Tusker House, an informal review (my new favorite restaurant)

Discussion in 'Disney's Animal Kingdom Photos' started by Craig, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

My new favorite restaurant anywhere at Disney World is the buffet at The Tusker House in Animal Kingdom. Everything we ate was perfect. It is a very large buffet.
    The buffet is located in the main room of the restaurant where the counters used to be. All the food wraps around the entire room at individual stations. At the center of the room is an enormous table of desserts. There is also a table just for kids with all the easy kid food. But, there is also a table with regular cold cuts and other easy American fare for the unadventurous. We ate more than we have in a long time at a Disney restaurant, and the food was better than our last trip to Jiko. This summer, I plan on going back at least twice during our long trip.
    And to top it all off, they serve many South African Wines and beer! With my meal, I enjoyed my favorite Tusker Beer!
    Not only is the food delicious, it is very high quality.
    Also, it was very easy to be seated without priority seating.
    Here is a rough listing of the food we had. This is not a complete list, but more a list of what we ate: (also, note that all the items were more flavorful, than I am able to express in writing)

The Bread Table:
    Cornbread
    Some kind of white bread that tasted more like very moist cake than bread (this was my favorite)
    Chocolate and coffee bread

The Condiment Table:
    Tabbouleh
    Hummus
    Two kinds of dried African Fruit medleys

Salad:
    Cucumber and tomato salad with a yogurt and mint dressing
    Cold Cous Cous with vegetables
    There was also a few more to pick from, but these were what we tried

Rice and Pasta:
    Hot cous cous with vegetables
    Israeli cous cous
    Again, there were more items that we didn’t try

Vegetables:
    Squash
    Cabbage with root vegetables
    And a few more to choose from

Meats:
    Smoked ham
    Carved Sirloin with Coffee and African Spiced Rub
    Smoked Pork roast
    Curry Chicken
    Dessert:
    Bread Pudding
    And lots of other choices, but we ate too much try any dessert!

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Wow...that's great news! I always liked Tusker house for the great chicken sandwiches, and the ability to haul the food out by the bar on the fort walls and have a drink too. I was worried when the 'buffet' was announced, that it was going to be all kids and kid food - or just bland typical buffet food. But this certainly makes it sound much more interesting!

I guess I'll have to try it when I'm there in a few weeks.

Thanks for the heads up!

3. jcvalenti

jcvalenti Member

This place used to be one of my "best kept secrets" in the parks. It had a phenomenal "quick breakfast", and was almost empty in the morning. The perfect AK day starts out with a mad dash to Kilimanjaro, then our group would duck inside Tusker House for breakfast while our "runner" took 14 park tickets and sprinted over to Kali River Rapids for fast passes. By the time we finished breakfast, we could take a leisurely stroll through the jungle walk, get to Kali, ride it with FP and then wait in the the small "but growing" line to ride it again. So much for that tradition !

We do have reservations though for Tusker House for the Donald Safari Breakfast during our upcoming trip, so it's still in the plans !