.

11. Grumpwurst

It sounds like Aperture is taking a play out of iTune's playbook. ; The same idea was incorporated in version 8 or iTunes. ; In fact, most sites talking about moving your iTunes library around strongly recommends that you use the iTunes library instead of referenced files outside. ; The reason being that you can tell iTunes where your library lives and easily alter the configuration setting to state that your library is now in a new location (eg external drive). ; Then you'd run a process that moves all the files from their old library location to the new and iTunes does it all for you.

I wonder if Aperture gives you the same ability to define where the library is located in the file structure (HD, external drive or NAS) and then you can have Aperture move the contents around based on the new configuration. ; If so, it isn't a big deal to expand storage

12. Roger

Yes, you can tell Aperture where to save a library file, and personally I don't have a huge problem with relocating the master files. ; It's actually not that hard. ; But you have to use A3 to move them, not Finder.

13. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Yep, just like iTunes, Ray. ; That's how I've always managed my music but since I don't create the music, it didn't bother me. ; For some reason, it does for my photos. ; :) Yet, I have no trouble moving stuff around inside Aperture when it comes to Projects, Folders or Albums like I would in iTunes.

Oh, did I mention smart albums? ; Just like in iTunes. ; I have several based on Keywords or many other kinds of criteria. ; For example, if I add the keyword 'panning' to a photo it automatically shows up in a smart album. If I add a photo taken with the 50mm lens, it goes into a smart album. ; You can go crazy with this stuff. ; :eek:

14. ELinder

ELinder Member

One of the reasons I'm using Nikon Transfer first is that I want to make sure I have a copy of the unaltered NEF file somewhere, and backed up. I'm having Aperture import the images into its own library (not referenced to the original import) on import, which it then processes. I know I can export the unaltered raw back out if needed, but it's an extra step if/when I would need to do that. Also, having it all in the Aperture library, images, keywords, changes, organization, everything, makes backing it up and/or restoring much easier.

I haven't used it yet, but merging the Aperture libraries between my MacPro and my MBP looks like it would need to have everything in the Aperture library. Right now I have some images I edited in Aperture on the laptop that aren't on my desktop, and i need a way to painlessly move them to the desktop.

Erich

15. Grumpwurst

It is sounding like A3, unlike iTunes gives you more control on how your files are named which is something I didn't like with iTunes. ; But it is strongly suggested to keep all your music in the library and when adding music that was ripped outside of iTunes (music ripped with iTunes automatically gets put into the library) it's suggested you have iTunes put a copy in the library.

As I'm finding out now that I'm trying to move my iTunes from a dying laptop to my MacBook, it is easier on so many levels if you had all your music in the iTunes library. ; Once you defined where you want your library you just went Library --> Organize Library --> Consolidate Files. ; Then iTunes will take all the files outside your library (referenced files) and bring them into the library. ; Unfortunately, it also renamed them and created it's own directory structure based on Artist, Album, etc. ; If you want to change the library location, to say an external attached drive or a network share, then you'd use the Consolidate Files option after changing the library location. ; At that point, all the files that were in the old library location would be considered referenced files and be moved into the new library. ; Once done, and you are sure everything was copied over you delete the old library location.

So, I'm going to assume with A3, that when you import into A3, the files that were outside of the library (because you pulled them off the card with a different method than A3) will still reside in their original location and a duplicate file is copied into the A3 Library. ; Is that true? ;

So, if I don't want duplicity of files (one in the Nikon Transfer directory and one in the A3 Library location), then I should delete the original files once done?

I loved Smart Folders in iTunes. ; I used it to create an always live view of all podcasts that weren't listened to completely.

So, I think I'm going to love Smart Albums.

I guess with the power of that, keywording becomes even more important. ; As long as you add all the keywords you think you might need, you could easily create smart albums for such things as "Tomorrrowland", "Big Thunder Mountain", "Kai", "Kylee", etc., etc., etc. and they'll automatically pick up all the new pictures that are tagged accordingly.

That seems like it would be so much better than dragging and dropping them into different albums. ; Also, if you end up incorrectly tagging a picture, you simply remove the keyword and it's out of the Smart Album as opposed to having to physically delete a file out of an album.

Smart Albums are definitely something that would greatly improve Flickr...;)

16. Grumpwurst

Erich,

So are you saying that the reason you use Nikon Transfer is that it allows you to have a backup copy of all your files removed from your camera because when you import them into A3, those files are preserved in the Nikon Transfer location and a copy is brought into A3?

Also, since it's sounding like A3 operates a lot like iTunes, it would seem logical that life would be easier for you to move stuff around if all your files are in an A3 library as opposed to referenced outside the library

I know with iTunes, once you have successfully created an iTunes library on an external drive you can move it to another machine easily if you tell iTunes to use that external drive location as the new library.

17. Roger

If you want it to. ; You can either have the file added to the Aperture library *file*, in a set location (see Scott's tip), or Aperture can reference it where it lies. ; After Aperture imports a memory card it will ask you if you want to delete the card or just eject.

See above? ; Your choice.

Now one thing you can do it have the system add certain tags on import. ; Myself, I add the copyright metadata on import but I know you can have more show up for you to add. ; While the GIU interface for tagging is easy to figure out, just something else to think of....

18. ELinder

ELinder Member

Right, it's copying the file rather than moving it, and creating a new version in its own Aperture library.

Erich

19. Roger

While I have to wait 4-6 weeks for the camera connection kit, yes, it came today. ; Now I just have to remove the vendor's stuff from it.[nb]I won it at my work conference in NOLA, the local rep delivered it.[/nb]

20. Grumpwurst

I, for one, request a TMIP review of this camera connection kit.

I read somewhere that not only does the kit comes with a SD card adapter but also a USB adapter which makes many wonder if that means we could hook a USB card reader up to it so we can pull off ; pictures from our CF cards