Starting out and need some help

Discussion in 'Photography 101' started by Scubamickey, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Scubamickey

Scubamickey Member

Hello all,

Over New Years was the first time in the park with the D90 50mm and 18-200mm lens. Had fun with it, still trying to figer out what ever thing is and what it does and how it all works. lol I've read on here about some of the tripods and mono pods. I'm still wondering what you guys think is the best out there right now for in the parks. I see using the tripod for group photos I'm in and fireworks. The mono pod I hope is small enough to carry with me all day to help stabilize some of the photos( I can see it would help me, the camera and lens are heavy for me at the moment)

I'm looking for a few items what all would you suggest? And why you like an item or don't like an item
    Tripod
    Monopod
    Table tripod
    Remote Shutter
    A side hand grip to help my hand with the wait of a D90 and 18-200mm lens

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. gary

gary Member

here's my viewpoint
    tripod, absolute necessity, esp for those large wall prints of something special in the parks, and for any kind of night/fireworks shots, a good lightweight will do, one that folds reasonably small, the velbon luxif models we are always talking about are a good starting point
    monopod, waste of space in theme parks, just my opinion mind you, i don't care how good you are, you cannot stay steady enough on a monopod to get the same results as a tripod, and just extending the legs on a tripod without spreading them apart achieves the same support as a monopod for those occasional available space situations
    table tripod, not bad, but not all tables and trash cans will give the same view as a tripod, and more prone to being blocked by people
    remote shutter, aka cable release, absolutely, use mine all the time esp at night for long exposure shots, just to keep the vibration from pushing down on the shutter trigger out of the photo
    the side hand grip i can't speak to as i have never had one

3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

4. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Essential for nighttime and fireworks.

I kind of agree with Gary, BUT I think a monopod is easier to use than a 3 legged tripod as a monopod. The ONLY time I've used a monopod at the parks in the last 6 years was for Fantasmic! at DL, and that's because there is basically no sitting down area, so it's either on your butt or standing up, and with the exception of catching the mystic 3rd showing at 1130 pm, there is no room for a tripod, so it's monopod or holding your camera up while standing for hours. I could see a use for shows where you have to stand for a long period of time. (But not parades other than the Electrical Parade)

[​IMG]

The other reason is when you're going to be shooting in the parks all day, and you're shooting the electrical parade and you have to use a 2.8L zoom.

I don't like them.

Absolute essential unless you have a Canon, since Canon puts the mirror lockup in the menu, buried, so you can use self-timer and MLU. Nikon has mirror lockup as a shooting mode, so you can't self timer and MLU at the same time.

I used to use a side strap with one of my old film cameras. I don't use it anymore. With the Edsel I didn't even use a neck strap. But I'm using one now.

5. mSummers

mSummers Member

Tripod and Cable Release: Absolutely necessary for any nighttime shots.

Monopod: I don't have one, but I'm thinking about getting one for shooting wildlife and sports. The 70-200 VR on the D700 with battery pack can get heavy after a whole day of shooting.

Table Tripod: I used to have one in the bag for when I didn't bring my tripod just in case I needed it, but I never used it and have stopped carrying it.

Hand Strap: Never used one. I'm right handed and wouldn't like having my hand strapped to the camera all the time. I assume you're asking because you don't like a regular camera strap. If that's the case, take a look at the R Strap by Black Rapid. I like the concept, but don't like the way they mount it to the camera, so I'm working on making my own.

6. Paul

Paul Member

Don't have much experience with a tripod yet, but I just got one for Christmas and I have used it some and I am loving it. I can't wait to bring it to the parks and of course on some other landscape shots around home.

I tagged along (for hours!) with Tim and Gary during Mousefest and believe me, you will absolutely get a lot of use out of your tripod and Cable release. They took some great night shots all over the parks, including the Osborne lights and fireworks to name a few.

First thing I bought after I got my tripod was the cable release. Makes a a great deal of sense when you want the steadiest shot possible. I have been using it with the mirror lock up option with my Canon 40D.

I plan to get a wrist strap after seeing Tim use one. I tend to carry my camera out holding it with one hand and hate to hang it around my neck, but the strap that comes with the camera is awkward for hand holding. A wrist strapp would provide a better safety net if you are hand carrying your camera around the parks.

7. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i also despise a neck strap and the little wrist strap that i have gives just enough security in the event someone carelessly bumps into me. fumbles are not good with this stuff.

8. Scubamickey

Scubamickey Member

Thank you everyone for the great advice. I will plan on getting a tripod and cable release. Do you guys have trouble setting up your tripods in the park with other guest? Are there any do this not that ideas you can offer?

MSummers, I like the look of that wrist strap, but agree how it attaches to the camera could be better. I'm looking for one, because I tend to carry the camera out or in the back pack. I was afraid someone would bump into me and I would drop it.

Roger, I can see how the mono pod would be helpful for Fantasmic or other shows like it, where your standing a lot after a day of shooting. Need the hand relief. :) I can see where owning it could be a good thing and take it when you think you might use it. So it too is on my list after the tripod.

