What software do you use?

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by Sonny Eclipse (Colin C), Nov 25, 2010.

1. I currently have an older version of Elements and am looking to take the next step.

Can everyone let me know what software you use for post processing? I'm looking for a recommendation.

2. fotodave

fotodave Member

We use Photoshop CS1 at work (ugh) and i just started using CS4.

3. bmitch

bmitch Member

I'm a solid Lightroom guy.

4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Photoshop CS5

5. RocketTom

RocketTom Member

Lightroom 3.x first, Photoshop CS5 if needed.

6. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

PSP mafia - made man using version 8. ; Also use Topaz plug in suite, Helicon plug in, and Sony IDC RAW converter. ; I have Elements too - but much prefer the interface, tools, and results from PSP (Paint Shop Pro).

7. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I use GIMP - almost as powerful as Photoshop and it's FREE!

8. gary

gary Member

lightroom 3, photoshop cs4, nik suite. i am considering purchasing topaz adjust, i like the look of a lot of the photos taken out almost too far with that.

9. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Aperture 3 and if need be CS5.

10. Paul

Paul Member

Adobe Lightroom 3 with Topaz Adjust plug-in and Photomatix HDR 4 plug-in, Photoshop Elements +

11. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I use Aperture 3 with plug-ins for Photomatix, Noise Ninja and BorderFX. ; If you have a PC, you should get Lightroom 3 as I think photo management software is the way to go with the amount of images we work with in digital photography. ; Plug-ins (which you would buy for Photoshop as well) make these programs a great choice, IMO.

12. mSummers

mSummers Member

I use Capture NX2 to process the RAW files and then bring it in to CS4 to remove noise, crop, run any filters and sharpen.

13. Thanks for the advice everyone. I downloaded Lightroom 3 for a 30 day trial. I just have to figure out what I'm doing but I'm having fun playing with it so far.

14. RocketTom

RocketTom Member

15. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

CS5 & LR2

Is LR3 better than 2? ; I don't use version 2 very much even though I have it.

16. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

CS5 with Topaz adjust, Topaz DeNoise and Topaz ReMask(I still havn't learned how to use the new Refine Edge tool very well yet in CS5.

I also use LR3 which is where most of the stuff gets done.

17. RocketTom

RocketTom Member

At first, I didn't think there was much difference at all - especially for some of the upgrade headaches (catalog recreation, etc). But now, after using it a while, I had the chance to use v2 on someone elses computer and realized that it was an excellent upgrade. Lots of stuff in the background. I think it's worth it.

18. Paul

Paul Member

I think LR3 is worth the upgrade. ; The noise reduction alone is worth the upgrade. ; I also like the Lens correction options which allows you to correct for your specific lens. ; There are many other additions like a more flexible watermarking feature, improved post-crop vignetting, adding grain if you like, better tethering features, online sharing to Flickr, Facebook and SmugMug

It also is capable of handling video, but I have not used this so I don;t know its capabilities.

19. Chris B

Chris B Member

Lightroom 3 with Photoshop CS5. ; I use both the Nik and Topaz plugins. ; Different uses for different occasions.

For me LR 3 was a great upgrade over LR 2. ; The addition of Lens profiles and advanced metadata handling are great additions. ; I am managing about 70,000 images in LR 3 and the performance is still very good.

Nik plugins are great for very granular control over images. ; Topaz is wonderful for their built in adjustments that allow for quick adjustments. ; I use Photoshop for the finishing touches.

Each of these tools have demo versions. ; I would recommend giving them a try and see for yourself on your photos. ;

20. ELinder

ELinder Member

I'm using Aperture 3 and Photoshop CS3. I'm currently debating whether to get the Topaz bundle or to upgrade to CS5.

Erich