Tim's favorite airline is at it again.

Discussion in 'Misc. Posting Board' started by Scottwdw, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

2. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

like I have said to others before... just raise ticket prices and dont tell us why and I am fine. ; But say you are charging me extra for luggage and I am going to fight it. ; Next fee hike will be $15 for a sober pilot, and $50 for on time departure...

3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Don't give them any ideas!

It's already bad enough that comparing prices is like trying to compare camera specs without being shown the specs.

Southwest round trip: $300 plus airport taxes, let's say $350.

American Airlines: $100 round trip plus taxes and fees*

Once you finally get to the checkout screen:

Total price: $407

Did the Brooklyn camera companies fire a bunch of their employees and get hired by the airlines?

4. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

5. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

You gotta love Spirit! ; I can't believe that they are charging for you to carry on a bag. ; What next? ; I will never fly them again! ; Here's hoping they go out of business after this announcement. ; I'm just sorry for all the employees that would loose their jobs if Spirit went under.

6. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I heard Spirit is reducing their fares to compensate for this new carry on charge. ; I guess if you can fly without luggage and carry-ons, it's a deal....NOT! ; :p

7. PolynesianMedic

I don't get the nickel and diming that Spirit is continuing to do. ; I think that they really pushed too far this time, and I HOPE that people stop flying them.

8. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

Just to throw out an option for baggage. ; This time down we UPS'd, is that a word, all of our baggage that we normally would have checked. ; Turned out cheaper and a whole lot easier. ; Only had carry on bags to worry about and no waiting at baggage claim.

9. Roger

Thought about that for our DL trip. ; Unfortunately I still need one car seat, and it's cheaper to bring our own than to rent one from the rental car company. ; I can't have it shipped to the airport to arrive when we do. ; I think it's going to be a "carry on" however....they can gate check it.

10. Roger

This thread makes me think what they will do to attract business!

$9 New York to Orlando, one way!*

* plus applicable fees and taxes

Fees include:

$20 ticketing fee
    $75 estimated total kilo fee ($0.50 per kilo per passenger and baggage combined weight)
    $50 checked luggage fee per bag in addition to weight fee
    $40 carry on luggage fee per bag in addition to weight fee
    $20 boarding fee per segment
    $5 restroom access fee
    $20 deplaning fee per segment
    $15 luggage loading fee
    $20 luggage security fee
    $25 security screening fee
    $20 gate reservation fee
    $15 in-flight flight attendant access fee
    plus all federal,state,local and international taxes

Our boarding and deplaning fees are waived for members of the Platinum Elite Frequent Fliers. ; Platinum Elite also get one free carryon bag allowance per month. ; We also require that all passengers must deplane at the end of each segment and reboard the plane after a mandatory waiting period.

11. PolynesianMedic

Roger is that from the Spirit site or did you take some liberties? ; If it is the prior rather then the later, That is disgusting!

12. ELinder

ELinder Member

It's not just Spirit doing this garbage, it's a lot of businesses. I just booked a room at the Luxor in Vegas. The room was on sale for $38 per night. Until checkout, that is. Add sales tax, a room tax, a "resort charge" and other stuff, and it turned out to be almost double that $38 per night. It seems no matter where you go, "the price" isn't the price any more. They must think we're all so stupid we won't notice.

Erich

13. Roger

I took some liberties; but it's becoming more of a reality, like what Erich said.

14. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

tongue planted firmly in cheek methinks.

the 'carry-on bag' fee is absolutely absurd. ; as is their rather cheeky justification, "bring less, pay less. ; simple as that." ;
    people are up in arms about this and it nearly applied to me as we fly home in the middle of when the new fee kicks in (fly down before, fly back afterward). ; i called the 800 number, got someone that i couldn't understand, and was told that since the fee kicks in on 8/1, i would have to pay the fee. ; i used my powers of "polite but very persistent" (grumpwurst has seen this in action) and they agreed that since i purchased the ticket prior to the fee being enacted, that i would not have to pay it for the return flight home, which coincidentally happens to be my LAST flight on Spirit, EVER.[nb] even if someone bought the ticket me for. ; period. ; hope i wasn't unclear. [/nb]

15. Tim

i don't want this thread to get hijacked but the wdw swan and dolphin are doing this as well. ; they used to waive the $10 resort fee if you were nice about it (you didn't get your newspaper or coffee, but i could survive) and you used to get free internet and parking for staying there. ; now you have to pay $14 a day for internet and $10 a day for parking, plus they don't waive the fee anymore. ; i really enjoy the swolfin but it's getting very expensive, even with the good room discounts they offer depending on your profession.

16. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

You can gate check the car seat for free. ; We had two strollers and a car seat which we gate checked for free.

17. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Wonder how long it will before Gate Checking has a nominal fee?

18. Tim

pay toilets.
    google aer lingus.

19. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

Probably not long. ; I wonder if it won't be too long before people stop flying and start driving again. ; I know if it gets much more expensive we would probably take the time to drive. ; Would lose a couple of days for travel but same a lot of money. ; We were always willing to pay a little extra to fly since we could leave home and be in the parks within 6-7 hours instead of driving 20 hours. ; At some point everyone is going to have their breaking point where it will cost so much more to fly that everyone will start looking for alternate modes of transportation. ;

20. Roger

I hope so. ; Jet Blue only allows 1 checked bag free per ticket. ;

Granted 1>0, which is a good thing.