2 1/2 year old first trip to WDW

Discussion in 'Disney Vacation Planning & Transportation' started by canadianman30, Dec 31, 2008.

1. canadianman30

canadianman30 Member

Before our son was born my wife and I visited WDW 3 years in a row (2004 to 2006).
    We are taking our 2 1/2 year old on his first vacation to Walt Disney World in April (1 to 8) -- staying at the Pop Century Resort.

Any tips to make his first WDW vacation special are welcome and appreciated!

Thanks
    Kevin
    from Nova Scotia

2. amw

amw Member

My youngest was 22 months (and the older was 3) on her first trip. We just took it slow - you've already visited the parks prior and done all the big rides with your wife, so I'm sure you won't feel you're missing out.

We just treasured the magic moments ... riding the trolley at opening hour to MK (rather than booting it down Main) ... sitting on a bench with a Mickey ice cream and sucking in the magic ... watching parades/shows/storytimes - anything outdoors where fussy babies don't matter ... meeting Winnie-the-Pooh ...

We just did MK and MGM that trip -- MGM for Little Mermaid and Playhouse Disney. The best tip is to arrive EARLY and leave when they've had enough. We were usually gone by 4 pm.

Bring splash clothes and there's always a spot at each park where they can run around and cool off.

The girls' favourite day that trip was spending the day at the hotel pool, then going to Chef Mickey's for dinner, followed by a monorail ride. That's all it took! ; :D One special memory is Mickey Mouse himself spoon feeding the baby ice cream at dinner ... have that one on film, but it's before the digital age!

I think any age can be magical, just don't go commando. ... Ooh... and also have lots of snacks and mini-juice boxes on hand!

3. momx5

momx5 Member

Great advice! ; It took one meltdown-by Mommy ; ::)-to realize all the things amw has said. Listen carefully to your child, and remember that this trip is all about him. The magic is still there....stronger in being with your growing family.

4. Hi Kevin (and others) - I took my youngest on her first trip when she was 17 months old. ; We had a blast. ; We stayed at a monorail hotel, so we could go early and head back for a nap/ swim easily when it got crowded and/or too hot! ; We rented strollers, and had hats, sunscreen, etc..

I've put a post on another board around here about it never being too young to go to WDW - you'll have a blast no matter what. ; Take it slow, take pictures, do a character meal, and just veg out in Fantasyland. ; You'll have a great time!

5. just a question - with the pay for 4, get 3 free special on; have you considered trying a monorail hotel rather than Pop? ; With a small one, the ease of access (and escape) is fantastic - and you'll not be able to stay there as cheaply again! ; (3 nights free at the Grand Floridian is going to be a much bigger savings than 3 nights free at the Pop...) - it all depends on your budget, of course, and whether you've become Pop fiends, but, I love the monorail hotels with small kids. ; They are fantastic - and there's nothing like even walking back to the Contemporary if the wee one gets overwhelmed - 8 minutes!

6. canadianman30

canadianman30 Member

Shelia,
    Thank you for the information. My wife and I do like the Pop Century (plus it fits our budget).
    We know with our son that we are going to spend mid days at the resort for rest (naps for him) and swims at the resort pool.
    I will post here our tenative schedule also with our meal plans. We got the dining plan even though our son was free under the dining plan.

Thanks
    Kevin
    Nova Scotia Canada

7. canadianman30

canadianman30 Member

Does anyone know if there is a Walgreens or a little store nearby in Downtown Disney (preferably within walking distance) where we could get snack items for our son (granola bars, etc.) for on the go.

Thanks
    Kevin
    Nova Scotia Canada

8. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

Just bring the snacks you want with you in your bags. Much easier than hiking around with a little one.

9. There are several Orlando grocery stores that will deliver to your resort if that's of interest to you (some order bottled water, snacks, etc.) - you may pay a little more, but the convenience is worth it for some. ; I had some links stored, but you could just google...

Otherwise, we just throw a couple of boxes of snacks in our luggage to bring with us.

One thing that has really saved us - have a fanny pack for each child (you can get really small ones). ; In their fanny pack, put either a bottle of water or a juice box, a snack, and their autograph book and pen - that way, they can get it themselves (with help, depending on age) when they are thirsty/ hungry, and feel like a big kid.

10. canadianman30

canadianman30 Member

Any comments would be appreciated.

Here is a tentative schudule of our trip:

April 1/09 - Flight arrives into Orlando 1040 am
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Magical Express to Pop Century arrive @ 1200
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Lunch at Pop Century (possible swim, relax)
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Visit Downtown Disney
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Supper at T-Rex
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; (I know T-Rex isnt on Dining plan)

April 2/09 - Magic Kingdom (EMH) ; morning
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Crystal Place - Breakfast (table)
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Pecos Bill - Lunch (counter)
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Light supper at Pop Century

April 3/09 - Animal Kingdom
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Pop Century (swim, relax)
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Epcot (late afternoon)
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Supper at Coral Reef (table)
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Illuminations ?

