tri colored heron

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by Howie Williams, Sep 1, 2016.

1. during a rain storm today DSC_0930.jpg

2. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Saw that on FB today, another great shot. All the ones from FB were great. It shows that even in bad weather, there are still shots to be had.

3. some of my fav shots are in rain or fog
    the one of an egret in fog is one of my all time favs. almost got published in nat geo

jbwolffiv likes this.
  4. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Very cool shot. Indeed no reason to stop shooting because of rain - as you mention, sometimes they're more fun than the dry shots. Birds in particular can look quite miserable when they're wet, so it's fun sometimes to catch their sour expressions and matted feathers...and the slashing rain drop streaks and splashes of droplets can add a little dynamism to the shot.

Because I'm in Florida where it rains any given minute without any warning through the summer, I'm often caught out in the rain when I'm in the wetlands, but I still keep shooting...here are some wet birds:

Anhinga fishing in the rain:
    [​IMG]

Cormorant standing against the wind and rain:
    [​IMG]

Grackle flying off in the rain:
    [​IMG]

Another tricolor heron in the rain:
    [​IMG]

Wet fish crow in the rain:
    [​IMG]

Howie Williams likes this.
  6. love the crow and tri color.

7. egret spin drying

Attached Files:

8. a peregrine on the same day

Attached Files:

9. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Great catch on the spin-dry egret - a good example of a shot 'ruined' by motion blur that I think is actually enhanced by it!

10. thanks. used a slow shutter speed to get the blur. blur on purpose. not something I would normally do as I like sharp photos but sometimes its fun to step outside the box and try something different

11. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Great stuff Howie! I know from riding along with you how sharp is VERY important to you, so slowing the shutter was going against the grain for you.

Thanks again for sharing your shots here!

12. mSummers

mSummers Member

Great shots Howie!