A wild DHS Fireworks story!

Discussion in 'Disney's Hollywood Studios Photos' started by zackiedawg, Feb 19, 2016.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Last month on my last trip to Disney, I was at DHS my first night there, and didn't really feel the need to see the fireworks show, so I took that time when the streets out front were filling to wander more of the backstage areas, and take a few photos. I found myself on the Streets of America just a few minutes before the fireworks were to begin, and the CMs had blocked off access to the Studio Catering area...I decided I'd just hang out at the end of the Streets of America down by the Lights Motors Action end, which is very close to where the fireworks launch from...and as close as the CMs were letting you go. Funny thing was, I was the only one there, other than the 2 CMs, as the fireworks began.

It was neat seeing them from there, more-so HEARING them from there - wow, it's loud! But about 1 minute into the show, strange noises started all around me, like hail. I realized various burnt powder residue, paper shell remnants, and other bits from the fireworks were raining down on the Streets...which I was standing on very much out in the open. After hearing some rather large bits come down around me, and seeing at least 3 still-burning firework trails reach the ground and bounce off the pavement still on fire, I decided taking cover might be smart - the two female CMs were standing under the Shrunk the Kids entryway and didn't seem to be noticing any issues - they were mostly watching up the street the other direction for anyone coming towards their cordoned area. On my way to running under the Jewelry store sign and awning for cover, I heard a huge chunk land, and picked it up on my way past - a full 1/2-coconut-shell-sized hardened shell casing 7-8 inches diameter! I waved over to the CM, showed them what was in my hand, and pointed to the debris raining down - and they immediately got on their walkies to report it. A few more people came walking down the street and they told them to take cover ASAP (the CMs had hardhats, just in case I guess). By the time the show was over, the street was littered with debris - mostly paper and burnt powder clusters...but some rather large bits of the hardened paper shell casings. The CMs were going to start letting people pass through while calling for janitorial staff to come clean up - when I noticed at least two M80-sized fireworks (for lack of a better word) - which had half-burned wicks that hadn't burned all the way in, and therefore were still packed with LIVE powder (they were safe unless someone held a match or cigarette to the remaining wick, but surely not something Disney would want accessible to guests!) These are some of the bits that are packed into each firework shell cluster and casing that whizz and burn off in various directions as planned - some don't burn as intended. I turned them over to the CMs, who looked extremely nervous to even touch them and immediately re-closed off the street and thanked me. I was tempted to keep the coconut-shell fireworks casing, but it was too bulky to fit in a pocket and I felt a little guilty, so I turned that over to them as well. I wandered off again and continued my photo tour.

I personally found it to be an extremely cool experience. I don't think Disney managers were as entertained by it - the wind had clearly shifted a bit from original plans, and the area they cordoned off to park guests when I finally did walk through was completely clear of debris - while the area they had left open was covered. Some of those half-shell pieces were quite hard - like paper-mache-covered cardboard, and falling from quite a height, so could have done a little injury I'm sure. For someone who goes to Disney as often as I do, it ended up just being a cool experience to remember...something different from the norm...and a rare gaffe in safety for the normally over-conservative Disney! Can't always guess what mother nature will do, and shifting wind direction right as the fireworks were starting is not something really within their control - but I wouldn't be surprised if they end of cordoning off an even bigger area now!

Joanie Eddis-Koch likes this.
  2. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Very interesting story, Justin. Last May they had things blocked off at Sci-Fi, I believe, and Toy Story shut down 30 minutes before the show. I guess they're being a little more liberal with access. Remember when they roped off the area behind the castle during Wishes? Now the whole New Fantasyland area is open to guests (though you still can't get close to the castle).

3. Awesome story! Thanks for sharing that Justin.

~J

4. ddindy

The important question no one has asked: Assuming you're not deluged with burning debris, what are the photographic possibilities from back there? I'll be there this weekend, but plan on shooting the show across Echo Lake.

Joanie Eddis-Koch likes this.
  5. zackiedawg

Actually fairly poor...not much to see from that angle - the fireworks possibly could be captured over NY street's facades if you have a very very wide angle lens - as they go off nearly straight above you - some of the bigger fireworks go off over the circle at the end of the street, beyond that warehouse facade - those too could be captured with that building in the foreground...but again you'd need to be superwide. Overall it's just too close. I snapped two quick handheld shots there while the debris was raining down and I was hiding under the jewelry sign awning...but more just to show where I was standing...nothing usable.

Cool experience - just not much of a photographic one. Though a tripod set up to capture the street facing the circle would have actually been pretty cool in hindsight with quite a few of the burning embers and bits of debris raining down hot - some quite large...would have been cool to see the light streaks bouncing off the street!

6. ddindy

Might be worth a try with an ultra-wide (which I have) or a fisheye (which I don't). Wish I had time to try it this weekend.

7. zackiedawg

I only had my kit 18-55mm on that night - I had just arrived to Disney at 4pm, checked into my villa, then went over to Downtown Disney then DHS for the night - didn't bother bringing other lenses, tripod, or even charging extra batteries - I only figured on snapping some handheld shots as I walked around. With the 18-55mm on an APS-C I definitely couldn't fit full bursts in the frame with any street or buildings in the shot from there. With a 10mm lens, it would have fit - some bigger bursts probably still would reach outside the frame, but in general you'd catch most. One thing to keep in mind from there: you'd actually have to be aware of possible camera shake while on a tripod from the sound of the bursts. It's extremely loud from that vantage point and you can physically feel every burst, especially the big ones and noisemakers, in your chest, feet, head, hands, etc...it was rattling windows and metal awning beams audibly. I could see some of those causing fairly severe vibrations in the camera body.

8. ddindy

Good point. I still want to check it out, maybe in October.