WDW confirms RFID for APs

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by Roger, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Word is out that in an about a week all new APs will be RFID enabled. Existing pass holders have until May 19 to upgrade or face long lines at one working entrance for non-RFID passes. While their announcement didn't say you could change over after May 19 I'm sure you will be able to. At Guest Relations.

2. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Don't have to worry about that then... My AP expires just before PM2K13 and I am not sure if I am renewing AP right away or wait until I go back to reset the renewal date.

The only issues are going to be if the batteries will last long enough and that they will be easier to lose since I can't just keep it in my wallet (unless I add it to my Owner's Locker).

Sent from my iPhone...

3. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

So if I understand this right, I will probably want to change my AP to the new RFID the day I arrive in July. ; If I choose not to I will have only 1 turnstile to use to enter the park. ;

Maybe by then there will be so few non RFID's that it would be faster anyway.

4. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I'll need to find out about the exchange idea, as my APs are good through Sep, but I'll probably be there in June. ; I'll check then.

I agree about the non-walletable issue - I never even think about my annual pass because it's always in my wallet - this will throw a little twist into things, having to remember to bring that wrist thing! ; Maybe I'll keep it in my car glovebox - that way it will guarantee that it will always make it to Disney even if I'm not thinking about it when I pack - worst-case scenario is I forget about it, and just have to head back to the resort and pull it out of the glovebox.

I still need to book for June, and December - have to wait on June as my family is out of town and I don't know which dates they want to go...and December I couldn't book because my home resort is already all filled up - I need to wait for the window to open for the other DVCs. ; I am happy that I was able to book a September trip though - my usual solo trip for Halloween decor (or with a friend sometimes)...my first time staying in BLT.

5. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I'll let you know the details, as I have renewed my AP but have to stop at will call in April to pick it up. ; I will be getting a card, not a wristband, that's for sure.

6. Roger

So I are the new cards are out today. And the major Disney outlets are still downplaying the new age restrictions.

I think they don't want to admit that Bob Igers letter to Congress about how Disney isn't going to market to children didn't mesh with reality so they found the loophole to close. By preventing unaccompanied minors under 14 Disney will be in compliance with federal law.

Now I can't wait to hear about the complaints about the age on the prices since 9 is an adult for ticket pricing.......

7. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Do you have a disney link to the announcement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Roger

LOL, I can't find it. ; But since all most all of the blogs had the info, it must have come from some source. ; I don't have an AP so I wonder if it was posted on the AP site.

9. mSummers

mSummers Member

I can't find a Disney link to the announcement, but I think I remember seeing it all over the place. ; Here's the post about it on WDW Info: ; http://www.wdwinfo.com/news/General_Disney_News/Disney_to_enforce_age_restrictions_for_unaccompanied_minors.htm

I doubt it is on the AP site since it applies to all passes, not just AP's.

Roger, I bet you're right about the age complaints... if the Florida Resident AP pricing is any indication, i bet the child ticket prices go up when the complaints cause them to change the age on the child tickets.

10. mSummers

mSummers Member

It also appears that there is a plastic card version of the RFID AP. ; I saw one a couple of days ago on Twitter, but I can't remember who posted it.

11. Roger

ITM has a good post about it. Plastic cards for now, MagicBands if you want them later AND the new plastic card APs can not be used to pay. Only the MagicBands (think ExxonMobil Speedpass- you will have to attach a credit card to the band account)

Another ? When was the last time Odyssey was open? ; I see they put some historical relics in there to look at while inside like Figment and Tom Morrow 2.0

12. mSummers

mSummers Member

The funniest comment I've seen about Odyssey being open was that someone said that its a good thing they're using it for AP's since they're the only people who probably know where it is... ;

Anyway,, I'm just happy that there is a card option... I hate wearing a wristwatch, so I don't think that band would have been much better.

13. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

LOL! At first I was thinking in the Wonders of life. it took me a minute to remember the Odyssey!

14. zackiedawg

One disappointing thing about doing the AP exchange in the Odyssey...EPCOT's absolutely BEST restroom will get more use - it's been a wonderful well-kept secret for many years, but this will probably mean more people using it during this time.