April 4/09 - Typhoon Lagoon (4 or so hours)
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Pop Century (swim, relax)
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Studios (late afternoon
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Supper @ 50's Prime Time Cafe (table)

April 5/09 - Epcot (EMH) ; morning
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Lunch @ Garden Grill (table)
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Supper @ Chef Mickeys (table)

April 6/09 - Animal Kingdom
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Lunch @ Rainforest Cafe (table)
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Pop Century (swim, relax)
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Open Evening

April 7/09 - Magic Kingdom (EMH) ; morning
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Lunch @ Liberty Tree Tavern (table)

April 8/09 - Travel flight at 1200

11. looks great! ;

Word to the wise, though - Chef Mickey's for supper can be a bit of a zoo. ; Don't try to hurry elsewhere, just relax and unwind after a long day. ; Kids tend to be overstimulated and tired, and tired parents are ordering alcohol - the times I'd tried it for supper, we were trying to make it back to MK for the parade. ; My DD got so wound up, we made it, but it wasn't a happy time, so we left right after the parade. ; We only go to CM for breakfast now - as long as you're not trying to go somewhere else and can relax and enjoy the atmosphere, you should be fine with your 2.5 year old.

No Fantasmic! dinner package? ; My youngest sat thru and enjoyed it - depends on your child, of course - how scared they might get, whether wait will drive you all bonkers, whether they can sit thru a short movie (show is ~25 mins) - judge, based on your wee one - but it's a great show.

12. See my comments in RED

April 1/09 ; - Flight arrives into Orlando 1040 am
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Magical Express to Pop Century arrive @ 1200 You will probably get there earlier but don't count on room being ready.
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Lunch at Pop Century (possible swim, relax) Make sure your bathing suit is in carry on if you are planning on using DME.
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Visit Downtown Disney
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Supper at T-Rex
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; (I know T-Rex isnt on Dining plan)

April 2/09 - Magic Kingdom (EMH) ; morning ; If you want to ride Dumbo, do it first. This one gets backed up fast.
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Crystal Place - Breakfast (table) Be sure to get an ADR on for this.
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Pecos Bill - Lunch (counter)
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Light supper at Pop Century

April 3/09 - Animal Kingdom Be sure to see Nemo and Lion King shows, this may keep you at AK longer but well worth it.
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Pop Century (swim, relax)
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Epcot (late afternoon)
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Supper at Coral Reef (table) Again be sure to get an ADR on for this.
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Illuminations ? Show time may be at 8 P.M.

April 4/09 - Typhoon Lagoon (4 or so hours)
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Studios (late afternoon) You will most likely not get to ride Toy Story Mania as fast passes will be gone. You may want to make a visit to the DHS in A.M. to ride this attraction.
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Supper @ 50's Prime Time Cafe (table)

April 5/09 - Epcot (EMH) ; morning This is usually only useful to ride Soarin' or Test Track (unless you plan to use parent swap and ride these alone as your son will be too small to ride.
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Lunch @ Garden Grill (table) This is no longer open for Lunch (as of Oct 6th) only dinner.
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Supper @ Chef Mickeys (table) You MUST make an ADR for this.

April 6/09 - Animal Kingdom
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Lunch @ Rainforest Cafe (table) Not part of Dining Plan, you may wish to try Tusker House (just as good as Boma IMHO)

April 7/09 - Magic Kingdom (EMH) ; morning
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Lunch @ Liberty Tree Tavern (table)

April 8/09 - Travel flight at 1200 Most likely if using DME your pickup will be at around 8 A.M.

13. amw

amw Member

I would say to be flexible with your 2nd Animal Kingdom park day. See how it goes with your little guy. You may find you want a third day at Magic Kingdom rather than a second at AK.

As for Chef Mickey's, we always try to book the first seating (5:00, earlier if it's open earlier). I've found that the restaurant is pretty quiet at that time, and you get all the character's attention immediately. After dinner, take a ride on the monorail circuit.

14. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

As posted earlier The Lion King at DAK is the best Broadway style show in the parks.

15. I am more partial to Nemo but we are all entitled to our own opinion.

16. We LOVE lion king - my hubby was selected to participate in the show two trips in a row (I think both times as the wart hog...) - it's an awesome display, and makes you think you're at a Broadway show (save most of the smaller theatres in New York couldn't handle the parade-size floats).

17. canadianman30

canadianman30 Member

Thank you all for the great replies. It really has been helpful.

Apr 2/09 - Magic Kingdom, Breakfast @ Crystal Palace, ADR ; ; ; ; ; confirmed
    ; ; ; ; ; ; - Supper @ Chef Mickeys (switched from Apr 5/09), ADR confirmed

Apr 3/09 - Epcot, Supper @ Coral Reef, ADR confirmed

Apr 4/09 - Studios, Supper @ 50's Prime Time Cafe, ADR confirmed

Yes Garden Grill is losed.

Apr 7/09 - Magic Kingdom, Lunch @ Liberty Tree Tavern, ADR confirmed

Any suggestions we have 2 Table services still too book.

Thanks
    Kevin
    Nova Scotia Canada

18. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

Le Cellier is a great place for a meal in EPCOT make an ADR
    [​IMG]

19. Did we already mention Hoop Dee Doo? ; That's 2 table services.

20. Don't know if you 2 1/2 yr old is a fan of Playhouse Disney but my suggestion would be a early breakfast or lunch at Play 'n' Dine at
    Hollywood and Vine then Toy Story. Both of my nephews loved this.

or if you are interested in an other alternative for a character meal I would Donald's Safari Breakfast @ Tusker House.

As for non character I like Le Cellier and have heard good reports from Nine Dragons after referb.