The Boardwalk (and first post)

Discussion in 'WDW Resorts / Downtown / Rest of WDW' started by Jwbaker13, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Jwbaker13

Jwbaker13 Member

Hello, ;

I found this site while getting ready for our next trip (in March) to DW. ;

Here's an HDR shot of the Boardwalk from last year. ; It was taken later in the afternoon and a storm was rolling in. ;

[​IMG]

I love that place; we've stayed there on each of our previous trips. ; However this year we've decided to do something different and are staying at the AK Lodges. ; I'm hoping that the Savannah view will make up for losing the convenience of the Boardwalk area.

2. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Wow! ; And you will like AKL. ; Savannah view is great. ; Only bus ride lengths are downside. ; But I still call it home (dvc).

brought to you by an (HTC) "Incredible" Guy.

3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

welcome aboard!

4. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Welcome!!! ; Stunning shot! ; And I agree with Red, you will love AKL, the savannah is very calming and fun at the same time!

5. HW

HW Member

very nice shot

6. goofmick

goofmick Member

Nice shot, welcome aboard.

7. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Welcome! ; You certainly know how to make an entrance.

8. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Welcome!

9. gary

gary Member

well, nice entry, i'm a tried and true beach club/boardwalk man myself. but that's only because i seem to spend most of my trips in epcot. welcome aboard

10. Jwbaker13

Jwbaker13 Member

Thanks for the welcome and compliments guys. ;

11. MJHurley

MJHurley Member

Great shot and welcome.

12. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I'm sure you'll enjoy Savannah view too. ; I'm a Boardwalker myself, as my home DVC resort i stay there often, and being a big Epcot fan too...but I always enjoy staying at other resorts too just to change the scenery. ; AK's theming is so cool that it really puts you in the head of being away from Disney and in some exotic African lodge far away.

Lovely shot of Boardwalk - love the time of day of the shot and the sunset colors playing off the storm.

13. Evad

Evad Member

Welcome and great pic!!!! ;

14. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

That is a fantastic shot! ; Nice work and welcome.

15. Chris B

Chris B Member

Great use of HDR! ; That should be on a poster.

16. mSummers

mSummers Member

Welcome aboard! ; Nice shot! ; The sky in that shot is awesome!

17. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Yes, Beautiful HDR & Composition

18. dishippy

dishippy Member

Wonderful capture! Love that you got the friendship boat, the boardwalk, and the sunset all in one beautifully processed HDR! Great work!

19. Carl

Carl Member

Beautiful picture. I'm new here. What is HDR?
    Oh, gad! Do we have to type in those verification letters every time we post here?

20. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Hey Carl - welcome. ; You shouldn't have to do verification letters with every post...maybe because you're new?

HDR stands for "High Dynamic Range", which ironically is actually nearly the opposite (in that you are compressing the dynamic range). ; It's typically the process of taking 2 or more photos at different exposures - exposing for highlights and shadows separately, or for many levels of shadow and exposure depending on how many shots you take - then stacking those shots together, to pull up the shadow exposures and pull down the highlights so a much wider visual dynamic range can be represented in the photo. ; Sometimes the end result is also 'tone mapped' to alter how much of the highlights or shadows are pushed or pulled in different areas of the photo, to restore contrast, or to push the represented dynamic range far beyond any reality to the human eye - the sky's the limit. ; HDR can range from a completely natural looking scene that simply bumped up shadow detail a touch, to sci-fi comic book fantasy art that isn't even close to any reality - it's all up to the photographer/processor to decide what he wants to show.