The gorilla wants to kill me. Really!

Discussion in 'Disney's Animal Kingdom Photos' started by zackiedawg, Feb 27, 2024.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

So when I first walked up, alone, on the back of the gorilla exhibit where you exit the safari trucks, I noticed two males hanging out on the hill - one older one with a younger hanger-on. Nobody else was over on this side, just me. I noticed as I was taking the photo that the older male was side-eyeing me:
    [​IMG]

He then seemed to get more annoyed with me, and came strolling over to the edge of the moat to glare menacingly at me:
    [​IMG]

Maybe he wasn't looking at me...maybe he was just checking out the surroundings?
    [​IMG]

I zoomed in...and confirmed that yes, he really is looking at ME:
    [​IMG]

Then he rose quickly onto his legs, and beat his chest - this was a very loud sound and would definitely intimidate anyone wandering through an African woods:
    [​IMG]

He didn't just stand there though - he jumped up in the air, still beating his chest loudly, and grunting as well:
    [​IMG]

This was loud enough to actually get the attention of some people getting off a safari truck, so within a few seconds, people began rushing over to see this display:
    [​IMG]

All the people arriving stopped his chest-beating, jumping threats - but he crouched like a linebacker ready to tackle me, gave me one last staredown before heading back up the hill:
    [​IMG]

Of course, safe on the other side of the moat, I could just stand my ground and be cool and tough...though some tiny part of me wondered if he could, with extreme effort and enough anger, jump that moat and end up on my side, which would of course precipitate my b**ls into shrinking, along with my presence as I fled screaming away.

Joanie Eddis-Koch likes this.
  2. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Did you consult with any cast members? Maybe it was a courting ritual. Or maybe he was just expressing his admiration for your camera. :D

3. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

They said he's getting into his 'alpha' age where he wants to prove he's the big dog in the arena - so he sometimes challenges the other gorillas - and occasionally a person if he feels they might be a threat to his dominance. I guess I look very strong and intimidating!

4. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

You should feel honored!