Pixelmania West 2023 Official Announcements

Discussion in 'PIXELMANIA!' started by ddindy, Aug 13, 2023.

1. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

This thread contains official information for our 2023 visit to the Disneyland resort to enjoy the holidays on the west coast.

The Pixelmania West - Christmas 2023 will remain active for discussion and planning. As plans are finalized, they will be posted here.

When this will happen

The dates of Pixelmania West 2023 are December 11-15. (Disneyland only sells tickets for a maximum of 5 days.) Park hopping begins at 11 am and is simplified by the fact that the entrances to Disneyland and Disney California Adventure are 300 feet apart.

Getting there

We recommend arriving early Sunday afternoon on December 10 and returning home on Saturday morning December 16.

If you fly into Orange County, there are many shared shuttle services available. We are using these two shuttle services:

The Long Beach airport has a downloadable list of approved shuttle services.

Most shuttles must be reserved at least 24 hours in advance. We recommend making your reservation 2-4 weeks in advance - the earlier the better. (Because we've been trained to book early by WDW.)

Where to stay

Disneyland has three hotels: Disneyland Hotel, Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel and Disney's Grand California Hotel & Spa. The first two are priced in the Moderate range and the GC is Deluxe. There are also many Good Neighbor hotels surrounding Disneyland, many closer to the park entrances than the Disney hotels.

The preferred hotel for 2023 is the Candy Cane Inn, 1747 South Harbor Boulevard, Anaheim, CA 82802, 800-345-7057. It is a nice, clean, two story motel with recently renovated rooms, free continental breakfast and a shuttle bus to Disneyland. It is a 15-minute walk from the park entrance, so walking is frequently faster than the shuttle. There is a discount for AAA and AARP members (enter promo code DIS when you make your reservation and present your card at check-in).

Tickets

We plan to purchase 5-day park hopper tickets with Genie+. The current Disney price is $600. Disney requires you to make park reservations when you purchase your ticket, so Thursday, August 17 is the first day you are able to purhcase a ticket and make park reservations for Dec. 11-15.

When you make your park reservations, select Disneyland for Monday (12/11), Wednesday (12/13) and Friday (12/15). Select Disney California Adventure for Tuesday (12/12) and Thursday (12/14).

Participants

The following people have confirmed that thay plan to attend:

• Dennis
    • gary
    • Joanie
    • Jeff K
    • Michael

There's room for more! And if you can't make this one, maybe we can do another one in the spring of 2025.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2023
    Joanie Eddis-Koch likes this.
  2. ddindy

Current schedule of activities

Park hours and event schedules:

Disneyland
    • Park Hours: 8:00 am - midnight
    • A Christmas Fantasy Parade: 3:30 pm and 6:30 pm
    • Believe...In Holiday Magic (projections on castle and it's a small world; fireworks on selected nights): 9:30 pm

DCA
    • Park Hours: 8:00 am - 10:00 pm
    • Mickey's Happy Holidays (music and dance party): 12:45 pm. 2:30 pm and 4:30 pm
    • World of Color - Season of Light: 9:00 pm and 10:15 pm
    Complete schedules are available on the Disneyland web site and app.

Sunrise on December 13, 2023 is 6:48 am and sunset is 4:44 pm, so we'll definitely need our tripods in the evening.

Daily schedule

Sunday, December 10

Monday, December 11
    • Start day in Disneyland.
    • Hop to Disney California Adventure some time after 11 am.
    • 1:10 pm: Lunch at Carthay Circle Lounge in DCA. (Menu)
    • After lunch, stay in DCA, return to Disneyland or hop back and forth as desired

Tuesday, December 12
    • Start day in Disney California Adventure.
    • Hop to Disneyland some time after 11 am.
    • 12:30 pm: Take the Holiday Time at the Disneyland Resort guided tour. Tour ends with reserved seating for the 6:30 A Christmas Fantasy parade.
    • After the parade, stay in Disneyland, return to DCA or hop back and forth as desired
    • Take in the evening holiday entertainment such as the castle lighting, projection show on Small World and, if available, fireworks.

