speaking of large hidden mickeys..

Discussion in 'Hidden Mickeys' started by Dan, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Dan

Dan Member

What do you guys make of this:
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=28.4 ... &z=16&om=1

I'll accept that it may not be a "true" hidden Mickey, especially since it doesn't seem to be on Disney Property.. but.. I was just messing around in Google maps and stumbled across it. And I had to share it. Zoom out enough to compare it to MK and it looks to be nearly as big as the entire park.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i agree that is one large hidden mickey. how in the world did you 'stumble' across it?

3. goofy101

goofy101 Member

Its either a hidden Mickey or Aliens sure know how to make great crop circles over on that side of the pond.

4. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Sounds like some farmer had some fun with I'm guessing an orange grove. It's only a little south of WDW

5. Dan

Dan Member

I found it completely by accident. I started out playing with Google Earth, experimenting with the new "Street view" option which sets new levels of disconcerting levels of detail.. I say disconcerting because it's become a whole new venue for putting pictures of random people online, there's one example where some person on a park bench was discovered picking his nose.. I can't quite come up with a convincing argument against this, but to me it's starting to raise some privacy concerns.
    Still it's an interesting feature, I'm fascinated by the idea of taking a van outfitted with cameras and automatically blanketing an entire city in panoramic photos that allow you to practically drive through the streets by transitioning from one photo to another. You know, when we spend large amounts of time taking and then processing a single panoramic picture,

After I discovered how limited their street level coverage was I switched my focus to Orlando. It's among my favorite targets for satellite viewing, if nothing else I keep hoping for more recent imagery that'll show newer versions of the parks with the updated attractions. But I was getting clumsy, I did my usual trick of first locating Orlando International, then using that for a sense of scale and locating Disney World. No, I don't use landmark streets, I don't know why but that's become my method. If I need to I use Cape Canaveral for additional reference. But somehow I REALLY messed things up. The map wasn't scrolling smoothly enough, I was getting some leftover imagery that was muddling the process, and I got well and truly lost. And then, all of a sudden, there was this ginormous mouse ears pattern right there on my screen.
    I went to Google Earth to see if there was any explanation for it, but there were just three markers mentioning that it was there.

Yeah, it's got to be the work of a creative farmer. But I'm still surprised to see it. I guess farmers would have to have some sense of scale, they'd have to understand the layout of their land, but to make such reasonably perfect circles at that scale still impresses me. I want to say that it suggests a certain skill at surveying, but at the same time a reasonably inexpensive GPS receiver would probably simplify the whole process.

6. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

ya know, dan, you can drop a stickpin on landmarks to 'bookmark' them so you don't have to look for them again... might be helpful for you.

7. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

I know everyone has probably seen this large HM.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="no" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&om=1&ll=28.39595,-81.577542&spn=0.006578,0.010042&z=17&output=embed&s=AARTsJqzARj-Z8VnW5pkPMLMmZbqrJcYpw"></iframe><br/><a href="http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&om=1&ll=28.39595,-81.577542&spn=0.006578,0.010042&z=17&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left;font-size:small">View Larger Map</a>

8. biblioadonis

biblioadonis Member

There was a large article on a forum about this a few months ago. The Orlando Sentinel was trying to figure out what it was. I thought I read about it on the Disney Blog, but I couldn't find a link that talked about what actually happened.

What I can remember of the story is that it was a Disney Hands project that was supposed to be part of a housing project or neighborhood. Disney had planted the trees to offset a building project...or something like that.

This will drive me crazy until I find the article!