While there are restrooms on the outside of the Odyssey - on both sides - there are also restrooms inside the entrance coming from Test Track - the door is always unlocked even though noone knows and noone goes in. ; There's a lovely water fountain in the hallway inside, and the restroom inside is often completely empty. ; So especially if you need to do any...ah...longer business - it's the best spot in the park because you can do so in peace, without a million people passing through, kids yelling, music blaring, etc. ; And the AC is always effective since it's an interior door entrance, you don't get as much summer heat bleeding through the open portal like you do on the outside access restrooms!

Anyway, I'll be exchanging my AP in June for the RF one...the hard part is the planning - I'll have to move EPCOT earlier in my trip than I normally do to get the new card, so I can avoid the lines when I get to MK and the other parks. ; Usually, EPCOT is one of my last two days.

15. ddindy

I picked up my new RFID AP last Friday. ; Since it was an on-line renewal, I had to stop at a ticket booth to get it. ; They had a limited selection of cards at the booth, so I could have a card with any character I wanted as long as it was Goofy. :)

The card is the same type of plastic card as is used for "hard ticket" events and room keys. ; Unlike the paper tickets, the RFID cards do not come with your name printed on them. ; You have to write it on with a pen or Sharpie.

I had no problems using the card - you just hold it to the reader until the light on the reader flashes, then you put your finger on the biometric scanner. ; Everything flashes green and you're good to go.

The only problem I saw was that, in the afternoon, there were only two gates open, one for paper tickets (on the left) and one for RFID (on the right). ; (There are four turnstyles or RFID readers per gate.) ; They weren't clearly marked as to which was which. ; In some cases CMs were stationed in front directing people to the proper gates, and there were CMs with scanners to handle paper tickets at the RFID gates.

I rode Test Track via the standby queue and was told to use my AP to record my car. ; Unfortunately, the design station I was assigned to was locked up, so I STILL haven't gotten to do the full experience. ; That ride still has problems.

I also had an RFID room key at Pop Century. ; It worked great as well. ; When I did my on-line check-in, I entered a PIN number for the times I used my key for charging. ; I was under the impression that the PIN would only be required for large purchases, but I had to enter it for all purchases. ; That "tap to pay" system worked perfectly, too, but the keypads are kind of small and there is no shield around it to keep others from watching you enter your PIN.

I only got one Fastpass during the weekend; fortunately, that process has not changed. ; The RFID pass also has a magnetic strip on the back for this purpose.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope it's helpful.

16. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks for the update. ; Glad to hear it worked well. ; Also happy to hear that FP hasn't changed for AP's yet. ; I read something that indicated that once you switched you would loose the ability to get regular FP and would be switched to FP+

17. zackiedawg

I've experienced the room keys with the touch entry, and also discovered as you did that the pin seems to be needed everywhere - surprised me the first few times I went to charge a drink.

One thing that confused me - you mentioned that the entry still required you to hold the card up to a reader, then put your finger on a scanner. ; I was under the impression from when I visited in February that those with the RFID would not go through that process. ; In February, there were great gobs of people entering MK to the right train station entry that did not need to go through any turnstyles, and just walked past two big silver tesla-coil looking devices. ; I started that direction and they asked if I had an RFID, and I said no, I had an annual pass, so they routed me over to the 'old style' biometric reader where you shove the card through the slot. ; It sounds like the RFID AP isn't saving very much time if you still have to stop to do the finger scan. ; ??

18. ddindy

Michael, apparently FP+ won't be available until this summer. ; I saw no signs of it yet.

Justin, I was also surprised that the finger scanners were still in use. ; I guess it's still the only way to guarantee that you're not trying to use someone else's ticket. ; With luck, they're an improved and more reliable version. ; The only possible time saving is putting your finger on the scanner while your card is being read, so it's ready to be scanned when your card is accepted.

To be honest, I would have put the RFID scanners side by side, like the turnstyles, rather than having four grouped together. ; It was probably done that way to make the wiring easier and potentially allow one CM to handle four RFID readers. ; But with only two lines per entry gate, the lines are going to be longer, regardless of how fast they move.

It's all still shiny and new. ; We'll see how long the stuff works.

19. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

I heard a number of people were just walking through the new entry figuring that the ticket in their pocket would catch the signal.

Sent from my iPhone...

20. zackiedawg

That had been my impression of it when I was there in February...I had to go through the turnstyles, but great gobs of people were walking in through the tesla coils, which were spaced maybe 15 feet apart.

Maybe they tested it that way and it didn't work as expected, so they're back to the finger scanners?