Wednesday, December 13
    • Spend the rest of the day in DCA, hop back to Disneyland or hop back and forth as desired
    • 9:15 pm: World of Color dessert party (10:15 pm WoC show)
    • After WoC we can take more night photos of DCA, then go back to Disneyland it it's not too crowded.

Thursday, December 14
    • Start day in Disney California Adventure.
    • 1 pm: Drinks and lunch at Lamplight Lounge in DCA. (Menu)
    • Hop to Disneyland some time after lunch.
    • Stay in Disneyland or hop back and forth as desired.

Friday, December 15
    • Stay in DCA, return to Disneyland or hop back and forth as desired.
    • 6 pm: Farewell dinner at Jazz Kitchen Coastal Grill & Patio in Downtown Disney. (Menu)
    • After dinner, go to Candy Cane and pack or go to a park if it's not too crowded. (Who am I kidding? The park is always packed on Friday night.)

Saturday, December 16
    • Take shuttle to airport and fly home.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2023
  3. ddindy

Important dates

Park reservations are available 120 days in advance, which means they may be made right now.
    • If you pre-purchased your ticket, you can make a park reservation for Monday, December 11 starting on Sunday, August 13.
    • You can purchase your ticket from Disneyland and make all park reservations beginning Thursday, August 17.

Dining and tour reservations are available 60 days in advance,
    • Dining reservations for Trader Sam's on Sunday, December 10 can be made at 9 am EDT on October 11
    • Dining and tour reservations for the rest of the week can be made on October 12-16 at 9 am EDT each day.
    • All dining and tour reservations will be made for the entire group by the designated person. Do not make your own reservations for the events listed above.

Park hours are announced six weeks in advance.
    • Park hours for Monday, December 11 will be available on Monday, October 30

If you don't have a Disneyland account set up, don't worry, you don't need one. Simply log in to Disneyland using the same login that you use for WDW.

There is a My Disneyland app that you should to add to your phone.

If you use TouringPlans.com, I recommend purchasing a Disneyland subscription and downloading their Disneyland Lines app.

Disneyland never used MagicBands, but if you own or purchase a MagicBand+, you can use it at Disneyland.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2023
  4. ddindy

NOTE: These schedules are subject to change. Look at the Park Hours page on the Disneyland web site for the latest schedules.

Disneyland entertainment

Parades
    • A Christmas Fantasy Parade - 3:30 and 6:30 pm
    Fireworks
    • "Believe...In Holiday Magic" Fireworks Spectacular - 9:30 pm
    Shows
    • Main Street USA Holiday Tree Lighting - 5:00 pm
    • "it's a small world" Holiday Lighting - 5:15 pm
    • Storytelling at the Royal Theatre, Beauty and the Beast or Tangled - 10:45 am, 12:00 pm, 1:15 pm, 3:00 pm, 4:15 pm, 5:30 pm (Monday and Friday only)
    • Tale of the Lion King, Fantasyland Theatre - 12:15 pm, 2:15 pm, 4:15 pm, 5:45 pm (Monday, Thursday, Friday)
    • The Heartbeat of New Orleans - A Living Mural, Rivers of America - 7:55 pm, 8:55 pm and 9:50 pm
    • Wintertime Enchantment at Sleeping Beauty's Winter Castle - 7:30 pm, 8:30 pm
    Atmosphere entertainment
    • Disneyland Band (Castle promenade) - 10:00 am, 2:10 pm
    • Disneyland Band (Frontierland) - 10:50 am
    • Disneyland Band (Main Street) - 11:45 am, 12:35 pm, 3:15 pm, 4:30 pm
    • Flag Retreat Ceremony: 4:30 pm
    • Golden Horseshoe piano player - 12:30 pm, 1:30 pm, 2:30 pm, 3:30 pm, 4:40 pm, 5:30 pm, 6:30 pm
    • Main Street Piano Player - 11:55 am, 12:55 pm, 2:00 pm, 2:55 pm, 4:05 pm, 4:55 pm, 5:50 pm
    • Jambalaya Jazz (New Orleans Square) - 3:15 pm, 4:15 pm
    • Pearly Band (Castle Courtyard) - 8:30 am, 9:20 am, 10:20 am, 11:15 am (Monday, Thursday, Friday)
    • Pearly Band (small world) - 1:00 pm, 1:55 pm, 2:40 pm (Monday, Thursday, Friday)
    • Queenie and the Jambalaya Jazz Band (Rivers of America) - 8:10 pm, 9:05 pm
    • The Bootstrappers (New Orleans Square) - 8:30 am, 9:30 am, 10:30 am, 11:30 am, 12:35 am, 2:30 pm (Tuesday - Friday)
    • The Dapper Dans (Main Street) - 11:00 am, 11:45 am, 1:25 pm, 2:35 pm, 4:30 pm, 5:30 pm (Monday, Tuesday, Friday)
    • The DIckens Yuletide Band - 1:30 pm, 2:15 pm, 2:55 pm, 5:05 pm, 6:00 pm, 7:05 pm, 8:05 pm
    • Disney Holiday Dance Party - 7:00 pm to 11:00 pm
    Disney California Adventure entertainment

