When to use a Macro lens at WDW & Lens Hood

Discussion in 'Photography 101' started by JEHI7278, Mar 21, 2010.

1. JEHI7278

JEHI7278 Member

Hello all. It's been some time since my last post, so it's great to be back. I am thinking of purchasing a Macro lens for my Canon Rebel XSi as well as a lens hood. Here is my 2-part question:
    1) Where in WDW is the most conducive to using a Macro lens (getting that tough shot or best scenario)?
    2) Is it advantageous to use a lens hood during the day?
    Thanks all!

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Welcome back.

I'd use Macro for flowers. ; I can't think of anything else really that you can get that close to that would have a texture conducive to macro photography at the parks.

Lens hoods: ; Yes. ; They help reduce lens flares from the sun just outside of the frame. ; I really do think it's more important in the age of digital.

3. mSummers

mSummers Member

The only thing I can think of using a macro for at WDW is flowers. ;

I use my lens hoods all the time. ; in addition to what Roger said about lens flares, they give you a little extra protection against scratches on the front element or filter.

4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

1. ; flowers, insects, etc.
    2. ; YES YES YES

5. JEHI7278

JEHI7278 Member

Thanks guys!
    What about a wide-angle lens?

6. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I think there are quite of few of us that enjoy using a wide angle lens at the park(s). ; When? ; Whenever you think you want to use it. ; Useful for exterior shots, interior shots, etc.

7. mSummers

mSummers Member

I use my wide angle lenses more often than my telephoto lens in the parks. ; Most of my fireworks shots and exterior shots are wide angle.

8. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I have never been a fan of the lens hood, as I have found it to have caused shadows on my shots from time to time, and I have never had any lens flares that have been noticeable to me. ; If I had to choose between a wide angle and a macro, I would definitely go WIDE, because wider is better, in my opinion. ;)

9. Ryan

Ryan Member

My feeling is that there are so many more opportunities for using a wide or fast lens than a macro. I think you would ultimately be happier with something like that in the long run. Everyone has his or her preference for lenses and the important things to remember are 1.) Less is better and 2.) Just Shoot!

10. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

put me down for the same!