What are your guys thoughts on spare batteries? I'm not sure of the name, but its a housing that fits your camera but you can put like two AA battiers in them. Are they any good?

9. Roger

The only problems I've had with tripods are guests don't expect them to be there, so you have to be prepared once you set up. Or do something ingenious, like use fences, etc to guard some of the legs. I've also used the rails in Main Street to assist with this at WDW. DL, they don't do crowd control that way. At least at the best places to view Remember. And Fantasmic! at DL is a whole other story...

I try to be courteous and watch myself around other guests when setting it up. The Velbon helps in that respect.

Spare batteries: I love the extra grip, esp. from the manufacturer. I haven't gotten it for the 700, but I loved it on the A2E and EOS-3. The Edsel had it built in, so it wasn't an option. With that being said, I see Nikon's D80 grip (which is the same for the D90) allows for either 1 or 2 regular batteries or 6 AA. It's nice to have the option for AA *just in case* your batteries run out while in the park, but with 2 of the rechargables you shouldn't have a problem. I have 2 batteries for my D700 and I've never run out of both during the day yet. The D700's advantage is that the grip allows you to have the battery in the camera as well, so you have a built-in "backup". I would always carry at least one fully charged spare. And charge the battery before going out into the parks if it's been used enough.

10. mSummers

mSummers Member

Like Roger, I use fences, tables, etc to keep people from running into the legs. If I'm by myself, sometimes I'll keep the legs pulled in so they don't stick out as far. If I have family with me, I'll put them on either side of me as extra protection.

Actually its a shoulder strap. Anyway, if you know someone with a sewing machine, you could make one really cheaply, especially if you don't want the shoulder pad or have an old one lying around that you could use. The polypropylene webbing and the other parts aren't that expensive. I'm going to use two 80lb test split rings to connect the D ring on my strap to the shoulder strap connection points on my camera which is more secure than the Rapid Strap connector.

I have the battery grip for the D700 and I love it. Having the vertical grip comes in handy.

11. Scubamickey

Scubamickey Member

Thanks Roger and mSummers. You have some great ideas and i figured you would. :)

Sorry mSummers, I should have looked at the strap more closely to know it was a neck strap. Thanks for the info on how to make your own. I may try that.

I'll have to look into this battery grip. Sounds like it is very useful.

Roger, I know what you mean about DL and their crowd control. I don't think they have any. Infact I gave up on this trip even being in DL at night. Its a mad house and its just not fun when your anywhere around Main Street or Rivers of America. Which I find sad, because I love being in DL at night. Oh well.

Thanks again for all your help.

12. Roger

At least at the Rivers, the crowd control staff wear very nice yellow jackets and use red-colored baton flashlights.

Which is why you close the park and shoot while Main Street's stores are still open for your shopping convenience.

13. Scubamickey

Scubamickey Member

That's so true Roger. I never thought about staying till they close and shoot then. I love the idea, thanks. What are some good setting for shooting Main Street at night?

I agree Rivers crowd control is better then Main St. Gosh one night we were tying to get out of the park from mid Main Street, there were two CM just chatting and not helping direct people. I said to them could use some help over here. We had an ECV in the group.

14. Paul

Paul Member

I don't have the battery grip for the Canon 40D (yet), but a spare battery is just about a must.

OpTech is another company I have heard that makes good straps, but I cannot personally vouch for them.

15. Scubamickey

Scubamickey Member

Paul I was leaning towards getting an OpTech strap. I saw one this weekend and liked it.

What do you guys use to clean your lens of filter while in the parks?

16. gary

gary Member

why you need the official t-mip microfiber, i don't know where they are sold in dl, but in wdw they are at that little photo booth in frontierland just before splash, it's the little pouch with a mickey on it, mine's red, the fiber cloth is attached and pops into the pouch for storage, and the whole thing attaches with a split ring onto my camera strap
    which by the way is optech, i am a big fan of their straps, i don't mind their pro model neck strap at all, carried around an xsi with attached 17-55 2.8 is, not a little or light lens for 9-12 hours a day all over several european cities last year, and 4 straight 15+ hour days at mousefest with no discomfort

17. Roger

I use an Optech strap right now. It does seem to help me think that the rig is lighter.

And I use a Lenspen.

18. Scubamickey

Scubamickey Member

Gary, I think I have one of those your talking about. I use it for sunglasses. They are hard to find at DLR, Ive only seen it at DCA at the store Greetings.

Roger, I have the lenspen, used it over the holiday but it didn't come completely clean. So i left it at the time. Its just on the filter.

Glad to hear the OpTech straps are so well liked. I plan to pick one up this weekend.

This may sounds weird, but is there a better way to attach the strap to the camera? I see you just loop the strap (attachment's) then go through lets call it the buckle(I'm not sure what its called). To me it seems like at some point that could come loose and you could drop your camera. Or its just me new to all this.

19. Roger

My Optech uses a lanyard hitch to connect; while it may look like it loosens at times, as long as the strap is connected to a human body part somehow it basically can't come off the camera.

20. Scubamickey

Scubamickey Member

Thanks Roger.