Parades
    • Mickey's Happy Holidays - 12:45 pm, 2:30 pm, 4:30 pm
    Fireworks & Nighttime Entertainment
    • World of Color - Season of Light - 9:00 pm, 10:15 pm
    Shows
    • Blue13 Dance Company (dance troupe celebrating Diwali, Navratri, and Lohri at the Hollywood Backlot Stage) - 4:20 pm, 5:20 pm, 6:45 pm, 7:45 pm
    • Disney Junior Dance Party! (Disney Theater, Hollywood) - 10:15 am, 11:15 am, 12:15 pm, 2:00 pm, 3:00 pm, 4:00 pm
    • Disney ¡Viva Navidad! Street Party (Paradise Gardens) - 12:10 pm, 1:10 pm, 2:10 pm, 3:45 pm, 4:45 pm, 5:45 pm
    • Holiday Concerts at the Paradise Stage - 5:30 pm, 6:45 pm
      • Tina and The Sounds of Celebration! (Monday, Tuesday)
      • Phat Cat Swinger (Wednsday, Thursday, Friday)
    • Mostly Kosher at Sonoma Terrace - 3:50 pm, 4:50 pm, 5:50 pm, 7:15 pm, 8:15 pm
    Atmosphere Entertainment
    • Citizens of Buena Vista Street - 8:00 am, to 6:00 pm
    • Five & Dime - 11:30 am, 12:30 pm, 1:30 pm, 3:00 pm, 4:00 pm, 5:00 pm
    • Buena Vista Street Holiday Tree Lighting - 4:50 pm
    • Avengers Assemble! (Avengers Campus) - 10:15 am, 11:15 am, 12:30 pm, 1:20 pm, 3:15 pm, 4:10 pm
    • Dr. Strange: Mysteries of the Mystic Arts (Avengers Campus) - 2:30 pm, 3:30 pm, 4:30 pm, 6:25 pm, 7:25 pm, 8:25 pm
    • The Amazing Spider-Man! (Avengers Campus) - 10:00 am, 10:40 am, 11:10 am, 11:40 am, 12:15 pm, 2:15 pm, 2:50 pm, 3:25 pm, 4:00 pm
    • Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Dance Off! (Avengers Campus) - 3:35 pm, 4:30 pm, 5:25 pm. 6:50 pm, 7:50 pm, 8:50 pm (Monday, Thursday, Friday)
    • Warriors of Wakanda: The Disciplines of the Dora Milaje (Avengers Campus) - 9:30 am, 10:25 am, 11:25 am, 1:00 pm, 2:00 pm, 3:00 pm,
    • Holiday Toy Drummers - 10:15 am, 11:10 am, 12:05 pm, 1:45 pm, 2:45 pm, 3:45 pm
    • Operation: Playtime! - featuring the Green Army Patrol - 11:30 am, 12:30 pm, 1:30 pm, 3:00 pm, 4:00 pm, 5:00 pm
    • Paradise Garden Bandstand - 11:30 am, 12:30 pm, 1:30 pm, 3:00 pm, 4:00 pm, 5:00 pm
      • The Wayu Band (Monday, Tuesday)
      • Mariachi Divas (Wednesday, Thursday, Friday)
    • The Mistletoes at Pacific Wharf Stage - 11:30 am, 12:25 pm, 1:20 pm, 3:05 pm, 4:05 pm, 5:10 pm
    • Street Lighting (Radiator Springs) - daily at sunset

