2010 Syracuse Hydrofest

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by Scottwdw, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Back to racing action. ; These were taken on Saturday using the Nikon 70-200VR lens at 1/1000s shutter speeds. ; I used shutter priority mode all weekend.

Team Extreme (E-97) 5.0 Liter Stock hydroplane closing in on the leader whose roostertail you can see behind him.
    [​IMG]

Running side by side, Team Extreme and Big Bird (see photo above) battle for the lead which went on until a hundred yards before the finish line when Big Bird clipped a wing. ; ;D (ie., motor died)
    [​IMG]

2. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

More great shots Scott! ; Thanks for sharing.

3. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

More V-8 powered hydroplanes.

5.0 Liter Stock hydroplanes El Diablo (CE-666) and OCR Race Team (CE-99) race down the front stretch.
    [​IMG]

It's not always fun and games. ; Some hydroplanes had problems and needed to be towed back to the pits. ; While waiting for the tow, Jimmy Shane of the Long Gone watches the rest of the race.
    [​IMG]

4. HW

HW Member

like the ones with 2 boats as it really adds action to the photos

5. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

As I mentioned in my Festival of Sail thread, I am still working my way through the hydroplane racing photos. ; As they might be used by the organizations which put the event on, I have been very diligent with captions, keywords and processing. ; I had nearly 1,000 photos to go through and am still culling out the rejects.

Anyway, I did some un-constricted cropping to emphasize the roostertails some of these boats create.

The Crush 2 (GP-77) Grand Prix hydroplane.
    [​IMG]

6. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

More Jersey Skiffs.

Lining up before the start of the finals.
    [​IMG]

Close up.
    [​IMG]

Cruising.
    [​IMG]

7. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Another great bunch, Scott. ; Those last two really put us into the action.

8. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

And neither one of those are cropped. ; This was the race the turn boat I was in got stationed a bit close to the turn buoy. ; :)