Last edited: Nov 27, 2023
  5. ddindy

Lightning Lane attractions

Disneyland
    • Autopia
    • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    • Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
    • Haunted Mansion
    • Indiana Jones Adventure
    • “it’s a small world”
    • Matterhorn Bobsleds
    • Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway
    • Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run
    • Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin
    • Star Tours — The Adventures Continue
    • Space Mountain
    DCA
    • Goofy’s Sky School
    • Grizzly River Run
    • Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT!
    • Incredicoaster
    • Monsters, Inc. Mike & Sulley to the Rescue!
    • Soarin’ Around the World
    • Toy Story Midway Mania!
    • WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure

Individual Lightning Lanes - $$$
    • Disneyland — Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance
    • Disney California Adventure — Radiator Springs Racers

Single rider lines

Disneyland
    • Matterhorn Bobsleds
    • Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run
    • Space Mountain (may or may not offer single rider)

DCA
    • Radiator Springs Racers
    • Incredicoaster
    • Goofy's Sky School
    • Grizzly River Run
    • WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure
    • Soarin' Over the World

Note that many attractions at the Disneyland resort were not designed with single riders in mind. For example, the single rider entrance for Incredicoaster is at the rider exit. Smuggler's Run, Radiator Springs Racers and Web Slingers have dedicated single rider queues similar to attractions at WDW.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2023
  6. ddindy

Disneyland refurbishments

As of November 17, these attractions are scheduled to be closed for refurbishment during our visit:
    • Mark Twain Riverboat
    • Astro Orbitor
    Check back frequently in case this list changes.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2023
    Nancy AK and Joanie Eddis-Koch like this.
  7. ddindy

The first Pixelmania West was a rousing success. We're tentatively looking at March 2025 for the next one. Watch for further announcements in the forums.

Nancy AK and Joanie Eddis-Koch like this.
  8. gary

gary Member

and i think we should start a pixelmania west photo thread, many pixels were sacrificed to the photo gods this week, and i ever catch up on my sleep today i may actually start on processing. flight left on time, arrived jfk a little early at 9:30, bags were not as quick as sna, jfk never is, but when i arrived on the air train stop at terminal 8, it was 4 minutes to the next train to jamaica, arrive at jamaica, and got to the information screen showing 5 minutes to the next ronkonkoma train, no traffic driving home and was crawling into my own bed at 12:40 am

Nancy AK likes this.
  9. I'm finally leaving. As usual I'm the last one out so I turned off the lights when I left Anaheim.

I'm at the airport now, on the plane waiting for them to tell me to turn off the phone. My husband thinks that I'll make it all the way to Philly before the storms start.

Peace out. ❤️

Nancy AK likes this.
  10. ddindy

I'm all for a PW2023 thread for pictures of us, but for attractions, shows, etc. I prefer using existing (or new, if necessary) attraction-specific threads in the Disneyland Resort (California) thread. What does everyone else think? (And everyone means all TMIPers.)

11. I landed in Denver to chime in that I think a specific thread for Pixel mania West photos would be better

12. gary

gary Member

i forgot to check, didn't realize we had that many threads, i never had anything to post before this

13. ddindy

The reason I prefer the attraction-specific theads is that it makes it easier to find "that great photo of [insert name of attraction or character here] that I remember seeing but can't find in the [insert name of same attraction or character here] thread."

14. gary

gary Member

ok so let's use the already existing threads, one thing is just realized, i am downloading monday as i type this, next time i need to remember to photo the ride entrance each and every time before entering, so i am not stuck trying to figure out where one dark fantasy ride ends and another begins

15. ddindy

Good tip. I might be sble to help if you can send a date and time.